Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is something I'm noticing that seems to becoming a trend: motorists stopping three or four car lengths behind the car in front of them at a stop light. I mean, WTF?

Back when I was learning to drive, and there was real driver's education, I was told to keep about three feet between you and the car in front; you should at least be able to see the rear bumper of the car ahead. But thirty feet???

The last time I saw this, I just changed lanes in front of the car parked that way. I mean, if you're going to give me an in, why shouldn't I take it?

When I learned to drive in 99 I was taught that you should be able to see the tires on the ground.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here is something I'm noticing that seems to becoming a trend: motorists stopping three or four car lengths behind the car in front of them at a stop light. I mean, WTF?

I think they do that so that when they are looking at their phones they have more room to realize that their foot has eased off the brake and they can stomp on it again before hitting the car in front of them.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Ah, but us earthlings have a secret weapon. Artificial Intelligence is no match for human stupidity.

If stupidity got us into this situation, it can get us out of it......or is that just plain stupid ? :rolleyes:
A.I. too has an infallible weapon, it will learn from it's mistakes & not repeat them.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
jetsons710_859110.png

When I learned to drive in 99 I was taught that you should be able to see the tires on the ground.
When I took Driver's Ed in '77 they kept it simple and told us to stop far enough back to be able to see under the car in front of us in case there were any obstacles in the road that we might have to avoid. But they also showed us a film in which the "instructor" committed a traffic violation by changing lanes in the middle of an intersection, so... :rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have no particular memory of anything I took in Driver's Ed -- all I remember is that I was fifteen, and the Driver Ed Car was a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo, and the state Driver's Handbook had a violent lemon-yellow paper cover. But the specific things I was told to do in the class have long since disintegrated into the general hash that is my subconscious.

I have been recently told, though, that I hold the steering wheel wrong -- I've always held it at ten of two, but the kids tell me you're supposed to hold it at 7:20 now. That feels unnatural and uncomfortable, especially since my midriff gets in the way. What, you have to be skinny now to drive?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I learned so far back (ca. '62-63) that you had to learn and execute hand signals. Haven't seen anybody do that in decades.

Where I live it’s not unusual to see golf carts on the local roads running to and from the areas stores. It’s also not unusual to see the drivers of the carts use hand signals. Of course the drivers are all “more mature” adults and who knows if the other drivers understand what they’re doing....

I have no particular memory of anything I took in Driver's Ed -- all I remember is that I was fifteen, and the Driver Ed Car was a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo, and the state Driver's Handbook had a violent lemon-yellow paper cover. But the specific things I was told to do in the class have long since disintegrated into the general hash that is my subconscious.

I have been recently told, though, that I hold the steering wheel wrong -- I've always held it at ten of two, but the kids tell me you're supposed to hold it at 7:20 now. That feels unnatural and uncomfortable, especially since my midriff gets in the way. What, you have to be skinny now to drive?

"Two and ten" was the mantra back when I learned in the late '70s - has it really changed?

Our school had a very short Drivers Ed class that was all classroom based - no car / nothing.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

I believe that the 7:20 hand position came into use adter the introduction of air bags in the center of the steering wheel. Should a center air bag deploy when a driver has her hands positioned at 10:10, there is a good chance that the air bag would fracture an ulna. The almost universal adoption of power assisted steering allows reasonable control with the hands at 7:20

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Do they even teach hand signals anymore?

From: https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-techniques/using-turn-or-hand-signals.aspx

<< Before making any turn, whether onto another roadway, a parking lot, another traffic lane, or leaving a parked position, it is important that you signal. Your signal lets other drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians know your intentions. You must give a proper turn signal at least 100 ft (200 ft in some states, e.g.,Indiana) before turning or changing lanes. Consult your state's Drivers handbook for details. If your vehicle's turn signals do not work, use hand signals as shown in the next slides. >>

https://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/hand-signals-guide.php also shows hand signals.

Neither of these sites are official state sites, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneaky777