Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
We moved into our new house last week so there are boxes everywhere but I had to share my stove and the lounger the previous owners left behind.
000_2710.jpg

000_2803.jpg

000_2802.jpg

My self, I'm not the biggest fan of "mid century" design but, it's refreshing to know that a 50's home such as that was saved! And I'm sure you'll take advantage of having so much original details at hand to really make that home a time capsule.

My dream is to find a nice 1920s or 30s home that hasn't been messed with! So many idiots today feel they can design an interior better then the original builders... so, all the dark wood is ripped out or painted over and all the built-ins are tossed out and walls are knocked down to "open up" the house... and all new windows and cabinets in the kitchen... BLAH!

Can't wait to see the home all decked out! And you two will need one of these parked in the driveway; a '56 Buick Roadmaster!

1956_buick_roadmaster_convertible.jpg

PS: By all means... KEEP THOSE CURTAINS!!! They look to be 60s but, they work for that room! ;)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Never thought I'd be posting in this thread! Too excited not to, though.

After ten years of marriage, my wife and I are finally buying our first home. Our anniversary is next month, so I told her that's all we're getting each other in the way of presents.lol

We hadn't necessarily been looking at vintage homes, but we fell in love with this one, and the price was extremely right. It was built in 1932 (same year as the formation of the Hat Corporation of America!), so it will be interesting to research and see who had the money to build this place during the Depression.

We fly out for the inspection next Friday, and closing is scheduled for the 15th, if the inspection goes well.

OurHouse.jpg

I love the foyer. I'll need to get a vintage table to set in here to throw my hat on when I come home. They had to replace the tile due to a city/county lead abatement program, so I have no idea what the original looked like.
Foyersmall.jpg

This is the formal dining room (sorry, no flash), but we have no dining room table, so we're turning it into our library. Have to get a couple of comfy chairs to sit by the window. We have no antique or vintage-looking furniture at all.

031.jpg

The master bedroom mirrors the dining room.
051.jpg

I love the upstairs bathroom. It has updated fixtures, but still retains a vintage feel.
The tub/shower is behind the glass block wall.

047.jpg

The kitchen has new counters, sink, and appliances, but the cabinets are the originals, so it still feels vintage. The electrical and plumbing have also been updated, it has a 3-year-old roof, and the foundation is in great shape, so it should be good for a few years. The yard needs landscaping, as all the topsoil was removed a few years back as part of the lead abatement program, but that gives us a clean slate with which to work.

I want to look under the carpeting throughout the house, because I would expect there to be hardwood floors. Refinishing them might be a pain, but it would sure add to the character of the house.

Brad

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well Brad, looks as if you'll have to go antique shopping! Ya gotta get that place lookin' it's period! ;-)

You should have no problem finding some great early 30's stuff to find for your shack! Antique shops can offer some great buys! If you know where to look and how to haggle. lol

How exciting that is... I'm envious!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Brad, Congratulations on your "new" home. It's really lovely. FM's right;you're going to have a great time finding period pieces for it. FM,you hit the old nail on the head about how vintage homes get ruined by too much modernization. Electrical,plumbing and general safety updates:yes. Trying to improve the style: NO!

My wife and I are waiting to hear if our offer for our first home will be accepted by the owner. It was hard to sleep last night. I just kept thinking about how much we love this home and how perfect it is for us and our daughter. It's a 1924 bungalow that's been restored right. Original parts or authentic reproductions and period correct paint. We are supposed to hear from the owner sometime this weekend. If the news is good I've got pictures to post here. If the news isn't good I've got pictures to post,a few appropriate blues 78s to play and a bottle scotch to get into...;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Congrats everyone on their new abodes!!
DH1, Goldwyn, and Brad.... any others I have missed! Best of luck Sefton!!

Goldwyn that lounger is FAB! I look forward to seeing some pinup shots with you lounging! ;)

Brad your home reminds me much of my house. Have you been able to look up any more info on it? I'm surprised at the date of '32. I'm guessing much earlier...perhaps the late teens? Ours was built in 1907. I'm envious of your bay areas. The front entrance is very similar to ours. I'm wondering if your porch is all original or redone years ago? It looks more 20's plus. I'd imagine all of your floors were wood. I just can't see them using bullseye trim in the 30's, unless it was added later. And like you said, the depression. Hmmm....

Here's my entrance, (sorry I'm in it!) and a link to more pics...
We are getting ready to paint the exterior and I'm SO excited! The siding butchers came in the 70's but we can't afford to take it off and redo the clabboard.
620803977_dfe27d2515.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/collections/72157600969231905/

Fifties Freak, I love how your place looks vintagey modern. Well done!
Nikki

kampkatz

Practically Family
Brad
Your house has some charming features such as the stairway balustrade and trim. The brickwork out front gives the place a solid look(also you never have to paint). May you enjoy it for many years!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
... After ten years of marriage, my wife and I are finally buying our first home. Our anniversary is next month, so I told her that's all we're getting each other in the way of presents.lol ...

Congratulations on your new (old) home, and also on your upcoming anniversary. The house looks really great. I've always felt that older homes have so much more class and style than anything new.

Decodence

A-List Customer
goldwyn girl said:
Decodence, there has been hardly any change to the house since it was built. Just as I wanted it.
Here in the Valley of the sun, we had a few MCM renouned designers that a small group of MCM lovers goes after house-wise. Beadle and Havers are what you are after for MCMs here. I don't think I could ever live in one, but I certainly appreciate them, and find them neat. I'm a Period Revival sort myself.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I just want to say that everyone in this thread has such lovely homes! It is so interesting to see all the different eras, and the mix with modern furnishings and decor. Stunning!!!

MaryDeluxe - I am practically obsessed with your home. I can tell that years of collecting and sweat went into it, and it really shows. Beautiful!

Our home was built in 1958 and we're currently redecorating it. Our previous apartment was pretty much 100% Pottery Barn/Pier 1/Crate & Barrel, and I'm leaning away from that now. We're heading towards a 1950s mid-century modern look (part of why I am so inspired by Mary's pictures!) We have finished our guest room and dining room, and have picked up a retro-style couch for our living room. A couple of years ago I was fortunate to pick up an original set of 1955 Drexel furniture including a dining table & chairs, china cabinet, coffee table, & 2 end tables, at a garage sale, and several 1950s lamps with fiberglass shades. I just scored a set of 5 vintage bamboo-framed Asian prints off the curb down the street from us (yes I pick things up off the curb if I see something good), so hopefully I'll have some pictures to share fairly soon.

Atomic Glee said:
Here's some photos from my friend Steve's place here in Fort Worth. He's a Mid Century Modern fan, as you can see.

1432806719_e8def9065d_o.jpg

Ha! We have almost the exact same aircraft print in our office. Of course now I can't remember if ours is a B-17 like your friend's, or a B-24... lol Ours is marked from Consolidated Aircraft, 1944. I wonder if theirs is the same, since they're also Ft Worth folks?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
kampkatz said:
The aircraft is a B-17E or F.

Yep, the one in the photo above is. I was saying I couldn't remember what the similar print we have in our home is (17 or a 24). I'm drawing a total brain blank. Would make more sense if ours was a 24, considering it is marked Consolidated!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Fortworthgal...thank you, it always makes me happy when someone can appreciate and be inspired by my style. I don't think you have to spend big bucks to have cool style and I certainly haven't spent much $$. I think it's more important to have a little creativity, a good eye, and patience. I really enjoy the thrill of the "hunt" so to speak, that's why I go mostly to auctions/estate sales. In fact right now I have my little eye on an upcoming auction that has this... 1958 philco predicta "pedestal tv"

2457832648_0a8557d29d.jpg

I have always wanted an original predicta tv. But maybe I will also start saving for a remake which are pretty cool too!
http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Goodness that is a gorgeous Television!

If I could marry a tv, I would marry a Predicta tv!lol lol

I must start praying to the auction gods so I get it at a good price! Perhaps a sacrafice would be in order for getting on their good side?? :D

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
If I could marry a tv, I would marry a Predicta tv!lol lol

I must start praying to the auction gods so I get it at a good price! Perhaps a sacrafice would be in order for getting on their good side?? :D

You need to seduce the auction gods ...light incense at their feet...anything for that television!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld