Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
What Florian said. Conservative vintage ties can be had on ebay for $5 or less. If you buy in bulk, you can get vintage ties online for a dollar or less. Of the hundreds I have, I can only think of one that I paid more than $20 for.

I would like some advice. Would a 3 inch wide tie be considered conservative enough for the workplace nowadays? I don't have a job right now, but I'm going to be ordering a custom-made, plain midnight blue grenadine tie by Sam Hober in that width; 3 inches wide, and then maybe 54 or 55 inches in length. I normally wear my slacks either at the naval, or an inch below. First and foremost, I'm basically having the tie made because of the style and a width I think would look good on me without being too narrow as to stand out more, the job-appropriate factor is an afterthought.

I would like a tie that is two or three inches shorter than a lot of modern ties are, I think ties that anyone could buy at the store today are too long. I almost never wear ties below the belt, normally the blade rests on top of it where the shirt ends and the pants begin.

I'm going to make arrangements to order it soon so that I'll have it shortly after university starts again. Thanks.

My comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_eKqxu0w84&list=UUDqoi04g_W-pcR-6xY_-Bzw&index=2&feature=plcp

And the tie of the day is:
$(KGrHqJ,!hYE6eU(oJM7BQIb6wRhbg~~60_3.JPG

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A Tootal 'Gold Quality' tie. It is from the period when they moved over to making ties from polyester rather than rayon.

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Although these ties are nowhere near as nice as the earlier rayon ties, I still think they have their own charm. Also, there are always some outfits that they work well with (i.e. the more mature 1950s look). And they can be found really cheaply, which is an advantage.
I'd still rather wear this than 99% of modern ties.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the advice, and John in Covina, I agree with you about the length of modern ties, but I have never seen any as long as that before. You say that they are 70-72 inches? I think all of my modern ties at present are just 59 to 60. I only do a four-in-hand knot anymore, so I don't need an excessive length to work with for different knots. I guess for the custom tie I'll have it made 3 inches, and maybe 54 or 55 inches length. I will measure the ties I have to make sure that's what I want. Also, thanks to all of your knowledge gathered in this thread, I am able to, more or less, distinguish between different decade ties on a basic level, thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe