Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

donCarlos

Practically Family
Ok, I photographed my little collection today. They are not vintage (the oldest ones can be from the 70´s) and most of them are made of polyester, but who cares? I´m glad they don´t reflect light like the new ones.

2008_04250004.jpg
2008_04250005.jpg
2008_04250006.jpg

(the blue and red is silk, the last is knitted)

Some of them are with matching pocket squares...
2008_04250007.jpg

And finally, I also got two scarves. The red one is of cotton and the other is made of some kind of translucent plastic and may be for ladies, but I love the pattern
2008_04250003.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
AlanC said:
Warbaby, in all my vast thrifting I don't think I've ever seen an ascot in the piles of ties. Great find!

I hadn't either, but this week I found not one, but two, and at two different thrift stores! Forgot to photograph the other one - it's dark red with 1/4" olive dots with tiny red centers. The ascots were only .50 each and are in like-new condition.

YETI

A-List Customer
I wonder . . .

born2late said:
Hi everyone-

I posted these pics in the "General Attire" category, but I thought they might also belong in this "Show Us Your Ties" forum, as well.

A friend of mine is a collector of vintage 1940's American neckties. He sent the pics below (and others) of his collection to his friends and family last year. He's a nice chap and we talk often about all things "vintage". I've seen his collection once in person, and it is truly is a sight to behold...

Enjoy!

Collection1.jpg

Collection2.jpg
could this be the chap who spends upwards of $200 on ebay for handpainted 40s ties?

Warbaby

One Too Many
Some recent thrift shop finds...

Two more silk ascots:
ascots2.JPG

A snappy silk bow tie with tigers and stuff:
tie_bowtie.JPG

A hand painted silk tie, signed with initials. It doesn't show well in photo, but many of the lines around the edges of the geometric shapes are metallic silver.

tie_painted.jpg

tie_painted2.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why, thank you Widebrim. I also think they still exist, but not in Rochester nor perhaps even in the United States.
Please post your Superba Cravats?
And that dark spot that looks like a stain isn't: it was my first run at using a scanner and the tie got a little folded up under the cover.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:
In homage to Matt Deckard, whose "Show us your suits" thread has been viewed more times than any other, we offer all Loungers a place to show off the '20s-'30s-'40s ties they love (or love to hate). Our only criteria is that these ties be from the decades cited above, and that you show them to us. The ties can be yours, someone else's, or just something you've found in a photo or seen in a film.

-- Marc and Veronica

This is a great thread, of course, and I will post some ties if the system allows me yet. However, when dating ties there is no guarantee that a necktie which looks like late 40s (Bold Look) might not actually be early 50s. So expect some overlap.:D

Warbaby

One Too Many
I was browsing through Ben Silver's guide to regimental ties last night and discovered that one of my vintage ties that I thought was a particularly jazzy Jazz Age tie was actually a regimental tie - the Royal Artillary. It was only after I looked at it closely again that I noticed the tiny tag with the words "Royal Artillary" on it. Duh.

ArtilleryTie1.jpg

ArtilleryTie2.jpg

ArtilleryTie2b.jpg

From the labels, the fabric, and the short (51") length, I'm guessing it's from the 30s - Yes? No? The odd overlapping fold at the small end is something I've never seen before.

I know that it's ok to wear authentic regimental and university ties in the U.S., but what about here in British Columbia? There are a lot of retired Brit military guys here. Would it be an inexcusable faux pas to wear it here? I really like this tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe