Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Lauren said:
JT Carrey, I forgot to respond! Here's a link to a site that has pattern dating info:
http://www.cemetarian.com/index.php?pr=Dating_Sewing_Patterns

Most pre-40's patterns are not marked and I actually tried contacting pattern companies for more information but they have no records, or it isn't widely known. You have to either collect pattern catalogs or magazines that specialized in the pattern lines to get earlier dates.

Thank you Lauren, eventually I'll post pictures of all my patterns on here, I still need to get my internet up and running, just using it at a friends right now. I'll check out that website!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
4271_f.jpg

Making this in brown crepe as soon as I get it.
3dd8_1.jpg

And this in purple and brown. I was up till one tracing the pattern.

I am envious of all your lovely patterns but I did win the best hat pattern ever.
3e05_1.jpg

The seller mailed me the wrong pattern but that's being fixed.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Thanks, Vanessa! Wow. Adding the pleats yourself? And the illustrator seems to have taken a few liberties. :) (Notably: "Seams? What seams?")

I just noticed, too, that the skirt is cut on the bias. Pleats + bias...eep!

And now I'm wondering if it would, in fact, be possible to cut that skirt without seams around the waistline. I don't think so. But there are makeshift possibilities. *ponders*

Sunny

One Too Many
I have a pattern just like this! I've already made a skirt from it, too.

c288_1.jpg

Mine is seamed down the front gore since it's a shirtdress, but both pieces and the single back gore are cut on the bias.

The "pleats" are actually marked on the pattern. The directions had me mark them, then press and topstitch along the fold, then iron in the pleats.

Cutting it on the bias means that the pleats do have a lot of swing and bounce to them; they don't just hang in folds like pleats on the straight would. However, my material, a medium-weight linen/cotton blend, simply would not hold the pleat. I've given up having it pleated, and just let it swing with the topstiched lines. It was a pain to do, but it's an unusual and interesting effect.

Vanessa said:
Re:
P1090868-1.jpg

Here you go ladies. Fresh from today's mail:

max0003.jpg

Detail: This smart frock possesses many important fashion pointers. Neckline has a small collar and a trim band, which may be worn open or closed with buttons. A foursome of patch pockets trim bodice. Skirt joins bodice at waistline and may be softly flared, or pleated & stitched. Sleeves are set-in, long or short.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I don't know if this helps anyone, but there are some specialty sewing shops out there who will machine pleat things for you. There is one in the Bay Area in CA. It's an independent shop that is really popular with the Ren Faire crowd. I can't find the name or the link at the moment though. Sorry.. :(

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Possibly Dark Garden?

Joie DeVive said:
I don't know if this helps anyone, but there are some specialty sewing shops out there who will machine pleat things for you. There is one in the Bay Area in CA. It's an independent shop that is really popular with the Ren Faire crowd. I can't find the name or the link at the moment though. Sorry.. :(

Dark Garden is a custom corset and couture shop in SF, great stuff.
Or maybe Lacis in Berkeley...the best store for antique lace. They both have websites...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Dark Garden is a custom corset and couture shop in SF, great stuff.
Or maybe Lacis in Berkeley...the best store for antique lace. They both have websites...

Thank you Miss 1929! You got it. It was Lacis. I just couldn't think of the name and couldn't find the link. (I coulda sworn I had it bookmarked!) I have a friend who does the Faire and Gaskall's Circuit, and she swears by them.

But the Dark Garden is also great fun for those into corsets, especially if you have the blunt to afford their fabulous creations. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sunny said:
I have a pattern just like this! I've already made a skirt from it, too.

c288_1.jpg

Mine is seamed down the front gore since it's a shirtdress, but both pieces and the single back gore are cut on the bias.

The "pleats" are actually marked on the pattern. The directions had me mark them, then press and topstitch along the fold, then iron in the pleats.

Cutting it on the bias means that the pleats do have a lot of swing and bounce to them; they don't just hang in folds like pleats on the straight would. However, my material, a medium-weight linen/cotton blend, simply would not hold the pleat. I've given up having it pleated, and just let it swing with the topstiched lines. It was a pain to do, but it's an unusual and interesting effect.

Pictures?? :D

Sunny

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Pictures?? :D
I wish I had 'em! I finished it in a rush early in the summer to go to a convention, so didn't bother to take pictures. Things were crazy busy there, so no pictures. And I pretty much haven't bothered since. :eek: It's a white linen/cotton, too, so I doubt I'll be wearing it again for a while.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ec7a_10.jpg

I have been wanting this pattern for years, but the only place Ive found it, she wanted $50 for it!

So squee me when I found it for $14 :D

LD

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
Golden age of Couture

I downloaded this pattern a while back when the V&A was giving it away for free. Its a pattern for a couture inspired dress. Its printable and comes with all instructions.

I would happily email the file to anyone who would like it.

Picture4.png

Just pm me your email address and ill send you it.

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
Vegan_Kitty said:
I downloaded this pattern a while back when the V&A was giving it away for free. Its a pattern for a couture inspired dress. Its printable and comes with all instructions.

I would happily email the file to anyone who would like it.

Picture4.png

Just pm me your email address and ill send you it.

Ha ok cool, I didnt realise it was still available for download :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe