Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Never heard of Tru-Lov, i'm afraid. But just a bit of info on "Resilient Construction". All that refers to is the number of pieces used to make the tie, and the way in which they're stitched together. Patented 1923, I believe. Some of the Hand Tailored Resilient Construction ties have the date on the back of the little black label. Virtually every tie from the late 20s onwards was made using this patented pattern as it greatly increased length of wear - no more ripped seams.

bk

You're right on that year, Baron, and it was patented by Jesse Langsdorf. I've got quite a few ties with the Resilient tag on them.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've been meaning to ask, but instead of starting a thread, maybe I'll start here. Can any of you folks explain the phenomenon of squared or square-end ties (ones that don't point towards the bottom)? I have seen examples of these that are both the thin 1950s/'60s variety, and even a reference to later, yet wider 1970s versions.
So, when exactly was the flat bottom tie at it's peak of popularity? When was it in the decline? Unless they're the currently trendy narrow ties, there are no other variations of this particular tie. Wide ones don't seem to exist, and I've been to a number of stores and outlets selling ties.

That's George wearing one, guv'nor...And watch out for that link; the company's prices are hiiiigh...

Square-bottomed neckties were quite popular in the mid-/late-'50s (although they existed before then), and as you can see from your posted photos, were still around in the mid-'60s. They were produced by many companies, but Rooster and square-bottomed became synonomous. I've got quite a few thin ones from the '50s, and are partial to them. They are still being made; just saw one yesterday at a Brooks Brothers or Hugo Boss store on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills (just "window shopping"). ;)

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Better be careful how you treat Rochester:
[video=youtube;8LItvNnwOk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LItvNnwOk4[/video]
:plol

Man, I love that clip!:lol: (And think about it; the joints that Rochester would go to, like [I think it's supposed to be] a department store along the Miracle Mile on Wilshire, are often places that his non-TV counterparts wouldn't have dared to enter back in those days!) And did you dig that Bold Look tie, and the up-turned brim on that stingy?

Just had a nice score at the local charity/thrift store. Four 30s-early 50s ties at £1 each …

I wonder could anyone tell me about vintage "Hawaiian" pattern ties - hibiscus, fruit, etc. etc - when they were popular, anyone got any ads(?). One of the four has such a pattern - pretty crushed up but looks like hibiscus flowers. It seems late 30s to me, and is labelled "A Delmar Creation".

I'll get pics once i've pressed them.

bk

Just had a nice score at the local charity/thrift store. Four 30s-early 50s ties at £1 each …

I wonder could anyone tell me about vintage "Hawaiian" pattern ties - hibiscus, fruit, etc. etc - when they were popular, anyone got any ads(?). One of the four has such a pattern - pretty crushed up but looks like hibiscus flowers. It seems late 30s to me, and is labelled "A Delmar Creation".

I'll get pics once i've pressed them.

bk

As I understand, Hawaiian ties and Hawaiiana in general became popular during the war and after it into the 50s and 60s.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
As I understand, Hawaiian ties and Hawaiiana in general became popular during the war and after it into the 50s and 60s.

Pretty much so, as regards the shirts. Their origins are disputed, but it is generally recognized that Hawaiian print shirts were first sold under an actual label in the mid-'30s. From what I've read/seen, though, Hawaiian-themed neckties became popular after the war. Delmar is pretty well-known, but you don't see that label as often as Hollyvogue, Botany, and others.

Ties-3.jpg Ties-1.jpg Ties-4.jpg ties-2.jpg

Just a few ties from the 12 pound tie lot. I think I did ok. This is only about 1/4th of the lot. There were over 100 ties in the box. I still haven't finished counting them all. :eusa_doh::D
My favorites are the roses and flamingo. There ae still some great ones to get pictures of. One has orchids and another is a hollyvogue with leather around the perimeter. :D

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 133

Just a few ties from the 12 pound tie lot. I think I did ok. This is only about 1/4th of the lot. There were over 100 ties in the box. I still haven't finished counting them all. :eusa_doh::D
My favorites are the roses and flamingo. There ae still some great ones to get pictures of. One has orchids and another is a hollyvogue with leather around the perimeter. :D

That mid-50s one on the left is very sophisticated looking. It would go really well with a couple 50s jackets I have. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82