Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
Iowa and other states in the midwest are virtually untouched vintage frontier.

I'm having a hard time up here in northwest Iowa, though. Sioux Falls, SD, has at least six thrift stores. I hit five of them over the weekend, but found only those two ties. The town where I live has quite a few elderly widows, but some have told me horror stories of them throwing out their husband's clothing soon after thier deaths. :eek: Word has spread quickly here, though, of what I am seeking. ;)

Feraud said:
That may be the case in certain parts of America.
The lifespan must be better in other parts of the U.S. because the goods we appreciate barely show up in thrift stores in NYC. That generation must have passed on or moved out of the city.

Makes sense as people get older and retire, they move out of the cities and into the suburbs. That is where they live out the rest of their lives and where stuff we seek likely ends up. ;) :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I'm having a hard time up here in northwest Iowa, though. Sioux Falls, SD, has at least six thrift stores. I hit five of them over the weekend, but found only those two ties. The town where I live has quite a few elderly widows, but some have told me horror stories of them throwing out their husband's clothing soon after thier deaths. :eek: Word has spread quickly here, though, of what I am seeking. ;)

Excellent, word of mouth is probably the most effective way to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if vintage started rolling your way soon.

Brummagem Joe said:
........There was fashion for abstract ties at one time and I can't remember whether it was before or after the second world war. The tie on the right even though I don't like this genre generally speaking is absolutely knockout.....it really is superb. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of leading abstract painters like Picasso and Dali had collaborated on some project where each designed a tie and then they were sold with proceeds to charity.......did this ever happen?

I have heard about this story as well. It is well possible to hand paint ties as we have all had a few in our possession. ;) I'd love to find one but they would likely go for the equivalent amount as one of their paintings. :rolleyes:
There are several signed ties by artists that were very good already out there. I would name a few but then it might be harder for me to find them myself. ;) :p

cookie said:
How is this preWar stuff still surfacing in America I ask....in a loft Mrs Cleaver? Down Under I saw the first genuine 40s suits the other day and 20 years ago they were everywhere...now all but dried up.

Figuring that WWII veterans, like my uncle etc., are now in their eighties; it is fairly easy to expect that there are a good amount of them still around. They have deep closets and thus enough gets saved at the back to still surface once in a while. ;) I know my uncle's closet holds a few things that many here would go nuts over. :D
Another thing is that these people lived throught he Depression and many never throw anything still serviceable away. Maybe they will wear it again one day. ;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MarcusB said:
My fave shirt and tie for sure

DSCF5786cropped.jpg

The tie goes well with the shirt, Marcus. Is the former vintage, or of the modern variety?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Figuring that WWII veterans, like my uncle etc., are now in their eighties; it is fairly easy to expect that there are a good amount of them still around. They have deep closets and thus enough gets saved at the back to still surface once in a while. ;) I know my uncle's closet holds a few things that many here would go nuts over. :D
Another thing is that these people lived throught he Depression and many never throw anything still serviceable away. Maybe they will wear it again one day. ;)

Very true. My father, another WWII vet (PTO) and 91 years old, kept quite a bit of his clothing through the years. Several of my late-'50s/early-'60s neckties were his. Quite a few of his cufflinks and tie bars fell into my possession, too. I also have one of his sport coats (black with red window pane design, marked 1947), and the prize of all my attire, his DB grey, pin-stripe suit from 1946 (altered to fit me).

Now, regarding availability of vintage clothing in thrift shops, it varies here in Los Angeles. There is almost next to nothing in some districts/unincorporated areas (Mid-Wilshire, East Los Angeles, Boyle Heights, etc.), but quite a bit in others (Lincoln Heights, Echo Park). Having said that, though, I did find a solid post-WWII SB suit in East L.A., and a beautiful early'40s SB suit in Mid-Wilshire, so you never know...As far as the suburbs are concerned, it has really been hit-or-miss over the years, especially in Glendale and Burbank. I think it is true, though, that many closets out there hold various "treasures" that are waiting to see the light of day. When I go to a thrift store and see several neckties from the same time period, I know that somebody's wardrobe got cleaned out.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I got my first two vintage ties today, though I have no idea how old they are. Both were dirt cheap, but I paid considerably less for the second, which turned out to be in much better shape.

The first one has no label that I can find, and is dirtier.
IMG_4153small.jpg

IMG_4154small.jpg

IMG_4156small.jpg

IMG_4157small.jpg

Lamplight said:
I got my first two vintage ties today, though I have no idea how old they are. Both were dirt cheap, but I paid considerably less for the second, which turned out to be in much better shape.

The first one has no label that I can find, and is dirtier.

The Savoy is a perfectly respectable brand. The other tie looks fine as well.
Now you just have to decide how brave you are. Do they go to the cleaners or do you try to clean them at home. ;) :D

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Now you just have to decide how brave you are. Do they go to the cleaners or do you try to clean them at home. ;) :D

That's what I've been pondering all day. I haven't yet read up on cleaning ties, but I'm also not sure I trust the cleaners around here. :eusa_doh:

Quigley Brown said:
Congrats Lamplight. Both are very nice finds.

Thanks. :) Now if I just had something appropriate to wear with them. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe