Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

3986f25077bb1ec7a69b7a1ae4e27468.jpg

Found these two at a thrift store today. Not my usual lucky store, either. These were tucked in amongst the crappy 90s ties and spiritual themed ones.

The one with leaves is a Regal.
47e4c48d315126d1f04c92278ea3498c.jpg

I've been looking for a leaf themed one for awhile. Not the best I've seen, but it will do.

The other one is unlabeled, but I couldn't resist the pattern.
81d20907c4cf77b0b7d58b483642f671.jpg

Pretty happy for $2 each.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
dh66 said:
This jacket is a knockout! It would look good with any tie....even without one.

Thank you. It is my preferred garment for warm weather.
Indeed I wear it often with a spread collar shirt.

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
That last one was really nice.

Yes, I love both the shape and fabric! (the clip-on construction is actually pretty handy too :) )

Wow...those all are in really great condition for as how old they are. Would look fantastic being worn with a suit and waistcoat....

All three of them are pretty much as new! The black ones just need a good ironing... A high waistcoat! Don't think the pre-tied one is much longer than 15 centimeters...

Those are very nice! From what I've seen, I really like the earlier 20th century ties. I own a 1900s/1910s off-white tie, myself. It is also very short, but I'm able to tie it in a decent length for my height, if I get the back end really short. I'm wondering what 1880s and 1890s ties looked like, though? Does anybody here own a tie made that early, from the 19th century?

I just came across this page: http://www.photosmadeperfect.com/AA Mens Fashions By Decade.htm Gives a nice overview per decade including neckties.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I just came across this page: http://www.photosmadeperfect.com/AA Mens Fashions By Decade.htm Gives a nice overview per decade including neckties.

Thank you, I bookmarked that page!

I now bought a new lot of four black ties, two solid 4 inch wide ones and two narrow 2.5 to 2.25 inches crochet knit ties. Take a look at the link for more pictures and the labels. The two wide ties are Best Black 100% Wool Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. ties. The two narrow ones are Burt-Knit English Crochet and California Fashioned Jacquard Crochet ties. When are these four ties dated, '40s, '50s?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161304910801?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$_57.JPG

3986f25077bb1ec7a69b7a1ae4e27468.jpg

Found these two at a thrift store today. Not my usual lucky store, either. These were tucked in amongst the crappy 90s ties and spiritual themed ones.

The one with leaves is a Regal.
47e4c48d315126d1f04c92278ea3498c.jpg

I've been looking for a leaf themed one for awhile. Not the best I've seen, but it will do.

The other one is unlabeled, but I couldn't resist the pattern.
81d20907c4cf77b0b7d58b483642f671.jpg

Pretty happy for $2 each.

Damn! Those were two great finds!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
On the subject of 'boring' ties:

For much of the year I wear a waistcoat. What would be the point of a 'bold' tie with pictorial scenes if no one is going to see them?

On the subject of 'boring' ties:

For much of the year I wear a waistcoat. What would be the point of a 'bold' tie with pictorial scenes if no one is going to see them?
This is a very good point. Were I to wear a waistcoat (or vest, as we call 'em) or a sweater and only a small portion of the tie be showing, it would fairly well defeat the purpose of some of the bold look designs. Something like the leaf tie on the left in the post above would be as bold as anyone would ever need dressed as such, with only the knot and maybe top part of the tie showing. It is at such times when something else, like the jacket, has to take the lead, and I know that you have quite the collection of nice jackets.
I, on the other hand, am blessed (or cursed) to live in a part of the world where more often than not it is too miserably warm to even wear a jacket. Even in the cooler months it isn't often jacket AND waistcoat cool. So when it's just tie and shirtsleeves, I like the tie to be heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe