Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweet Hat! Now let's work on those eyeglasses.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Lucky said:
I alternate between two pair -
P1010001_1.jpg

AND

P1010004_6.jpg

Both are contemporary Ray Ban models. Comments?

They work for me! Contemporary, but classic lines.

dean

deanglen

A Eyeware Study From History: John Garand

In order to see vintage frames in their time period, and to appreciate styles that one could call "classic" I offer John Garand, inventor of the M1 Garand, the rifle of reknown in US military history.

1940s.
Garand20at20awards20c1944_jpg.jpg

1950s, in retirement.

Garand_with_family_1950s.jpg

At age 83.

Garand20in20retirement.jpg

Unspecified circa

Garand-for-his-page-1.gif

His style apparently suited him quite well, until the late fifties or sixties, but whatever the era, he chose frames that worked well with his facial type. Not uncommon styles of eyeware for those decades.

dean

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have two pairs I rotate between now:
silver metal
IMG_4043.jpg

black halfrimmed
IMG_4008.jpg

used to be these hornrimmed ones, but probably being worn by some alaskan bear at this point.
MeinPub.jpg

Vintage Betty

Unfortunately, women's glasses during the 1950's look terribly ugly on me. Yuck, ick and ohmygoodnessthoselookawful.

I'm envious of you guys.

And yes I wear glasses, so I'm very interested in this thread.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

You'd think..but than I look at the lovely ladies of the Lounge who wear cat glasses and think to myself...."How'd they do that?" They look great! :cool2:

Vintage Betty

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hackett Frames

I recently bought a pair of the UK firm Hackett (famous mens store) which are now doing heritage style specs but still hip enough to be modern. Sorry I have not got pix but they are nice at AUD350. A little elongated to avoid the Harry Potter look.

duggap

Banned
Well I don't need glasses except to read so I don't worry much about it. But I do think it is important to get the right pair of sunglasses for the outfit. I lost (stolen) my old aviator flight glasses so I am contemporary now. :rolleyes:

deanglen

An Historical Eyeglasses/Hat style study from history

Found this great picture. Notice hat/eyeglasses combo on Gov. Earl Warren, only one wearing glasses, to say nothing of that hat style, ribbon variations, and suit cuts:

untitled-2.jpg

Title:The Big Three. Mackinac Island ... crossing from Mackinac City to Mackinac Island for the Republican Conference yesterday are (left to right) Governor Earl Warren of California; Gov. Thomas E. Dewey of New York; and Gov. John W. Bicker of Ohio. All presidential possibilities, they are the big three of the GOP. Dewey threw a bombshell alliance with Britain and other United Nations after the war. 9/6/43

dean

I suppose my constant need for dark-tinted lenses is a good thing here, all I need is a pair of prescription-lensed aviator shades and I'll be Good2Go. I almost feel sorry for you folks with less-sensitive eyes on this one...:D lol

(maybe prescription-lens a pair of vintage readers for my preferred low-light conditions...)

deanglen

J.T.Marcus said:
deanglen, Super photo. I couldn't help but notice: the wider the suit lapels, the wider the hat brim.

Great point, J.T.! And notice the high crown on what I think is an Open Road on the governor of Ohio on the right.
untitled-2.jpg

dean

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:

I think they work with you (you look oddly like Stephen Dorf in the photo above, BTW). I agree, they are extremely fifties - I also think they'd work for a sixties look as well (I associate them with sharply dressed, shadowy secret service guys surrounding JFK also). If I was looking for something more period in glasses, I'd considered buying an old pair of Ray Ban Clubmaster frames and having those fitted with some prescription lenses (there's a quite a trade on ebay in lense-less Ray Bans, and they tend to go cheaper because obviously a big part of what you actually pay for in a Ray Ban is thed quality of the lenses). As it is, I recentlyh bought a couple of complete pairs of Clubmasters (one tortoiseshell, one black) for suit wear. Much classier than a Wayfarer with a suit, unless it's Bues Brothers fancy dress night.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
I've always had a soft spot for vintage and "retro" glasses.....I've worn them since my freshman year in college, and have had quite a number of different styles over the years. Never really chose anything over the top or trendy, I've always stuck to a more conservative frame.

I had to have a new prescription in April of this year and decided to start looking for something I really wanted rather than just going into the eye doctor's office and selecting something from thier available line of frames.

I initially ordered a pair of Shuron Freeway frames, but wasn't happy with them when they arrived. My mind kept picturing the frames Johnny Depp wore in The Secret Window, the same style frames he still wears today, traditional 50's, horn rimmed. Those were what I wanted, and thought the Shuron Freeways would fit the bill. Unfortunately, they didn't so I returned them and did a little more research on the web as to what brand/make frame Depp used. Were they vintage or repro?

Well, I found that the glasses are made exclusively for a small optical firm in New York City called Sol Moscot's. They have a line of "Moscot Original" frames, all based on older styled frames. The frame used by Depp is called the "Lemtosh", and I ordered a pair and had the optical unit at my eye doctor's office fit them with my new prescription. I'm very pleased with them, and think they carry off that vintage look well. I opted for a tortoise shell color, but they are available in black and a black/clear also

Not only do they remind me of the glasses Depp wore, to whom I bear not even theslighest resemblance, nor do I wish to, but they remind me of the frames my Grandfather wore from the 60's onward to the 80's.

So here is a picture of me with the Moscot Original "Lemtosh" frames (wearing my hat because I still have "chemo hair", meaning none since my last treatment) and a picture of my Grandfather from about 1970 wearing a similar frame style, in black :

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Barry, Looking good! It's great to hear from you. I do believe yo got exactly the look you were going for, with those frames. By the way, what's the hat? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe