Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A 2012 photo of Johnny Boyd's still-thriving tie wall.

tiewall_zps48bfe20a.jpg

There's more photos on his website. Looking them over closely out of all these I still didn't see any that I'm familiar with (or own). I really wonder how many different ones were made? Has to be well in to the six-digits....if not seven. Men's neckties of this period was definitely big business, but long-forgotten except by guys like us.

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Goodwill find today. Semi-erotic 1970s at its finest. Label says 'Carre. The European Look' Sometimes you just have to purchase these simply because they were an important period...no matter how tasteless...in men's fashion...

erotic_zps2006187e.jpg
[/IMG]

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What a surprise to see this photo on the Lounge! I have lurked here forever (especially this thread) to see all the cool offerings by others who share my love of vintage neckware. I dig 'em!

~JB

Welcome to the FL. I'm sure i speak for everyone when I say I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Swing Lover

New in Town
tiewall_zps48bfe20a.jpg

What an amazing way to store ties and decorate a room at the same time. I'm going to look into trying this.

Thanks Foxer :)

When I first started collecting, I bought four curtain rods and mounted them in the very long hallway of my San Francisco flat. It was a great way to use the cramped and uninteresting hall space. As my collection grew, I purchased more and more curtain rods and mounted them further and further down the wall. When those rods started to bow from the continued new acquisition weight, I found extenders that could be inserted into the rod ends to add even more length to the middle sections. I had almost run out of wall space by the time I decided to move to Portland. If I hadn't moved, I would have had to start using the other side of the hall to hang.

I organize my ties by color and like displaying them this way because I can easily choose what I want to wear with minimal digging. Plus, to me, they really are miniature paintings and look great as hanging art.

My website has more detailed photos: http://johnnyboyd.com/johnnyathomephotos

Last edited:

When I first started collecting, I bought four curtain rods and mounted them in the very long hallway of my San Francisco flat. It was a great way to use the cramped and uninteresting hall space. As my collection grew, I purchased more and more curtain rods and mounted them further and further down the wall. When those rods started to bow from the continued new acquisition weight, I found extenders that could be inserted into the rod ends to add even more length to the middle sections. I had almost run out of wall space by the time I decided to move to Portland. If I hadn't moved, I would have had to start using the other side of the hall to hang.

I organize my ties by color and like displaying them this way because I can easily choose what I want to wear with minimal digging. Plus, to me, they really are miniature paintings and look great as hanging art.

My website has more detailed photos: http://johnnyboyd.com/johnnyathomephotos

You are THE tie man. :D I probably have well over a thousand but with two small boys, I am not putting out even one for them to screw up. :p They have their own collections too. :p Needless to say, they get dry cleaned fairly often. :p

Swing Lover

New in Town
You are THE tie man. :D I probably have well over a thousand but with two small boys, I am not putting out even one for them to screw up. :p They have their own collections too. :p Needless to say, they get dry cleaned fairly often. :p

Ha! Yes, I do understand this anxiety. I would wince every time a service man would walk down my hall with a greasy toolbox or wet paint bucket!

Believe it or not, there is a collector in NYC that has accumulated more vintage ties than me, although he buys a larger variety of styles and eras. I've focused on collecting post WW2, late 1940's to early 1950's era pieces because they are the most colorful and interesting to me. I love advertising ties from this period. And the WIDER the better.

I've seen your "Tie of the Day" posts, James, and have liked them all. We have similar tastes in vintage ties :)

Ha! Yes, I do understand this anxiety. I would wince every time a service man would walk down my hall with a greasy toolbox or wet paint bucket!

Believe it or not, there is a collector in NYC that has accumulated more vintage ties than me, although he buys a larger variety of styles and eras. I've focused on collecting post WW2, late 1940's to early 1950's era pieces because they are the most colorful and interesting to me. I love advertising ties from this period. And the WIDER the better.

I've seen your "Tie of the Day" posts, James, and have liked them all. We have similar tastes in vintage ties :)

Wet paint or grease would definitely create high anxiety here too. I keep most of mine in my armoire on hangers. :p

My collection goes from the turn of the century to the end of the same era you end at. Advertising ties and wide ties are also some of my favorites as well. Colorful is also one of my requirements.

We do indeed have the same tastes. Lately I usually don't buy single ties unless they are extremely unusual. The last single tie I bought was fairly unusual but I like to buy LARGE lots and sort through them. The more the better. I can dump the ones I don't like or are just too mundane for me. I am still trying to find the rest of the Duel in the sun ties from 1947 by Signet but I am still stuck at just one. :eusa_doh:[huh]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I bought the ties below on eBay.

Advertised as 1950s/60s:

$(KGrHqN,!jUFDqhRR46VBR!)gV,oYQ~~60_57.JPG

1950s tie:

38661A.jpg

Undated wool red knit tie:

121812_581.jpg

By the way, does anyone know where to buy a tie "rod" (preferably online), so that I could efficiently iron out wrinkles? I think Widebrim mentioned that thing a few pages back. It's supposed to fit into the underside of a tie, if I remember.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab

Several residences ago I did the same with my collection in a small spare bedroom using curtain rods. At the moment, though, they are neatly stored away in storage tubs. I've just never gotten around to hang them up again. The bulk of my collection is the same era as yours, but I'll go as far as the mid-60s. I like to say that a necktie has to be older than me before I wear it. The recently-posted 1970s tie was a rarity (actually only my second), but it was for novelty reasons. Do you have a Top 10 from your collection?

Last edited:

Swing Lover

New in Town
Several residences ago I did the same with my collection in a small spare bedroom using curtain rods. At the moment, though, they are neatly stored away in storage tubs. I've just never gotten around to hang them up again. The bulk of my collection is the same era as yours, but I'll go as far as the mid-60s. I like to say that a necktie has to be older than me before I wear it. The recently-posted 1970s tie was a rarity (actually only my second), but it was for novelty reasons. Do you have a Top 10 from your collection?

Yes, I, too, had to pack up my collection when I moved. Now THAT was a pain. Because I've pressed every tie, I didn't feel comfortable just throwing them into moving boxes, so I purchased 10,000 of those little tie hooks, 100 coat hangers and 15 wardrobe boxes to hang all of them before transport.

I don't have a long, empty wall in my house in Portland, so I now have my collection hanging on five or six "z-rack" garment racks. The ties can be rolled around and organized the same way, and although it's not as cool as having them hanging on rods like before, it's even easier to get to the one I would like to wear.

I'm a big fan of the Cutter Cravat designs that you've posted in the past, Quigley, but my all-time favorite tie of yours is this one:

cow100.jpg

It's absolutely wonderful! I plan to soon begin posting favorites from my collection on the journal page of my website and will copy the entries to the FL, as well :)

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm a big fan of the Cutter Cravat designs that you've posted in the past, Quigley, but my all-time favorite tie of yours is this one:

It's absolutely wonderful! I plan to soon begin posting favorites from my collection on the journal page of my website and will copy the entries to the FL, as well :)

Thanks for your compliment. I found that one is someone's attic. I'll be looking forward to seeing yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82