Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange questions about your town

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
koopkooper said:
Whilst visiting Florida I was asked what country I was from, I said "Australia" and the guy said "isn't that where Hitler was born"

And in Austria, people want to know where the kangaroos are :)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

I used to work in downtown Seattle and walk about a mile from the train to my office. On more than one occasion I have had the following conversation with tourist.

How do I get to the Space Needle? (of course it is in plain view from where we were standing)

My usual response is pointing, "it's right there, just start walking that direction."

pretty faythe

One Too Many
koopkooper said:
Whilst visiting Florida I was asked what country I was from, I said "Australia" and the guy said "isn't that where Hitler was born"

On the same trip to the States I was in Ohio and a girl asked me what language we speak in Australia! I guess she hadn't heard about the whole colonisation thing that happened a couple of hundred years ago from England.
Interestingly this same girl asked me where I was going next and I told her Indianapolis, she then asked where that was!!!! I am guessing history and geography isn't big with Americans.

uhh oooo....Unfortunately I have relatives in Ohio and those questions sound painfully like something they would ask.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
While travelling the globe, and being Australian I have been asked
Do you have cars in Australia?
Is Australia the same size as Hawaii?
Do you live near the Aborigines? To be honest I've never seen a real Aborigine
You can't be Australian, you have the wrong accent???
Do you speak English?
Is that in Europe or near Alaska?
And this one while travelling by train in Australia, some tourists asked where they could see Kangaroos. Well at the zoo of course. We were passing by a golf course, rural area, and often Kangaroos will be grazing on the golf course in the early morning.I told them to keep an eye out on the golf course as we passed. Their reply "Do Kangaroos play golf" :eusa_doh:

pretty faythe

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
While travelling the globe, and being Australian I have been asked
Do you have cars in Australia?
Is Australia the same size as Hawaii?
Do you live near the Aborigines? To be honest I've never seen a real Aborigine
You can't be Australian, you have the wrong accent???
Do you speak English?
And this one while travelling by train in Australia, some tourists asked where they could see Kangaroos. Well at the zoo of course. We were passing by a golf course, rural area, and often Kangaroos will be grazing on the golf course in the early morning.I told them to keep an eye out on the golf course as we passed. Their reply "Do Kangaroos play golf" :eusa_doh:

Yeah, they play, they just don't yell out "FORE" when their about to hit someone with a ball upside the head. lol

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
goldwyn girl said:

Most maps of the US don't show Alaska to scale (since it, E-W, is about as wide as the Lower 48).

They park us below California, off the coast of Baja. For folks who only ever saw the map in a classroom, the mistake is dumb, but understandable.

Hey neighbor! :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A lot of U.S. territories aren't even shown on U.S. maps. A friend of mine once asked, "What country does Puerto Rico belong to?" :eek:

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
carebear said:
Most maps of the US don't show Alaska to scale (since it, E-W, is about as wide as the Lower 48).

They park us below California, off the coast of Baja. For folks who only ever saw the map in a classroom, the mistake is dumb, but understandable.

Hey neighbor! :D

Now that you mention that I, remember seeing Hawaii under Texas on a weather map on the news the other week. No sign of Alaska that I recall.
Borrow a cup of sugar neighbor :)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
goldwyn girl said:
Now that you mention that I, remember seeing Hawaii under Texas on a weather map on the news the other week. No sign of Alaska that I recall.
Borrow a cup of sugar neighbor :)

I'll give it to my pet polar bear, he can take it over to your kangaroo to bring to you.

Amelie

A-List Customer
Most weird questions here are related to our language
"Anyway, you are absolutely bilingual, like everyone speaks english in Quebec nah?
-Errrr....
-How can people not be?
-Well they are not, we are a francophone province here, technically, there is no need for english"

and something else
"Why do you continue to speak french? there is no need for french, everywhere besides is speaking english
-Well, it's our culture and our heritage
-How come that matters?
-... :eusa_doh: "

And there is the french making "fun" of us
"What have you said? Is that english?
-No... I was saying "t'as-tu vu passer l'avion?"
-Sorry? I don't understand
- Nerver mind...

(the french seems to have a terrible gift to make absolutely no efforts understanding our accent since "they don't have one"(well, some of them, not most of them(not the accent, the effort lol ))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley