Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons bilt

Loncster

New in Town
Hi, I was recently looking to buy my first simmons bilt jacket. Daytona, I was really stuck between the leathers, I don't know which one should i pick. I was looking at japanese veg horsehides and the mustang horsehide, I have no clue which is better looking. So do you have any recommendations on what to aim for?

Thanks!

cbez

One Too Many
It is subjective my friend. I personally am finding pigment finishes boring lately and leaning into veg tan aniline. But there are great jackets in both.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I had a Japanese horsehide SB Tailgunner jacket. The leather is somewhere between full aniline and semi aniline, there is gonna be some variation between the panels.
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Not sure about Mustang horsehide, you'd have to get samples from them to see.

But the major thing is the pattern difference. SB Daytona is STRAIGHT torso and rounded shoulder. Aero J106/Daytona is Tapered torso and square shoulder. SB will take custom jobs so you can taper the SB Daytona, but I've not seen one done properly here. I went down a size to better fit the hem but it does get quite tight at the chest. I think SB Daytona could use a full action back like the G-1 jackets, then its default straight torso shape will work when sized down to fit the hem, its small shoulder gussets are not enough, needs full action back. But then is it just the Aero one but round shoulders... I think the leather will decide. Get samples.

SB Daytona custom pockets (Horween Lux) PS the lacing holes are done by me aftermarket, huge mistake on my part, not SB's. Live and learn...
IMG_6905.jpg

Aero Daytona (Horween CXL)
IMG_6936.jpg

Loncster

New in Town
I had a Japanese horsehide SB Tailgunner jacket. The leather is somewhere between full aniline and semi aniline, there is gonna be some variation between the panels.
View attachment 629127 View attachment 629128

Not sure about Mustang horsehide, you'd have to get samples from them to see.

But the major thing is the pattern difference. SB Daytona is STRAIGHT torso and rounded shoulder. Aero J106/Daytona is Tapered torso and square shoulder. SB will take custom jobs so you can taper the SB Daytona, but I've not seen one done properly here. I went down a size to better fit the hem but it does get quite tight at the chest. I think SB Daytona could use a full action back like the G-1 jackets, then its default straight torso shape will work when sized down to fit the hem, its small shoulder gussets are not enough, needs full action back. But then is it just the Aero one but round shoulders... I think the leather will decide. Get samples.

SB Daytona custom pockets (Horween Lux) PS the lacing holes are done by me aftermarket, huge mistake on my part, not SB's. Live and learn...
View attachment 629131

Aero Daytona (Horween CXL)
View attachment 629132
Wow. These jackets are amazing, I couldn't find the horween lux when choosing leather so that's why i was between japanese horsehide or mustang, Which one do you like the most? Japanese horsehide or the horween lux?

Also thanks for the tips really appreciate it

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Horween Lux was offered quite a few years back, they probably don’t offer it anymore.

Get leather samples of the ones you’re interested in and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads