Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
repeatclicks said:
Ive got about a dozen, but this one is and probably will always be my favorite.

1930s short tie. Ive had at least 3 people who have wanted to buy this one off me!

IMG_7265.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
I can understand why. That is quite solid! Is there a manufacturer's label, and how long is it?

No makers label except the 'Resilient Construction' tag, and its 46" long. Its the perfect length for me!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
I love the irridescent one on the right.

That irridescent one of Dillinger's is made with moire (watered) silk. Back then, Sulka was famous for its moire ties: the fabric came from a special mill in Italy, and was expensive. Chances are that this was Dillinger's priciest cravat, and it could well have been a Sulka.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
I am not sure who made mine. [huh]

It might or might not have been a Sulka. I have a 1920s moire tie: It has an Alexander & Oviatt store label and a little tag that says "Made in France," that's all.

Starting in the '20s, Arrow and other U.S. tie manufacturers began to offer "faux moire" neckties. They're usually made of high grade rayon that's been woven and/or embossed to look like watered silk.

Marc Chevalier said:
It might or might not have been a Sulka. I have a 1920s moire tie: It has an Alexander & Oviatt store label and a little tag that says "Made in France," that's all.

Starting in the '20s, Arrow and other U.S. tie manufacturers began to offer "faux moire" neckties. They're usually made of high grade rayon that's been woven and/or embossed to look like watered silk.

Watered down silk?;) :p
I'll have to check and see who made it when I get home. It may take a while as there are somewhere in the order of 1,000 in that closet. :eusa_doh: [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
It may take a while as there are somewhere in the order of 1,000 in that closet. :eusa_doh: [huh]
Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask you JP. How do you organize 1k ties? By color, pattern, texture, makers, etc.?
Inquiring minds need to know!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Widebrim said:
Marc, you see Sulka's from time to time at the thrift store I mentioned to you just today. I've got one, but it isn't moire silk.

Sulka stopped making ties with moire silk after the early '60s. Some more info (not mine):

"A true moire process involves deviating and crushing a fabric's grain to modify its surface in such a manner that it reflects light to produce the desired motif. Many firms now imitate this look, but it is largely a lost art.

The fabrics Sulka used came from only the best Italian [silk] suppliers, including Ratti, Campi, Mantero, and Fermo Fossati."

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A local newspaper is doing a story about my vintage necktie collection. The interview and photo shoot was today and was told it will run in their Saturday paper. It's just a small Iowa paper, though, and does not have a website. It's not your typical small town paper, though, the staff is usually journalism grads right out of school so they are always itching to write good stories for their portfolios...same for the shooters, too. Should I like it I'll try and scan it and post it....if you want. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82