Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
A local newspaper is doing a story about my vintage necktie collection. The interview and photo shoot was today and was told it will run in their Saturday paper. It's just a small Iowa paper, though, and does not have a website. It's not your typical small town paper, though, the staff is usually journalism grads right out of school so they are always itching to write good stories for their portfolios...same for the shooters, too. Should I like it I'll try and scan it and post it....if you want. [huh]

YES PLEASE DO!
Sounds wonderful!

Feraud

Bartender
I too would like to read the article on your tie collecton Quigley.

This group was a wrinkled mess but they pressed out nicely.
DSC08043.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I pressed gently.
The painted on the left only notes "hand painted". The second one is tagless. The third is tagged Styled by Creveling of California and the fourth is also tagless. The three on the right look 30s based on length and construction.
I originally bought the lot for the Creveling tie. I thought it was a palm beach. Turns out to feel like silk. Not a bad group for five bucks.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Widebrim said:
^^I hope that you didn't flatten out the rolls when you ironed them.

I've run into a more than a few deadstock '30s ties still wrapped in their original gift boxes. Nearly all of these ties had little to no roll: they were pretty flat. IMO, ties weren't made with rolls until the 1940s, when rayon fabrics and linings became thicker.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Here is my small vintage tie collection. Oldest to newest. The first two came for free with a purchase of a 30's Belted suit, which will be posted shortly. I figure they are from the 30's, the first one even the 20's maybe( its 48 inches long if thats any help).. I know the 3rd is from the 40's. The 4th red one is from the 50's and the blue from around the same time.
IMG_0485.jpg
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Nice ties there, and a solid base for a growing collection.:eusa_clap The Bird Plumage one appears to be late-'40s/early-'50s, judging from construction, length, and label. Chaney was a top producer at the time, and their ties are (to me, at least) very collectable. I really like that one, and have another which is somewhat similar, but with smaller plumage graphics.

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
J.J. Gittes said:
Here is my small vintage tie collection. Oldest to newest. The first two came for free with a purchase of a 30's Belted suit, which will be posted shortly. I figure they are from the 30's, the first one even the 20's maybe( its 48 inches long if thats any help).. I know the 3rd is from the 40's. The 4th red one is from the 50's and the blue from around the same time.
IMG_0485.jpg
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg

Hey, I recognize one of those. ;)

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
^^Nice ties there, and a solid base for a growing collection.:eusa_clap The Bird Plumage one appears to be late-'40s/early-'50s, judging from construction, length, and label. Chaney was a top producer at the time, and their ties are (to me, at least) very collectable. I really like that one, and have another which is somewhat similar, but with smaller plumage graphics.

The Chaney "Plumage" is my favorite of the bunch. It's a great tie. Thanks for giving me a date to it, I had no idea where to place it so I guessed the 30's(works with a great 30's suit I have though!). I haven't honed my tie skills yet!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
J.J. Gittes said:
The Cheney "Plumage" is my favorite of the bunch.

That tie comes from one of the most successful necktie design lines of all time: Cheney Cravat's "Tropical Bird Plumage" line, which followed its equally successful "Game Birds" line in the late 1930s-early '40s.

I had an emerald green version of your "Plumage" tie. It was spectacular, just like yours. Congratulations, and hold on to it! :eusa_clap

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The newspaper feature story on my neckties came out today. There were a few minor mistakes, but over all I think it's okay. The paper's color reproduction isn't the greatest either. The paper has no website to link to so I had to take photos of it. They included my phone number, too, so I hope I'll be getting some calls from people who have boxes of them up in their attics! Hope you are able to read it.....:)

pg1100.jpg
[/IMG]

pg2100.jpg
[/IMG]

pg3100.jpg
[/IMG]

pg4100.jpg
[/IMG]

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice. IMHO the spectacles and bowtie in your avatar make you look more like Atticus Finch, whereas the article photo makes you look more like a (younger) Sting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82