Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
It is almost impossible to open this envelope without tearing it a bit and that assumes you are willing to spend the ridiculous amount of time demanded to do it "the right way."

+1
Deceptive mail: the phishing spam of the analog era. I have had conversations with my young adult children helping them identify bogus mail such as seemingly valid checks which, if cashed, create some headache for the unwary.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On the back of my checkbook are the deposit slips as well.
I have yet been able to remove one cleanly.

Mostly, I wind up with tearing it up making a mess of it.

I imagine that this is what the bank teller thinks of me.
t5jdxw.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Does any one else fill out of it and general blues since Daylight Savings Time? I was really in a great mood before, with the sun going down around 7:00! Now it's 4:43. :confused:

Initially it does. But I recover fast.
I enjoy playing tennis after work or driving to the hill-country
when it’s still sunny.

But with the time change, I find other things that I enjoy that keep
me from not being so blue. I’m lucky that the weather is not severe.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Does any one else fill out of it and general blues since Daylight Savings Time? I was really in a great mood before, with the sun going down around 7:00! Now it's 4:43. :confused:

I get profound seasonal depression every November. We're fast approaching the point where it's dark at 330pm, and that's just brutal -- most of my workday is spent in small confined spaces with no windows, and many days I see little to no sunlight at all once the Dark Days set in. The fact that it's freakishly warm this year is just making it worse -- it's just rubbing it in.

The arrival of all the Xmas stuff also doesn't help. When Santy Claus starts wagging his fat behind all over the place it's the signal that we're in for five months of cold regardless of the current freakish warmth. Kringle was spotted this year the day before Halloween, and I wanted to attack him with a shovel.

Brrr, we have very unusual "mild" and partly warm autumn-weather around 10°C in Germany and from this morning on, I felt dizzy, like I would stand halfway "beside" me and observe myself from outer. But all was ok and underways I paid attention not to stumble over my feet and fall against other persons. :D I walked like beeing a little drunk.

I adjust reasonably well as my work schedule has me up at crazy hours anyway, so sometimes I'm working at 3am and done in the early afternoon depending on the markets. Thus, my daily routine and sunlight are rarely aligned.

My complaint, though (yes, I have one - shocker), is the stupidity of switching back and forth. I don't care which one, but I do wish we'd just pick a time and stay with it and stop switching twice a year.

Whatever the reason - farmers, energy, the climate, kids, jobs - there are enough arguments on either side to just pick on time standard and leave it at that. I hate the falling back / springing forward / changing clocks / jarring few days of the sunlight being different.

We have enough going on in all our lives, pick on standard time and leave it alone.

Phew, I feel better.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I get profound seasonal depression every November. We're fast approaching the point where it's dark at 330pm, and that's just brutal -- most of my workday is spent in small confined spaces with no windows, and many days I see little to no sunlight at all once the Dark Days set in. The fact that it's freakishly warm this year is just making it worse -- it's just rubbing it in..

Sorry to hear this. Although the sun hitting the Parthenon atop the Acropolis in the morning,:) is one of my favorite things, I just love dark overcast skies and the Autumn/Winter here in Chicago is fantastic.:)
Best surfing in Hawaii is on overcast days too.:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've been lucky this year due to the combination of a drought and freak warmth. November in Maine is usually like living in an Andrew Wyeth painting. Everything is raw, damp, and slate-grey. Baseball season is over, the dark surrounds you like a wet, rotting shroud, everything is dying and everything smells like wet, cold, moldy death. I had to give up on raking leaves because it was driving me to astonishing depths of bleakness each year because you *know* the world won't be livable again until the end of April or early May.

If I could get away with hibernating, I would.

Hey Lizzie, don't forget your daily 1.000 or 2.000 IU Vit. D3! Green Thuringia isn't different from green Maine, except for not having a coast. :D But I know the "scandinavian feeling" of autumn.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
November in Maine is usually like living in an Andrew Wyeth painting. Everything is raw, damp, and slate-grey. Baseball season is over...

Wyeth's Christina's World seems warm.;) Baseball is indeed over, and I am slowly transitioning to basketball: Chicago Bulls and Notre Dame hoops.
The Bulls snuck past the Jazz last nite:D-caught the last ten minutes-and the Irish are just starting. The Bears and Notre Dame football teams are in dismal shape.:(

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Daylight saving time lasts abut one month too long. In October I get up when it is pitch black, drive an hour to work and it is still dark. I enjoy each season in turn, but I handle cold better than heat, so I do prefer Autumn and Winter.

...My complaint, though (yes, I have one - shocker), is the stupidity of switching back and forth. I don't care which one, but I do wish we'd just pick a time and stay with it and stop switching twice a year.

Whatever the reason - farmers, energy, the climate, kids, jobs - there are enough arguments on either side to just pick on time standard and leave it at that. I hate the falling back / springing forward / changing clocks / jarring few days of the sunlight being different.

We have enough going on in all our lives, pick on standard time and leave it alone...
Preach it loud Brother!!! I've been anti-Daylight Saving Time my entire life. Choose one time or the other, then leave it alone.

...I just love dark overcast skies and the Autumn/Winter here in Chicago is fantastic.:)...
I have a large number of relatives and friends in the Chicago area who would strongly disagree. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az