Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
An off the cuff guess.. 40s on top and 30s on the bottom?
Thank you. Just what I guessed. My favourite era concerning the style. I am not a collector so the appearance is the most important thing for me.

Oh I am always looking at flea markets and thrift stores but they have only few ties ...all post-70s shakeshead

I love this thread and all the beutiful ties. I wonder if there were more colorful 40s ties in the US.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Flat Foot Floey said:
Thank you. Just what I guessed. My favourite era concerning the style. I am not a collector so the appearance is the most important thing for me.

Oh I am always looking at flea markets and thrift stores but they have only few ties ...all post-70s shakeshead

I love this thread and all the beutiful ties. I wonder if there were more colorful 40s ties in the US.

There was a ton of colorful ties here in the late-'40s/early-'50s. I suggest you look on Amazon.com under the search word "neckties;" you will find some books which have beautiful photos of ties from that period.

-Lee

Flat Foot Floey said:

Be glad that they don't all have just 1970s ties. :p
I doubt that we cornered the market on colorful ties but it is likely that during the post-war period and during for that matter, materials were scarce for a bit so they made do with what they had. There was a rather short period where we had such bold and colorful ties. By the mid 1950s, ties started getting thinner and were, in general, less bold.

Bear with me here. I probably will do a very poor job but:
Seien Sie dass sie don' froh; alles t haben gerade Jahrriegel. : p Ich bezweifele, dass wir den Markt auf bunten Riegeln in Verlegenheit brachten, aber es wahrscheinlich ist, dass während der Nachkriegszeit und während in der Tat, Materialien für eine Spitze knapp waren, also sie sich zufriedengaben, mit was sie hatten. Es gab einen ziemlich kurzen Zeitraum, in dem wir solche fetten und bunten Riegel hatten. Bis zum den mittleren fünfziger Jahren bindet das begonnene Erhalten dünner und war im Allgemeinen weniger fett.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha. Thats funny but I would understand it. I also do some major spelling mistakes in english ("demoncrats" :eusa_doh: )
"Tie" means "Krawatte" in german, bowtie is a "Fliege"

Yeah the postwar society in germany certainly had other worries than bold ties. A country in ruins...literally and sociological. But in Weimar Germany there had to be some good designs maybe. Thinking of Bauhaus as well as Art Deco and stuff. I don't think it would like an avangardistic tie in primary colors though.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Another of my favorites (and another thrift store score--sorry to rub it in, Flat Foot Floey:D). Small label on rear blade says, "Albert Leonard George INC. OWN DESIGN." 4 1/4" wide. Colors are as you see them.
CCF03132010_00000.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
Sorry to derail the thread but the summers here can get really hot. Would I be wrong to wear a tie or bowtie with a short sleeve shirt? I don't wear shirt and tie at work, this would be for everyday use to go around town.
I've been looking through this thread and started wearing bowties. I like the looks of them, I like that nobody else in town wears them and nobody knows how to tie them. That makes me different. I have a bunch coming in from ebay, a few clip-ons but most you tie yourself.
Ernest

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Bow tie + short sleeved shirt = gas station attendant. I agree with Feraud. No need to strangle yourself just to be "vintage".
And keep in mind, there's always the good old Hawaiian shirt.

There is a thread that berates and extoles the short sleeved dress shirt. Some people have a lot of disdain for it and refer to the look in the film "Falling Down" as a horror. Others recall it as the look of the 1960's and on engineer / geek the type that took America to the Moon which can't be all bad. Like many things it's how you carry yourself that will make or break the look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82