Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange questions about your town

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Whenever we travel and tell someone we're from Iowa we are almost always asked...

Do you live on a farm?
Do you grow corn?
Do you have a pig?

The answers are, No, No, and No, but I do really like the movie "State Fair". :)

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
Hawkcigar said:
Whenever we travel and tell someone we're from Iowa we are almost always asked...

Do you live on a farm?
Do you grow corn?
Do you have a pig?

The answers are, No, No, and No, but I do really like the movie "State Fair". :)

Same with me! I was a townie! lol

Where in Iowa are you from?

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
fourstarbanner said:
Same with me! I was a townie! lol

Where in Iowa are you from?

I was originally born in the small town of Ottumwa but have lived in Iowa City for most of my life.

What are your Iowa ties?

vonwotan

Practically Family
One question about the City of my birth, and one suggestive question about whether I was raised in a small berg arrested in time. I think my sin on that day was smiling and saying hello to a stranger on the street.

"You're from New York? But why don't you have the accent?"

and

"What, were you raised in a one light town stuck in the '50s?" In a rare moment of eloquence I managed to respond - "I was raised on a small island off the east coast where everyone still greeted their neighbors [pause while my slack jawed new friend stared] perhaps you've heard on Manhattan?" I'm not sure that went over very well.

Snookie

Practically Family
:Jumping on the Iowa bandwagon: Hey, I went to college in Grinnell! I didn't get away from I-80 much, unfortunately. I got lots of "hey, don't they grow potatoes out there??"

Interestingly, I've had several experiences going to the Mid-West, and having to fight an assumption that I'm stuck up because I'm from Los Angeles. (This was among high school and college kids, so I don't hold any grudges. :) ) They didn't get that I was just born that way, not the environment!!;)

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
whenever anyone finds out i'm from Birmingham they just revert into a typical brummy accent which gets to me a bit. " you all talk like that you do. yam yams"

if you had to ask where i was from then i obviously don't have an accent, do i?

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
Good one, Snookie! lol

Its strange-I only moved a state or so away and they still think its a completely different world in Iowa. I will admit we have better corn, though!

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Not the smartest bloke in the crowd

Emmababy said:
whenever anyone finds out i'm from Birmingham they just revert into a typical brummy accent which gets to me a bit. " you all talk like that you do. yam yams"

Perhaps :eek:fftopic: but I heard that one Billy Bragg, upon playing concert dates it the U S., noted that some of our city's names are the same (or similar as in 'New') as in England....no comment.

Phil

A-List Customer
Shirts

It's not so much about the town. BUt when I buy a shirt from another city or state, I'll wear it there if I'm out of clothes or at home in my regular cycle. I get asked in both places, on the street, if I'm from the town on the shirt.
(It's 2:13 AM, sorry if that doesn't make sense)

Flivver

Practically Family
I grew up in Worcester, MA...about 40 miles west of Boston. Being in such close proximity to Boston, we were always in their shadow. My favorite comment about Worcester occurred several months into a new job in Boston, when a co worker said to me:
"You're from the Midwest...right?
I replied, "No, I grew up in Worcester".
"That's what I mean...the Midwest!" she replied.

Novella

Practically Family
Emmababy said:

Accents? I would just pester you about Cadbury chocolate. :)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
vonwotan said:
One question about the City of my birth, and one suggestive question about whether I was raised in a small berg arrested in time. I think my sin on that day was smiling and saying hello to a stranger on the street.

"You're from New York? But why don't you have the accent?"
Same here... I've had so many northerners insist, when they ask where I'm from and I tell them I'm a native North Carolinian, "No, you didn't grow up in North Carolina! You don't have an accent! Connecticut?"

All I can say is, "sorry, you're mistaken..." [huh]

koopkooper

Practically Family
Whilst visiting Florida I was asked what country I was from, I said "Australia" and the guy said "isn't that where Hitler was born"

On the same trip to the States I was in Ohio and a girl asked me what language we speak in Australia! I guess she hadn't heard about the whole colonisation thing that happened a couple of hundred years ago from England.
Interestingly this same girl asked me where I was going next and I told her Indianapolis, she then asked where that was!!!! I am guessing history and geography isn't big with Americans.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
koopkooper said:
Whilst visiting Florida I was asked what country I was from, I said "Australia" and the guy said "isn't that where Hitler was born"

On the same trip to the States I was in Ohio and a girl asked me what language we speak in Australia! I guess she hadn't heard about the whole colonisation thing that happened a couple of hundred years ago from England.
Interestingly this same girl asked me where I was going next and I told her Indianapolis, she then asked where that was!!!! I am guessing history and geography isn't big with Americans.

Some, but I'm sure idiots come from every nationality...

Nah, it's mostly Americans. :eusa_doh:

:D

Kimberly

Practically Family
koopkooper said:

lol I shouldn't laugh but I can't help myself. Just when you thought you have heard it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley