Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tax refund, what jacket to get?

I don't know why do we even bother when Nick's gonna get one of these:

east-west.jpeg

front2_l.jpeg

c34896fe52d67f875cec0cb447a25783.jpg

Vintage-East-West-Musical-Instrument-Jacket-1.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This is a fun thread. Thanks all. Still clueless. The only tangible progress made is the re-introduction of those hippie jackets in my mind. Boy, I need one of those. Aero still doing it? Last time I checked they were, but I felt like I was being a nag for inquiring about a defunct model!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Easy one for me; a car coat: eg Himel Canuck, Freewheelers Brakeman, Aero Premier Car Coat, or Whitefeather 30s Car Coat.

One is destined to be mine, and hoping to hear back from Fardin soon on a WF :)

Enjoy planning, Nick. That's like 85% of the fun for me
This would definitely be my vote. Car coat would be epic, especially from Himel or Freewheelers.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Other ideas:

A tattoo, a late 50s G1 and a Papa Nui Canoe Club cap; or tadpole tiger stripe shorts and boonie, a couple plain white tees and some AO aviators; or maybe just a hell of a lot of pizza!

Edward

Bartender
Contenders:

Aero Highwayman attempt two

I'd rule this out first. The HWM is a great jacket.... but it's not a hard one to get a good fit on, there are a lot of them around eve on the used market, and so it's not the same 'once in a lifetime' purchase as some other jackets might be. Which is not to do it down, I adore mine, but.... in your shoes, I'dbe looking something just a bit different. Unless, of course, you want to have the chance of buying an Aero direct from Gala, but stock (as they do keep 'em in...). That said, a special-order midnight blue HWM, pecially the 59er model, with a red lining..... oh, my.....

ELC A-1 (not the .50 cal version)

A Buzz or RMC MA-1

Keep seeking a deal on eBay...

Bootlegger
30s half belt

Could be on something here. A really specc'ed out Hb is a thing of beauty. The Bootlegger in particular is something else: as 'wearable' with collar and tie or denim as the HB, but just that bit different than the herd....

Diamond Buco J-100 or A-2

Styls of which good, second hand examples can easily be found....

Lewis Universal Racer Mk 11 or Dominator, possibly in Navy (or hang around for the blue Vicenza)

Definite contenders...

Vanson America jacket (probably not, but I periodically lust after one of those)

nah....

Any A-2

Any G-1 or 22a (I'm thinking Eastman here. BK also makes a nice 22a. As does Steve).

Again, not hard things to find anytime - I'd be looking for the 'different' here...

Norshor (minus the d-pocket)

Possible: Mark does very nice work.

Somehow find a used GW in a long size

Slim chances! Could put it down in a savings account, thoug,h if you want to wait out the two years, and add to it over time....

Invest the money. You probably have enough jackets already!

Heretic! Burn him!

This is a fun thread. Thanks all. Still clueless. The only tangible progress made is the re-introduction of those hippie jackets in my mind. Boy, I need one of those. Aero still doing it? Last time I checked they were, but I felt like I was being a nag for inquiring about a defunct model!

Heh. I suppose you can only ask. It's not on the website and I'd be surprised given that when I was there in 2014, I gathered that there's a nominal stoppage point in Ken's vision for Aero as 1960, style-wise. I heartily approve of this, myself. ;)

Seriouly, though..... I think the question to ask yourself is not "which model" but to think about what 'role' you want the jacket to fulfill. Is it a statement piec,e or a riding jacket, or something you want to be able to wear any day, with anything, or.....

Mark

Practically Family
One of the best jackets I own is my BK A1 in seal brown capeskin. An easy jacket to over-look but it's a beauty, easy wear, lovely soft characterful leather.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
So long story short this is the first time in my adult life I don't owe taxes. I'm just as surprised as I am. Now, the immediate question is: what jacket to buy? :eek: What is everyone currently drooling on?

I know the answer is, "do what your heart fancies Nick", but I have no heart, and I like just about everything, so I ask the fine people on this forum.

Fire away!
I recommend an Aero Mulligan in cxfqhh -Handsome,great character,and possibly all the jacket you will ever need

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As all The Europeans on the Lounge will attest, you might be void of direct tax but your leather, if bought on our side of the pond, will attract an indirect tax known as Value Added Tax of 20%, (UK) and more or less the same across the continent. You could invest it wisely or..............

tan biker jacket.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Healthier than crack, right? Lol
Healthier than crack, right? Lol
Barely lol. I just got a good contact at The Flat Head and my next jacket will be from them actually. I need a black one and of course that means black boots to go with my Lofgren and clinch engineers. My fiance and I are planning on a trip up the west coast ending in Canada and we know which boot maker lives there... plus I'm visiting the flat head factory next summer most likely so yeah... better than crack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe