Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

There's a Seattle area chain called Taco Time, whose fare is about as authentically Mexican as your cousin Sven. But it's damn good anyway. Ain't cheap, though. Easily double the price of most fast food.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I like Montreal, but I love Paris. Crepes citron vs. poutine as a street food option has a lot to do with that.
Pommes Frites might be the name of a New York shop that only sells French Fries, but in France, the home of cuisine, they love their pommes frites. They won't admit it, because anything English is taboo, but they cook their pommes frites in hot oil, just like the Brit recipe for chips. And I know you love your fish & chips, you told us so, of the time in Ireland, and most eloquently did you describe your experience.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Pommes Frites might be the name of a New York shop that only sells French Fries, but in France, the home of cuisine, they love their pommes frites. They won't admit it, because anything English is taboo, but they cook their pommes frites in hot oil, just like the Brit recipe for chips. And I know you love your fish & chips, you told us so, of the time in Ireland, and most eloquently did you describe your experience.

But I'd never douse 'em in gravy. Malt vinegar.... possibly.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
There's a Seattle area chain called Taco Time, whose fare is about as authentically Mexican as your cousin Sven. But it's damn good anyway. Ain't cheap, though. Easily double the price of most fast food.

I went into a bar/ restaurant on our lake in northern Wisconsin ("drove" to dinner by boat) that offered enchiladas on the menu. I asked the waitress if they were suizas, and if they were served rojas or verde.

Dear wife chastises/ hollers at me: "You're in northern WISCONSIN!! She doesn't know WHAT THE HELL you're TALKIN' ABOUT !!"

Thus passes efforts at building bridges of cultural understanding...

I went into a bar/ restaurant on our lake in northern Wisconsin ("drove" to dinner by boat) that offered enchiladas on the menu. I asked the waitress if they were suizas, and if they were served rojas or verde.

Dear wife chastises/ hollers at me: "You're in northern WISCONSIN!! She doesn't know WHAT THE HELL you're TALKIN' ABOUT !!"

Love the kind of boating you get on those lakes in the Upper Midwest. Many fond memories.

An elderly uncle, among the last of his generation, still keeps a weekend house, and a pontoon boat, on Lake Wisconsin. Gots the boathouse, gots the rail and winch gizmo to more or less effortlessly haul the thing out.

One of the best, most authentic Mexican restaurants I ever visited was in Mt. Airy, North Carolina. Yep..."Mayberry". You never know...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Those "squeeze" bottles, the ones that are supposed to stand upside down, with the tight punctured "cross" dispenser.

I have never used one without spraying the ketchup/mustard/etc. over the plate and on to the table.

So I now unscrew the cap when I'm forced to use the damned things...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Interesting. It seems that any time I've heard of someone getting sick from fast food, it has ALWAYS been at Taco Bell.

Only time in my life I've ever gotten food poisoning was last summer, after eating fish and chips bought from a stand at the county fair. I still don't know if it was the food, or if it was because I was patting goats and sheep before eating it and didn't wash my hands in between. I did notice that this year they had complimentary hand-sanitizer stations outside the animal barns, so possibly I wasn't the only one who got sick...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Those "squeeze" bottles, the ones that are supposed to stand upside down, with the tight punctured "cross" dispenser.

I have never used one without spraying the ketchup/mustard/etc. over the plate and on to the table.

So I now unscrew the cap when I'm forced to use the damned things...

Squeezy containers are one of the Boys' more nefarious inventions. You buy an exact measure of a product but the container is structured in such a way that you can't get every bit of what you purchased out of the container without hacking it apart with scissors. That's exactly what I do when I'm forced to buy one -- and all the product goes straight into a glass jar, so I am sure I get every drop I paid for.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"O’ Montezuma....why hath thou much hateth in thee?”
Sylvester the Cat.

One very early morning at a resort hotel in Puerto Vallarta
in search for the red clay tennis courts.
I noticed the groundkeeper filling the bottles of purified water
for hotel guests from a water hose.

I asked him in my best spanglish....
” No goodo para el stomacho?”

I figured that the more O’s I put at the end of the words
would make it possible to make myself understood.

He gave me a big :D and replied,

“Oh...I speek very good English senor.
And the water, she is very cleen,
I been drinking it all my life
and never gotten seek.”

I shook my head and slowly walked away. :(

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
One of the best, most authentic Mexican restaurants I ever visited was in Mt. Airy, North Carolina. Yep..."Mayberry". You never know...

The best hot dogs I ever had I bought at a hot dog stand on the second level of the
Eiffel Tower in 1966. It had one of those rotisserie wiener roasters like you used to see in american movie theaters and the wieners were the sort with tied-off ends like you only saw in cartoons when I was a kid. When you bit into them the far end popped open. They had fresh-baked French buns to put them in and about 40 different types of mustard. I ate hot dogs until I was about sick, while admiring the Paris skyline. One of my fondest memories.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Squeezy containers are one of the Boys' more nefarious inventions. You buy an exact measure of a product but the container is structured in such a way that you can't get every bit of what you purchased out of the container without hacking it apart with scissors. That's exactly what I do when I'm forced to buy one -- and all the product goes straight into a glass jar, so I am sure I get every drop I paid for.

Creating consumer demand and thus inflating the value of accumulated inventory.

upload_2016-9-5_13-19-24.png

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They are also horrid for 3 year olds, who (fascinated by both the "sound" and the act of squeezing) take far too much of said product. And make lame jokes about flatulence whenever they see said container.

So really trivial. A good one:

The shelf down in front of your cash-dispenser, where you can lay down your portemonnaie in the meantime.
Men, I'm just 1,80 meter, but everytime, I have to bend over forward, half and so unconvenient, because the shelf is so low. :confused:

Hey, is little town's bank-institute for little-town's 1,40m liliput-people, or what? ;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
So really trivial. A good one:

The shelf down in front of your cash-dispenser, where you can lay down your portemonnaie in the meantime.
Men, I'm just 1,80 meter, but everytime, I have to bend over forward, half and so unconvenient, because the shelf is so low. :confused:

Hey, is little town's bank-institute for little-town's 1,40m liliput-people, or what? ;)

I'm also terrified of forgetting my wallet (portmonnaie I understood, we're bilingual French/English in Canada, love it!) on the shelf, yet I continue to use it! I too am 5' 11" (180 cm), and that's part of the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton