Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
I wasn't rude to you, don't be rude to me. Thanks.

So stop constantly admonishing others not to dress this, that, or the other way. Stop constantly wagging a finger at them -- whether they ask for your opinion or not -- about how their trouser hem is too long, or too short, or too wide, or too narrow, or too too. Try keeping at least some of your sartorial judgements to yourself. When you dress as well as Manton, Tomasso, and Orgetorix, to name just a few (and none of whom are as fingerwagging as you), then your house won't be so glasslike.

I've held my tongue and haven't seen you improve. Time for a dose of cold water frankness. Consider it a learning experience.

Clear enough?

Here, at last, is a good photo of me wearing that black with white pinstripe CC41 suit i got from Senator Jack a long time ago. This suit is essentially deadstock, SB notch lapel with 3 button front. Note the DB waistcoat, and how the pinstripes of the DB lapels line up with the pinstripes of the body of the waistcoat. Very nice work. I would, however, rate the Montague Burton suits above Hepworths in terms of quality of fabric, fit and construction. I'd be interested to know what other people with experience of British suits of this era think of relative quality of the different mass manufacturers.

Hepworths1.jpg

And a shot for the true colour and showing the notch lapels . . .

Hepworths2.jpg

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
That suit looks good. I have found a variety of qualities from Burton. I have a lovely Harris Tweed suit, and the cloth is very heavy and very well cut, however I have a blue serge Burton suit and the cloth is quite cheap and the cut is not fantastic.

However, I would say Burtons quality seems to be better than Hepworths, and Deffinatley better than Thursday's etc.

Ben

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You guys and your arguements.

I myself like Jeff Bridges suit as it looks a bit more fitted. Studio made that one was and I saw the original in the lobby at the premiere of Seabiscuit.

We all have our own choices and styles and our eyes are not all alike when it comes to what we think is right. There is sartorial ideals and there is criticism and sometimes one steps over the other.

Watch yourselves.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Here, at last, is a good photo of me wearing that black with white pinstripe CC41 suit i got from Senator Jack a long time ago. This suit is essentially deadstock, SB notch lapel with 3 button front. Note the DB waistcoat, and how the pinstripes of the DB lapels line up with the pinstripes of the body of the waistcoat. Very nice work. I would, however, rate the Montague Burton suits above Hepworths in terms of quality of fabric, fit and construction. I'd be interested to know what other people with experience of British suits of this era think of relative quality of the different mass manufacturers.

Hepworths1.jpg

And a shot for the true colour and showing the notch lapels . . .

Hepworths2.jpg

bk

I love that suit on you. Not sure if I would ever feel right in that style. I have adefinite image of myself in vintage. But it looks exactly like what a wealthy English scholar might sport. I know, you got us fooled on the wealthy part;) You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

aliados

One of the Regulars
NICE suit! LOVE that unique style! I've nver seen one quite like it!
BTW, with all the talk about armholes on older suits, I had to try to get myself one (if it fits well, I can send the measurements to mysuitshop.com and maybe the next one will be done properly)!
About 20 years newer than the period I favor, but maybe, just maybe, it's got that vintage fit. What do you folks think? Did I do well?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=R40&satitle=130108134789%09&category0=&fvi=1
Also, I found a double breasted suit jacket (circa 1947, according to the lable in the pocket) in a Salvation Army thrift shoop in NYC, for a whopping $15 (sadly, somewhat frayed), and it did fit comfortably -- which is why I went for this newer, eBay suit. . . Here's hoping!

Hemingway Jones said:
Wow, I love that suit: the bold pattern, the wide lapels on the waistcoat, the fit... very nice, indeed.

Thanks HJ. It's one of my favourites.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Excellent suit, excellent picture. My brain keeps adding a burning cigarette to your left hand, by the way.

I just managed to restrain myself from a Homburg and a giant cigar . . .

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82