Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweet Hat! Now let's work on those eyeglasses.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
J.T.Marcus said:
Barry, Looking good! It's great to hear from you. I do believe yo got exactly the look you were going for, with those frames. By the way, what's the hat? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, J.T. The hat is an Ebay win from a little while back. I was under the ipression, upon reading the auction desctiption, that it was a Dobbs, and a Dobbs box was pictured in the auction details.

Well, the hat arrived, open crowned, in a Dobbs box, but it wasn't a Dobbs hat. It is a small, independent hat manufacturer it appears.....It has a moth bite in it, but that's not noticable when I'm wearing it.

The felt is as soft as a tissue, and I really like the look of the hat, so, although not the Dobbs I was hoping it to be, I was pretty pleased with it, considering I got the hat, the box and paid shipping, all for about thirty some dollars as I recall.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
JT, I think you could really pull off the Truman style frames and look great. Some frame styles just go with a face.

I'm thinking about one of these for reading glasses. I always swtich glasses for reading... can't quite admit to needing bifocals. :)

AFB00100.jpg

round14kacetate.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
scotrace said:

Staying true to the brand you sport in your avatar, eh?

After a long search, I came up with them, ordered a pair (black/silver, cable temples, no nose pads, smallest, which is still rather medium) and found out the old ones I had in grammar school were from the same makers.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Scotrace, thank-you for the frames suggestion. I used to have something close. I now wear "graduated bi-focals" (lineless). However, the reading area is so small, I do most of my work using off the shelf readers. In addition to your suggestion, I'm considering "rimless" and Lasik (Did I spell that right?).

Masonjar

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
I think you're right, Scott. As a semi-blind, myself, i spent many years fussing and fretting over finding the "perfect" glasses. I knew what i wanted: The Malcolm X Glasses, as i called them at that time. It turned out they were Shuron Ronsir Zyl, and i don't think a more quintessential pair of 1950s spectacles exists (perhaps the NHS glasses, but those are terrible). However, do they look good on my face? I think so, but i've had negative comments. What do you people think? The less said about the "beard" the better.

Hi I'm new here.. I'm a bit obsessed with the Ronsir/Browline style right now, I've been wanting a pair for a few years, right now I have dark brown horn-rims, and I'm trying to decide on my next pair right now.

Yea, I think those glasses suit your face just fine. I think that this style is going to increase in popularity in the next few years, but for right now, I think it's a very bold fashion statement. I'm a bit concerned that since the lense in these frames is round-ish, that they won't work very well on my face (my face is round-ish). I've found a pair of frames from Paul Smith that I can't wait to try on, because I think they'll work for me. Here's a link, they're the 2nd one from the left, a heavy brow-line with more squared-off wire frames underneath.

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/collections/ps_ss2007_optical/collection.html

Here's some other sources for the Ronsir/Browline/Clubman/Malcolm X style of glasses:

http://www.eyeglassboy.com/mens_vintage_eyeglasses.html

http://www.optometristattic.com/COMBINATIONS.htm

take care,
Mason

Masonjar

New in Town
BJBAmerica said:
I initially ordered a pair of Shuron Freeway frames, but wasn't happy with them when they arrived. My mind kept picturing the frames Johnny Depp wore in The Secret Window, the same style frames he still wears today, traditional 50's, horn rimmed. Those were what I wanted, and thought the Shuron Freeways would fit the bill. Unfortunately, they didn't so I returned them and did a little more research on the web as to what brand/make frame Depp used. Were they vintage or repro?

Well, I found that the glasses are made exclusively for a small optical firm in New York City called Sol Moscot's. They have a line of "Moscot Original" frames, all based on older styled frames. The frame used by Depp is called the "Lemtosh", and I ordered a pair and had the optical unit at my eye doctor's office fit them with my new prescription. I'm very pleased with them, and think they carry off that vintage look well. I opted for a tortoise shell color, but they are available in black and a black/clear also

Not only do they remind me of the glasses Depp wore, to whom I bear not even theslighest resemblance, nor do I wish to, but they remind me of the frames my Grandfather wore from the 60's onward to the 80's.

As I'm sure you noticed, the Freeways are more "swooped" over the nose. I've read a lot of articles that claim Johnny Depp wears the Freeways, but they're just not the same. From the front, Freeways (and Shuron's Sidewinder) both sort of look like Ray-Ban's Wayfarers (which they just re-introduced, in both sunglasses and prescription).

Here's a company that also sells what they call "Johnny Depp Style" reproductions:

http://operaopera.net/page8.htm

-Mason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe