Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
This one is thin handkerchief felt too...
P1040548.jpg

This one as well. Undersides are very similar other than different-colored labels and tags. Mine had a wind cord, but it was dangling buttonless, so I removed.

BorsAssFront.jpg

BorsAssLiner.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
becoming a member...

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the forum but I'd love to enter the brotherhood. I own a few Borsalinos, some of them old and purchased on my trips to Italy. What am I requiered to do to apply? just submit photo entries?
many thanks!
Aureliano-

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Submissions...

These are my humble submissions to be considered and hopefully accepted as a member of the Brotherhood.
This is my beloved Borsalino Panama I bought in Milano. I love the fact that it has a wind trolley and that beautiful old pin with the borsalino name. I hope you can appreciate it on the picture. (I'm usually opposed to pins but since this one is sewn into the bow I don't mind) The hat didn't fit me and the owner of the shop only had two left. He added some thin felt under the sweat band and afterwards it was perfect.

DSC04028.jpg

DSC04030.jpg

DSC04031.jpg

My second submission is a Black Borsalino I got in a flea market in Orvieto, Umbria for the ridiculous amount of 5 Euros. The hat has a couple of moth bites under the brim. Also, at the time I bought it, it looked as if someone had spent a lifetime sitting on it. When I got home I had it re-blocked and cleaned.
DSC04032-1.jpg

1.jpg

The third and final one was a gift from one of my wife's uncles when we were visiting Palermo. It's a grey Borsalino kept in almost pristine condition as nobody seemed to care about it anymore. It needed to be stretched half a size. I hand crease this one myself in whatever shape I want. The felt is very soft. The liner though is permanently stained. At some point the outside band was probably grey as well but now looks almost purple. I don't mind it at all.

DSC04023.jpg

DSC04026.jpg

I also own another light grey one that I bought at the Borsalino store in Roma, near Piazza del Popolo but it is a recent one so I'm not posting photos unless requested. I have, as well, a brown Bellagio that I bought at Bencraft, here in NYC. If pictures of me wearing them are needed, I'll post some no problem.
Well, I hope to hear a verdict soon. I hope these selections please you all.
Sincerely,
Aureliano-

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Handkerchief felt?

Michaelshane said:
This one is thin handkerchief felt too...

My Allesandria is the thinest felt I own, but it still holds a shape and takes a bash easily. Is this "handkerchief" felt? Can anyone tell me about it?

Aureliano said:
These are my humble submissions to be considered and hopefully accepted as a member of the Brotherhood.
This is my beloved Borsalino Panama I bought in Milano. I love the fact that it has a wind trolley and that beautiful old pin with the borsalino name. I hope you can appreciate it on the picture. (I'm usually opposed to pins but since this one is sewn into the bow I don't mind) The hat didn't fit me and the owner of the shop only had two left. He added some thin felt under the sweat band and afterwards it was perfect.

The third and final one was a gift from one of my wife's uncles when we were visiting Palermo. It's a grey Borsalino kept in almost pristine condition as nobody seemed to care about it anymore. It needed to be stretched half a size. I hand crease this one myself in whatever shape I want. The felt is very soft. The liner though is permanently stained. At some point the outside band was probably grey as well but now looks almost purple. I don't mind it at all.

DSC04023.jpg

DSC04026.jpg

Really like this one.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
My Allesandria is the thinest felt I own, but it still holds a shape and takes a bash easily. Is this "handkerchief" felt? Can anyone tell me about it?

I hadn't heard the term 'handkerchief felt' before, but knew immediately what he meant. I had an extremely soft, floppy Borsalino that I had a pro re-bash - the steam brought a little stiffness back, and it was a great hat; however, I now have one that is just as soft, but even thinner felt. It would not hold a bash at all without steam. Even with steam, there were a few creases (like if you folded paper) that would not come out - also, several bumps.

Yesterday I re-blocked to get rid of the 'fold' lines. Here are pics after re-blocking and creasing (did'nt need steam).

BorsAllesBlock.jpg

BorsAllesCrease.jpg

BorsAllesSide.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
I was at Levine Hat co In St. Louis a month ago. And if I am not mistaken they had a supply of vintage Borsolinos. All were size 7 and under, but might be worth a call or trip if you are looking...(314) 231-3359

kaosharper1

One Too Many
ScottF said:
I hadn't heard the term 'handkerchief felt' before, but knew immediately what he meant. I had an extremely soft, floppy Borsalino that I had a pro re-bash - the steam brought a little stiffness back, and it was a great hat; however, I now have one that is just as soft, but even thinner felt. It would not hold a bash at all without steam. Even with steam, there were a few creases (like if you folded paper) that would not come out - also, several bumps.

Yesterday I re-blocked to get rid of the 'fold' lines. Here are pics after re-blocking and creasing (did'nt need steam).

[/IMG]

That looks like mine, except I have a wind trolley. It is a really nice felt. I found that just using a spray bottle will get out creases too.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
Scott that is a fine looking Borso!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Colby Jack. Seems like 4-5 just like this one have popped up in the Lounge recently. I hope anyone who likes the OR style gets a chance to handle the Borso version - I haven't seen this thin felt in any other Borsalinos (granted, my exposure is limited compared to most of the rest of you).

kaosharper1 said:
That looks like mine, except I have a wind trolley. It is a really nice felt. I found that just using a spray bottle will get out creases too.

Mine had the rubber-bandish string from the trolley hanging off, so I cut it.

Mine had some paper-fold type creases running horizontal through the side creases, plus another on each side where the brim snaps. I couldn't get any of them completely out with steam. Even after re-blocking, the two at the brim snap are coming back - I think it's just the nature of the felt.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Made in Italy?

How can you tell if a Borsalino is one that was NOT made in Italy? I thought that if it didn't say "Made in Italy" on the sweatband next to the embossed "Borsalino" logo, that it might be one of the Eastern European ones; however, I've seen several without "Made in Italy" that had Rome or Florence hat shops either embossed on the other side of the sweatband, or as part of the liner logo.

Any ideas?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
How can you tell if a Borsalino is one that was NOT made in Italy? I thought that if it didn't say "Made in Italy" on the sweatband next to the embossed "Borsalino" logo, that it might be one of the Eastern European ones; however, I've seen several without "Made in Italy" that had Rome or Florence hat shops either embossed on the other side of the sweatband, or as part of the liner logo.

Any ideas?

I hope this isn't one of those 'collector secrets' - I have the opportunity to pick up a nice Borsalino, but it doesn't say 'Made in Italy' - since this might involve some decent-size bucks, I want to feel comfortable I'm not buying a non-Italian version.

No one has thoughts on this?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I just got home and look at the Borsalinos I own. All purchased in Italy. One, a modern one I got at the borsalino store in Roma says "made in Italy" the other 3, which I got in small hat shops and are much older (logos on liners) don't say made in Italy. Maybe they started doing that once they began exporting them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe