Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have no problem with swearing, I was raised in a gas station, and am descended from a long line of longshoremen, so I'm pretty well schooled in early/mid-twentieth century vulgarity and verbal filth, and can give as well as I get. But insulting people directly by calling them such vulgarisms isn't the purpose of the Lounge. That's the purpose of Reddit.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I’m on the job on the road, ( TV news truck) I’m usually with a reporter.
Swearing is very common.
Whether it’s applied to a stressful situation, or towards each other in jokes or not.
Once she steps out of the van, she’s a lady in front of the cameras.

Folks would be totally shocked if they could hear how some speak or eat when
in private especially from someone who’s very attractive.

One reporter grunts & burps as she eats, placing her meal of drink & sandwich
between her legs as we drive to the next story. I love them all and find it
amusing & feel good that they can be themselves with me on the news truck.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As someone who's been called the C-word to my face on the Lounge by a self-professed "gentleman," the Memory Hole isn't anywhere deep enough.
I am glad I did not read that post! I would have given that so called gentlemen more then a peace of my mind!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As someone who's been called the C-word to my face on the Lounge by a self-professed "gentleman," the Memory Hole isn't anywhere deep enough.
Yes, I have heard too many people call you a communist! On a funny note, every time I read where some one has called you that, I think of the line from The Princes Bride!

I fully support freedom of speech, but also believe some people really need to learn when to shut up. That includes the "printed word" on personal websites, social media, blogs, forum posts, and so on.

I used to be angered by "constitutional freedom" absolutists, and sometimes I let them know it. Now I just ignore 'em. Usually, anyway. It's difficult to respectfully tell a person that his thinking is ill-informed and simpleminded, especially when that person has a large piece of his identity invested in his beliefs on the matter. (Belief is what it is, by the way, an almost religious devotion.) So now I just hope for them that they figure it out on their own. It is not beyond the average adult person's comprehension, after all, that "freedom of speech" doesn't bestow upon a person the "freedom" to say whatever he wishes to whomever he wishes whenever and wherever he wishes.

Last edited:
I used to be angered by "constitutional freedom" absolutists, and sometimes I let them know it. Now I just ignore 'em. Usually, anyway. It's difficult to respectfully tell a person that his thinking is ill-informed and simpleminded, especially when that person has a large piece of his identity invested in his beliefs on the matter. (Belief is what it is, by the way, an almost religious devotion.) So now I just hope for them that they figure it out on their own. It is not beyond the average adult person's comprehension, after all, that "freedom of speech" doesn't bestow upon a person the "freedom" to say whatever he wishes to whomever he wishes whenever he wishes.
I don't disagree, except that the right ("privilege" is probably a more accurate term in this context) to freedom of speech in the U.S. does allow a person to do just that. I admit it's difficult to support that right/privilege when a group like the Ku Klux Klan is verbalizing their hate-filled ethos, but, just as they have the right to do that, I have the right to tell them they're a bunch of ignorant fools who should all die a slow painful death caused by inoperable tumors at the bases of their skulls. :D

^^^^^
The First Amendment does not bestow a right to slander, or to threaten bodily injury, or to direct incitement to imminent danger (you know, "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater"). All those are indeed "speech," but they are not constitutionally protected. For damn good reason.

So no, the First Amendment does not bestow an absolute right to say whatever one wishes to whomever one wishes whenever and wherever one wishes. I can't imagine a functioning society if it did.

Last edited:

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Even if you have the right to do something, it isn't necessarily a good idea to do it. I am not suggesting that everyone be as reticent as I am ( 67 posts in 6 years ), but it's a good idea to think over what you have written before hitting the post or send button.
And as already noted, this is a private site, so house rules apply; if you don't like it you can go to another, or create your own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg