Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit critique please?

Rooster

Practically Family
So, what do you guys (and gals) think of this? Be as brutal or complimentary as you like. I'll fill you in on my opinion in a bit.
mag1.jpg
[/IMG]

mag2.jpg
[/IMG]
mag4.jpg
[/IMG]
mag3.jpg
[/IMG]
Here's the pants.....
mag8.jpg
[/IMG]
mag7.jpg
[/IMG]
mag6.jpg
[/IMG]
mag5.jpg
[/IMG]

GBR

One of the Regulars
Trousers with high rise for braces - and enormous belt loops. Very rustic.

The strap around the back of the trousers is quite weird too. Whilst a short one centre back is quite normal especially in quintessential English trousers from the Row this one is not something I have seen or would fancy. I would suspect that it will pull the trousers rather than provide gentle adjustment.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
It's very interesting, albeit not really to my taste. Is it cotton or something similar? I wondered, given the way the bellows are showing, whether it might be a little tight across the back? It also looks a little short in the arms?

Feraud

Bartender
The Jacket. I like the front. The belted back seems to sit at your waistline and looks fine. Are there any pleats on the back? I could not tell but would prefer them.

Pants. The rise looks a bit low to justify the belt and buckle rear. I believe the waist would have to be higher so the action of the rear strap would tighten around your waist and not as it looks, your rear end.

What kind of material is the suit? Looks like cotton.

The suit needs.... a hat! ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So you got your Marrakesh! I should be so lucky as to have mine look half as good as yours! The sleeves look a wee bit short, and the pleats in the back of the jacket look a little . . . like maybe funny. The trousers could come up a little higher, as was mentioned. You obviously did about 1,000% better job with your measurements than I did. How do you feel about it?
BTW, if those are the cornfields of Iowa behind you, then Iowa is looking mighty nice these days.
Oh, yes. Did you specify suspender buttons? Mine didn't come with them.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Very distinctive! I'd agree with it needing to be broken in. Looks just a touch tight through the midsection.

The trousers' back belt is interesting, although it looks as if it's placed too low to be effective. Purely my opinion, of course.

Looks sharp. How heavy is the fabric? Is it a good hot weather weight?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The jacket's sleeve length is fine, Rooster. What you need to do instead is wear a shirt with sleeves long enough for the cuffs to peek out.

The fabric looks like a rigid cotton poplin or gabardine. Very preppy, but seems a bit stiff -- like a brown paper bag before it's been rumpled.

The trouser's cinch back belt is too low. It should cinch at the base of the spine, not at the tailbone.

Over all, I like it!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Marrakesh suit is meant to be sort of an adventury suit, so I would think a french cuff would not be appropriate. I would like to see how it looks with regular length sleeves, tho.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Good point ias that it isn't a plain old suit.
Now for critique

I'm just not a fan of the fabric. Is is a cotton? and if so I'm not a fan of green cotton for full suits.

As Marc said the back belt of the trousers is too low. From the look of the jacket It could be a Magnoli or Mycustom tailor suit... though I'm not sure.

I think a better fabric would make a better suit.

Rooster

Practically Family
This is the new Marrakesh suit from Magnoli. It's made of 11oz cotton twill, it would be fine except for the hottest part of summer around here. The sleeve length problem is probably me, you'll notice every picture of me I hold my left shoulder lower due to the fact that I've been crunched a few times too many. Probably makes the one sleeve pull up a bit. Longer shirt sleeves will help that problem I believe. Let me say, this is a high quality suit, nicely made. However it does have a few "issues". The Action back pleats stay open once you move. It's fine as long as you don't move, but once you reach out the action back pleats open and never return closed. Somewhat annoying. I'm wondering if the belted back may be a bit high and this is causing the problem?
On to the pants. These are the Nassau pants. I've got them pulled clear up to the ol' twig and berries, and that's as far as they go. Not what I would call high waisted. If they were high waisted the adjustment belt in the back would be in the right place.
Thanks for your input. and please continue with more.:)

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
The Marrakesh suit is meant to be sort of an adventury suit, so I would think a french cuff would not be appropriate. I would like to see how it looks with regular length sleeves, tho.
Yeah but no one is really going to pay a few hundred dollars for a suit to fight Nazi's in. ;)

As Marc noted, a shirt showing some cuff will balance out the sleeves.
I suggest french cuffs because what good is looking at plain ol' button cuffs. :)

GBR

One of the Regulars
Rooster said:
This is the new Marrakesh suit from Magnoli. It's made of 11oz cotton twill, it would be fine except for the hottest part of summer around here. The sleeve length problem is probably me, you'll notice every picture of me I hold my left shoulder lower due to the fact that I've been crunched a few times too many. Probably makes the one sleeve pull up a bit. Longer shirt sleeves will help that problem I believe. Let me say, this is a high quality suit, nicely made. However it does have a few "issues". The Action back pleats stay open once you move. It's fine as long as you don't move, but once you reach out the action back pleats open and never return closed. Somewhat annoying. I'm wondering if the belted back may be a bit high and this is causing the problem?
On to the pants. These are the Nassau pants. I've got them pulled clear up to the ol' twig and berries, and that's as far as they go. Not what I would call high waisted. If they were high waisted the adjustment belt in the back would be in the right place.
Thanks for your input. and please continue with more.:)

Oh dear.

I had thought it some sort of hic suit from the far past. If it is new then I fear I would have to be quite rude about the jacket (sleeve length and general 'fit') as well as the trousers which quite apart from the peculiar style are wierd.

However it ill behoves any of us to berate someone's choice even if recent Magnoli offerings have merited severe criticism.

To me this is the final nail in the coffin of email purchase of MTM suits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley