Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 3X Western Fedora

barrowjh

One Too Many
I have seen others on FL presuming that the 'x' ratings were for westerns only, but I have two 3X Stetson fedoras (both with mode edges, both with 2 3/4 brims). Neither is a full western weight, but both are every bit of hat you would expect for full winter weight - definitely not lightweight hats. I'm not sure these add much to the discussion here, but will throw them in anyway.
This is the sweatband Stetson 3X crest, same on both hats -
IMG_1465.jpg

The green 3X:
Picture24.jpg

Tan 3X Stetson Fifteen:
Picture25.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Hatophile, it is not an olive but shades more to the grey-blue, so I guess maybe a light forest green? It originally had a bronze ribbon similar to the colors on the tan hat, but the ribbon was shot and the current ribbon is the best that Falcon Park could come up with for the hat. In the picture of me wearing the tan hat, an olive borsalino is off my right shoulder and the green 3X is just below my left shoulder.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks, dano - I am partial to the greens. The borsalino off my right elbow generally draws compliments also - these two are definitely favorites. I have other greens, but none as nice as these two (regarding how they look on me, not condition of the hats).

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
For the record, I thought I'd update this thread to add some information contributed by buler. Based upon materials from Stetson, here is a U.S. Forest Service Field Hat:

stetson_the_hat_of_the_west_29.jpg

And, here, for reference is my lid:

3XFS-2.jpg

After digging through my own archives, here is a hat that was on the 'bay, listed as a U.S. Forest Service hat:

forestservicehat.jpg

And, for reference, here is the auction shot of the NYS Conservation Service hat:

StetsonNYSConServ.jpg

My 3X has the exact brim dimensions and general proportions as the Forest Service Field Hat depicted in buler's materials -- and the same ribbon treatment. Add to that the fact that this exact color scheme was used for both the Forest Service hat and the Stetson New York Conservation Service hat depicted in the above photos, and I'm fairly convinced that buler's info really does ID this hat as a Forest Service Field Hat (in terms of build and style). That would also explain what I have previously described as the sturdy nature of the felt -- makes sense, given its intended use.

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:
Very interesting, Jimmy. Does yours have a wind cord? I can't tell from the picture. Do you think your color is standard, or did they make other colors as well? I realize the ad is a drawing, but it almost looks like a silverbelly with a dark ribbon.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
More Western 3X- Arminto variation

stetson_the_hat_of_the_west_17.jpg

5467832167_9a56b8b675_b.jpg
5467805583_9c3c484a21_z.jpg
5467803731_6dc1565ca0_z.jpg

Its actually a green 6-cord--another digital sensor that can't get olive tones at all.

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting, Jimmy. Does yours have a wind cord? I can't tell from the picture. Do you think your color is standard, or did they make other colors as well? I realize the ad is a drawing, but it almost looks like a silverbelly with a dark ribbon.

Yes, mine has a wind cord. I'm wondering whether the presence of the wind cord means that this version of the lid was marketed more generally to the public. [huh]

Yes -- my hunch (based upon the additional photos that I have added above) is that this was a fairly standard color scheme for the Forest Service lids. Sure doesn't rule out Stetson providing it in different colors to different clients, however.

Cheers,
JtL

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Nice find! I'm a bit surprised that all the steam required to form the arrowhead crease didn't make that crown sticker come loose. That's some glue!

Was that an ebay score?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice find! I'm a bit surprised that all the steam required to form the arrowhead crease didn't make that crown sticker come loose. That's some glue!

Was that an ebay score?

Thanks. I had to be very careful in creasing the lid to work around the sticker as much as possible, which was a bit of a challenge. And, yes -- I fished it out of the 'bay. ;)

Yes, mine has a wind cord. I'm wondering whether the presence of the wind cord means that this version of the lid was marketed more generally to the public. [huh]

Yes -- my hunch (based upon the additional photos that I have added above) is that this was a fairly standard color scheme for the Forest Service lids. Sure doesn't rule out Stetson providing it in different colors to different clients, however.

Cheers,
JtL

Very nice hat, looks good and probably pretty durable with the western weight. I would think it would be a nice-looking outdoor hat for the general public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael