Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Ghos7a55assin said:
30jan505.jpg

Reminds me of the SBPL suits that Samuel Hoare wore all the time.

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
There are a few (and only a few) ready-made options. Want yourself a perfectly decent single-breasted, peak lapel suit in 100% wool? Here you go:

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...Code=ZBSSA9841

Thanks marc. I have a SBPL - one of those two button Sean John Suits, and it works fine for me. This isn't really part of this thread, but since Matt mentioned fancy backs I thought I'd put out some feelers for a decent summer fancy back of some sort. You don't happen to know of anything do you? :cool:

Or, do you have good things to say about the Stacy Adams Linen (linen-like) suit?

PS You are a font in the best possible way. :cheers1:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I may be new here, but not with the hats and suits themselves. I am trying hard to find stores, or something that sells single and double breasted peak lapel suits. I live in the Los Angeles area, and perhaps someone else who lives in this area knows of a direction to go, I would be most grateful to hear about it. I know around Hollywood there are a few vintage clothing stores, but I haven't been in many of them, but I wouldn't mind some insight on where to go. Any suggestions?

DB Peak in Modern

I don't know of any vintage shops.

But I did get a modern DB peak Lapel suit at Roger Stuart Clothes which is located at 729 South Los Angeles St. in LA.

Also, along the same block there were a large number of interesting men's stores with Spectator shoes and such.

Might be worth exploring for an "in the mean time" suit.

Also I got my DB suit for about $140 plus tax. (52R all wool) It's the green one in my picture.

They have a fast tailor about a block away for alterations.

It is an interesting clothing store area if you have never been there it's worth wandering around for a while.

Happy Hunting!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
happyfilmluvguy said:
I am trying hard to find stores, or something that sells single and double breasted peak lapel suits. I live in the Los Angeles area ...

As John in Covina said, downtown L.A. is your best bet. At least six suit and shoe stores on Los Angeles Street (right next to the Fashion/Garment District) cater to dressy African-American and Latino men. These shops all carry single-breasted, peak-lapel suits, as well as 6-button double-breasted versions. Sure, some look a bit like zoot suits, but there are also more conservative, excellent-quality ("made in Italy") models in stock. Expect to pay at least $350 for one.

AH yes!

herringbonekid said:
i've just been walking around brighton in the rain and it seemed like almost every menswear shop had a single breasted peaked lapel jacket or suit in the window.
Simply must drop over one these days! Although it so time consuming with out the Concorde.

Must run! TTFN.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You know, I'm a certified fanatical lunatic when it comes to '30s suits ... but even I was dismayed at the sheer obsessiveness of that London Lounge thread. It reminded me that fashion sits pretty low on the list of life's important things. Giving so much attention to something so trivial is somehow depressing.

That said, there are some fine nuggets of information buried deep in that Esquire mound. You're right on target, Geo, in focusing us on proportion. It's the most common stumbling block for tailors trying to recreate '30s-style suits.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
On my way to victory!

I have good news to bring to the alumnis of this abode. I have, (technically weeks ago), recently stumbled upon two suits, which I obtained from the Melrose blocks of Hollywood. I am disappointed the dating of these are unknown, but judging from their company's, I can make a pretty good guess. One suit is a grey wool Evan Picone suit, (since there's no date tag), that it's probably dating back to the 80's, but it's a very nice suit nonetheless, and I've been told these were once worth $500+ and I'm not exactly rich, but I bought them both for $50 a piece. That's a better deal then when they were new!

The other is marked T. Matsumoto, and it's brown wool, but it gives off a illuminated look when it folds. Niether of them fit me perfectly, but I had already a grey hat, and I have a brown one that is almost the identical color to the brown suit. It works for me! I'll post a photo of them later, though. They're probably nothing special, but my wait size is a 30' and my coat size is a 38 regular. I hardly find anything "modern" in my size. haha

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
double

They're both double breasted, though. Which rather flies off of the subject here, but I just thought I would say something.

I'm hoping to find a single breasted though with peak lapels. That one blue one I saw posted, is making my empty pockets fall off entirely.:p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82