Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Why a "Ford Car". A Flivver. Even the New Ford has the filler in the center of the cowl. I don't pay attention to much that dates after the New Ford, don't 'cha know.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
It really ticks me off whenever I see someone wearing a North Face product with that stupid "The North Face" loco on the back shoulder. I'm not too keen on visible maker's labels on clothing anyway, but that has to be the dumbest placement of a logo I have ever seen. It bugs me to no end.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
80? Your Dad's a spring chicken! Mine is 92, and was driving pretty well until the last couple of weeks. We are checking to see whether this may be something transient.
I doubt it, though.

The North Face AND Jack Wolfskin AND chavvy fur-collar parkas AND curious "red alert-sneakers"!! :confused::confused::confused: :D

LUCKILY, the "paws-jacket"-pestilence is gone, in Germany, because, after seven years, these jackets are too embarrassing, now, woohoo. :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, but in my case this is the access stair to the front door of a bungalow which has remained unchanged since 1912.

Is it a private home?

In NY state where I live (southern tier... code for middle of nowhere) we only have to follow code that the state has adopted (no local codes or zoning exist). So, for instance, when we redo our porch this fall, we will have to do higher railings and install spindles to meet code. We only have to update to fully follow code in the entire house because the house lacks a certificate of occupancy.

80? Your Dad's a spring chicken! Mine is 92, and was driving pretty well until the last couple of weeks. We are checking to see whether this may be something transient.
I doubt it, though.
My maternal grandfather was a pretty good driver up until his mid nineties. Dad has some health issues which make it better for the rest of the world that he not drive. Happily, he does not miss driving. Galavanting around with a "young lady" has definitely made him more like a spring chicken.
:D

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Not trivial at all, really, but it sure ticks me off.

Old geezers (my age and up) who whine, moan, and complain any time that a referendum is proposed to increase taxes to provide for much needed improvements in local schools. The worst manifestations I've witnessed:

1. Local high school in my college town didn't even provide music, drama, art, and sports programs-- and proposed a referendum that would have raised property taxes a minimal amount. At local town meetings, we had to deal with this:
upload_2016-9-8_8-16-45.png

2. Upper middle class suburb where we used to live had four separate elementary school districts. In one, the population was dominated by monied condo owning gomers.... and the one school was so inadequate that it was bursting at the seams. The parents wanted decent schools- but the geriatrics voted it down.

Of course, when it comes to funding state of the art paramedic services- so that they'll get a second chance at a life of griping about others taking that to which they are "entitled" after decades of junk food and alcohol- no amount of money is ever too much.

Being able to rise a few floors in the skyscraper of life brings with it the responsibility of sending the elevator back down to the lobby so that others can rise as well... or so I was always taught.

When I'm dictator (next to Lizzy, of course;)), "driver-license" would be terminated automatically on age 75.

Sorry!

Seventy-five is still a way's off for me, but it is coming into view.

I'm a much safer driver now than I was all those years back, when my senses were sharper but my judgment was poorer. Barring anything other than the usual wear and tear, I suspect I'll be essentially as safe at 75 as I am now.

This may become a moot point, what with the advent of the self-driving automobile. But I don't expect such cars to be the norm before I reach that age.

I enjoy driving, and I can see how autonomous cars are not without their downsides. But unless they present anything more sinister than what I can foresee at this point, the upsides trump. Much improved safety, much more efficient use of infrastructure, and a real boon to people with disabilities.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
1. Local high school in my college town didn't even provide music, drama, art, and sports programs--

I think that instead of cutting music and arts programs they should eliminate advanced math courses as a requirement (those beyond basic practical math) for children planning to enter fields where it isn't needed.

I HATED all forms of advanced math, knew I would never use it, and forcing me to take it only brought my GPA down. I wasn't that I couldn't learn it, but that I saw no need to learn it and therefore considered it a complete waste of my time. The courses were no fun, in no way interesting to me, and completely un-needed in my chosen career path in the arts.

Not sure I agree with automatic termination, but I do think driver competence testing should be required for each renewal past age 65.

Perhaps some states have a mandatory re-testing but the one we live(d) and worked in doesn't. Re-testing of a legally licensed driver occurs when a member of law enforcement files a written request for such, usually after a traffic stop was made and the ensuing interview and observations dictate that it be done. Other times the requests come from family members, unable to convince the loved one to give up driving. Nothing quite like being cursed out by an 80 something because you're attempting to take away one of their last freedoms. Some give it up on their own as my 83 year old mother has. It's difficult for all involved.

BTW, anyone ever driven in SO FL between October and April? :eek:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Is it a private home?

In NY state where I live (southern tier... code for middle of nowhere) we only have to follow code that the state has adopted (no local codes or zoning exist). So, for instance, when we redo our porch this fall, we will have to do higher railings and install spindles to meet code. We only have to update to fully follow code in the entire house because the house lacks a certificate of occupancy.

No this stair crosses the easement, the tree lawn. The house has no drive way, so one must enter the lot from the street. The town's corporation counsel has got it in to his head that the town would face liability under the ADA for these stairways, and so he has unilaterally condemned all of them. Of course, no reasonable interpretation of the ADA would support this, but when did that matter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1