Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
Wish I'd seen this thread a day earlier - those Golden Hour clocks are pretty easy to repair yourself. I've restored a dozen or so and if the motor's not burned out it's usually just a matter of cleaning the drive gears and oiling the motor. Dismantling one takes only a few minutes and there aren't a lot of fiddly little bits to deal with. OTOH, having your clock guy do it is the sure way to have it running in tip-top shape for years to come.

They're very cool clocks and one of the great mid-century design icons - definitely worth the cost of restoring it, particularly considering the smokin' price you got it for.

I am not mechanically inclined. I'm sure I would have had several parts left over had I taken it apart and put back together. lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
this coat that I've posted in te "help me date this item" thread

2008_03280002.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
2008_03290005.jpg

pistachio green and powder blue RHT seam free stockings, £1 a pair

sewing / knitting books - two 1940's one 1951

2008_03290006.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
I don't have a freakin' camera to post any pics, but today i went to my church yard sale and bought Tallulah Bankheads autobiography(1952) for 50 cents and a little plastic container with some odds and ends of mostly mismatched earrings for 10 cents that had a pair of cultured pearl stud earrings in it!!!yay!

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Got today

Fairly good day of snooping around got these.

Kodak No1 Autographic (At least I think so)...$8

100_3124.jpg

100_3125.jpg

And this ring. Its German WWI. The winners of the Iron Cross would sometimes make signet rings. A Rare find!! $15 :D
100_3126.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very cool!
:eek:fftopic: I just noticed in my pic you can see a little of my dad's valet, one of my Oleg suits and my Hawaiian necktie, and some of our books and booze. A bar or cocktail cabinet is on my list and a digital camera to call my own. I know they're only about a hundred bucks but I'm already eating baloney sangwiches. I clipped the tablecloth to some of my clothes that are hanging on the back of the door. So many things to photograph with the borrowed camera and my first was that cool tablecloth.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: Personally I think it would be great if people would start a new thread for each find for easier navigation and discussing. After all, most of the old things we get are from yard sales, flea markets, etc. Also, each unique find deserves its own spotlight, I think!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:
:eek:fftopic: Personally I think it would be great if people would start a new thread for each find for easier navigation and discussing. After all, most of the old things we get are from yard sales, flea markets, etc. Also, each unique find deserves its own spotlight, I think!

You read my mind PSG!!! I hope more people agree with you. :eusa_clap

I also don't get why people get ticked off when you start a new thread about an already addressed topic. Why would I want to post my brand new "old" item on the very end of a topic that's 50 pages long and was started 2 years ago? Your item can easily get lost in the heap.

zaika

One Too Many
anthony, what a beautiful (and lucky!) find!!! as one currently in the market for a new old couch and armchair set like yours, i am exceedingly jealous!! :p lol

and the curtains are lovely, too. :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lauren said:
COOOL!!!! Does it work?

Yes....motor runs, powers needle up and down...etc...

I just have yet to figure out the thread path to thread it....or wind the bobbin..

But I did remove about 25 years of fuzzy dust from under the plate. ewwww

But folks online have a manual for it...so might just cave in and paypal them the small fee they want for a pdf of it.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neecerie, that is phatty-bomb-batty. There is a bar in Krakow with black antique Singer sewing machine tables outside to sit at ... you'd like it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Neecerie, that is phatty-bomb-batty. There is a bar in Krakow with black antique Singer sewing machine tables outside to sit at ... you'd like it.

My baboonya sewed on one of those for years...and eventually the table was at my moms, and as a kid I used to pretend the treadle was the gas pedal for a car....Imagine my dismay upon learning to drive that real cars weren't 'pedal faster go faster' and you had to -hold- the pedal down! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld