Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thanks, both of you! I sold that suit (jacket and trousers) on eBay back in August. The size was 39R. Close-fitting jacket, but comfortable. Roomy trousers.

You can see more photos of it right now in "Show Us Your Suits, the Second Thread."

I had a collection, but I'm selling nearly all of it off to pay for school. So far, eBay has been good to my wife and me.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Two comments:

1. Traditionally, US suit sleeves are cut to allow 1/2" of cuff show whilst British sleeves allow 1" of cuff.

Myself, I always go British and even then sometimes more like 1.25" - 1.5" which allows me to show off my cufflinks w/o having to pull back the sleeve.

2. If anyone is in NYC and interested in single-breasted peak suits. I co-run a British men's clothing store (suits, shirts, ties, links, etc.) and we designed a single breasted peak last year that we have in a couple different models (1 and 2 buttons). Our suits are a traditional Savile Row fitted look, but with a slighty modern twist. The store is called "duncan quinn".

Harry Lime

Suspended

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I like that there is a little more curve in the lapel- very 20's indeed. Looks just like those old stock jackets that Baron Kurtz stole- i mean bought.
I agree the button stance looks a little high for my tastes.
I wish that model would tuck his shirt in so we could see how high the pants go, though.

ray

P.S. Wow! They actually carry a size 36?? I can almost never find new stuff below a 38S!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
If you went to Benetton this winter, they had alot of single-breasted peak lapels in heavy wools. I tried on a dark blue with muted red stripes and it had a nice pinched waist and high-gorge peaked lapels. Too bad the pants had such a low waist. I can't it in their on-line catalogue.
It was a post-Xmas sale, so I picked up this coat a 30% off. It's mostly wool with a little nylon. It's short- hits just above the knee.

Big Joe

Familiar Face
To pleat or not to pleat

What are your feelings about when pleats are appropriate and when not? There's a picture of Cary Grant earlier in this thread, was he wearing pleated pants? Suspenders?

cary.jpg

Big Joe

Ghos7a55assin said:
P.S. Wow! They actually carry a size 36?? I can almost never find new stuff below a 38S!

Wierd isn't it. This is the first company of the type that i've seen recently go below 38.

Ghos7a55assin said:
Looks just like those old stock jackets that Baron Kurtz stole- i mean bought.

Ho Ho. And i just stole a 3 piece that's pretty much the same. $3 anyone? It's destroyed, though - moths and stains. Vest is probably save-able. In the freezer right now. I think i mentioned it somewhere else.

I bought the napoleon suit also. I don't believe her measurements. We'll see.

On the pleats thing. I don't have any preference. Pleats or no pleats, it's all good.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
BellyTank said:
Gotta have a pleat if you want a good crease-

B
T

Agreed! I love pleats as you all know by know. But, there is a soft spot for a good fitting pair of flat fronts. I love both styles for different reasons. I'm sure I've gone over them before so, I'll spare you all the speech. :p

=WR=

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Experience at Store

Tonight I went to the men's store in the neighboring city to pick up my Bill's Khakis. For a small town, they are up to date. Bill's, Tommy Bahama, Sean John suits, HS&M suits, etc. I wanted to try on one of the single breasted peak lapel suits they had in the window. So they brought me the jacket. It was a royal navy color, with alternating wide and thin light pinstripes. Very nice. The lining was double. Skeleton lining in goldish satin plus the remaining lining in striped fabric. It fit well, with the exception of the ratsin-fratsin armholes, which were attached low and all wrong. But hey, off the rack. The fabric was very thin; I counted it a minus, but it was a big selling point for year-round wear. Looked in the mirror - say! I can wear this! Checked the price: Very doable! Let's see the trousers.
They brought them, I held them up from the rear - loops slightly dropped! A semi high waist (again, modern off the rack, so it's relative). I was about to say "chalk it," when I turned the pants around to see the front. No pleats!!! Flat front! I tried them on to make the guy happy, but they looked like pants on backward, and did nothing at all for me. So. Bah! BAH!
"We're hearing that pleats are out, and this is a very current model." said the owner.
RATS!
I pssed along the addresses for TFL, the Sartorialist, dandyism, londonlounge and englishcut. We shall see.

Bart

Familiar Face
Abboud clothes

Joe Abboud makes a VERY nice product!! The peak lapels are OK with me in the 2 button model, wish I was still in the more "slender" measurements as in the eBay auction. Those are days gone-by. Enjoy, kid!:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82