Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show your shearling

mumpy

A-List Customer
Aero Irvin BoB, looking forward to winter!

3ea5e103-044b-4938-b984-9b8593702717.jpeg

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
The next Frankenstein creation. Visually very cool, unfortunately the shearling is not dense enough and the wool is too long. Because it was not very visible, it lay more than it stood. Visually very warm, but actually no warmer than shorter and denser wool.
Would all have been ok if it had fitted me better. The angle between the neck and shoulders was too steep for me, so that the neck hole did not fit. Too bad actually.
It now fits a friend better.

1726569246747.jpeg

1726569261505.jpeg
1726569277048.jpeg
1726569412917.jpeg

John Lever

One Too Many
The next Frankenstein creation. Visually very cool, unfortunately the shearling is not dense enough and the wool is too long. Because it was not very visible, it lay more than it stood. Visually very warm, but actually no warmer than shorter and denser wool.
Would all have been ok if it had fitted me better. The angle between the neck and shoulders was too steep for me, so that the neck hole did not fit. Too bad actually.
It now fits a friend better.

View attachment 640376
View attachment 640377 View attachment 640378 View attachment 640379
I like that sheepskin, do 5 * do a B3 made from it ?

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I like that sheepskin, do 5 * do a B3 made from it ?
I don't know if they still have this shearling. But I read in the VLJ that B3 were possible. It's best to ask. The military jackets at 5* are less of a risk than the civilian ones. But I have to say that the shearling doesn't come close to that of Aero. The leather (at least on my 5*) was much thinner than that of the Aero.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I also find that density of the fur matters much more than the length of the fur. imo, super dense but short 6mm is still better than balding 22mm fur. Less quality stuff is gonna use the curls to hide the bald spots. If you spread the fur out and not see skin, then it's dense. If you spread the fur out and see skin then no no.

The one in the middle (grey) is long fur but not as dense as the top and bottom, all three the curly fur style but quality is not equal, neither is the prices,
IMG_1972.JPG

Aero does have very high quality fur (very high density) but their jacket cuts are short and boxy in stock form. Aero fur vs colomer (Toys Mccoy), Colomer is a bit more yellow or could just be batches, Aero could be using Colomer but they never say where they get their stuff from. If any one know where they get their fur please do tell.
IMG_8535.JPG

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Here is a shearling waistcoat, which was also made according to my ideas of 5*. This is the only 5* I still own. Unfortunately, the leather pockets are a disaster. I could just as easily have used plywood panels instead. I'm thinking about replacing it with canvas. Maybe I'll wear the waistcoat more often then.
IMG_4721.jpeg IMG_4725.jpeg IMG_4722.jpeg IMG_4256.jpeg 971F490A-76F0-4502-83CC-5AC5CE63EDAA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton