Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have been recently told, though, that I hold the steering wheel wrong -- I've always held it at ten of two, but the kids tell me you're supposed to hold it at 7:20 now. That feels unnatural and uncomfortable, especially since my midriff gets in the way. What, you have to be skinny now to drive?

No, just have longer arms and legs for when you move the seat back.

3fingers

One Too Many
Before making any turn, whether onto another roadway, a parking lot, another traffic lane, or leaving a parked position, it is important that you signal.
Pffft. Here the trend seems to be to signal after you have already begun the turn. I suppose I should be satisfied that they signalled at all.

Pffft. Here the trend seems to be to signal after you have already begun the turn. I suppose I should be satisfied that they signalled at all.

Or, those who come to a stop at the red traffic light and then, when the light turns green, decide that is when to activate the left turn indicator. Geez, Mr. or Ms. Only Car on the Road, had I known you were gonna turn left, I would have been in the right lane and going on about my business rather than being stuck behind you until the light turns red again and you make your left turn.

I believe that the 7:20 hand position came into use adter the introduction of air bags in the center of the steering wheel. Should a center air bag deploy when a driver has her hands positioned at 10:10, there is a good chance that the air bag would fracture an ulna. The almost universal adoption of power assisted steering allows reasonable control with the hands at 7:20
The last time I had heard any "official" instruction in this regard I was told that the old "hands at 10 and 2" method had been changed to "9 and 3" because of air bags, but the reason given was that a deploying steering wheel air bag would force the driver's hands off of the steering wheel if they were at "10 and 2", causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle. My first thought was, "But if the vehicle encountered any obstacle with enough force to deploy the air bag(s), I'm pretty sure the driver has already lost control."

This thread is the first I've heard of "hands at 7:20", and speaking as someone who has driven a wide variety of cars and trucks over the last 40+ years both casually and professionally, that position just seems awkward and inefficient. I'll stick with "9 and 3", thankyouverymuch.

In any case, this wouldn't be such an issue if people would simply learn how to drive properly.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The last time I had heard any "official" instruction in this regard I was told that the old "hands at 10 and 2" method had been changed to "9 and 3" because of air bags, but the reason given was that a deploying steering wheel air bag would force the driver's hands off of the steering wheel if they were at "10 and 2", causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle. My first thought was, "But if the vehicle encountered any obstacle with enough force to deploy the air bag(s), I'm pretty sure the driver has already lost control."

This thread is the first I've heard of "hands at 7:20", and speaking as someone who has driven a wide variety of cars and trucks over the last 40+ years both casually and professionally, that position just seems awkward and inefficient. I'll stick with "9 and 3", thankyouverymuch.

In any case, this wouldn't be such an issue if people would simply learn how to drive properly.

9 and 3 is tough these days, at least in cars I have driven because the steering wheel 'spokes' (loaded with buttons so they're not really spokes) connect to the rim at those points. Perhaps that's the reason for 10 and 2 or 7:20 or a buck-three-eighty.

20171202_152837.jpg

Last edited:
9 and 3 is tough these days, at least in cars I have driven because the steering wheel 'spokes' (loaded with buttons so they're not really spokes) connect to the rim at those points. Perhaps that's the reason for 10 and 2 or 7:20 or a buck-three-eighty.
Airbags sure killed the sexy steering wheel. Except for the manufacturer badge, they all look the same, and very uninspired. That said, I do like the wheel in my 2008 Bullitt Mustang, for a newer car that is.
79e12a63522fa928cfc3835e072cd5d3.jpg

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My local Homeless Despot didn't carry a hammer that I wanted so I ordered it online & had it shipped to the store. That was Friday the 13th. It won't be there until at least tomorrow. Meanwhile, it's origination point was next door in Ohio & I could of driven there round trip in 7 hours. Next time I'm getting it shipped to my house.

Where I live it’s not unusual to see golf carts on the local roads running to and from the areas stores. It’s also not unusual to see the drivers of the carts use hand signals. Of course the drivers are all “more mature” adults and who knows if the other drivers understand what they’re doing....

And you don't want to be doing that in certain neighborhoods. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az