Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi Baron,

Yes I think it is 1930s, but the condition is so good. It is very rare to find Flannel suits as it tends to be worn out.

Not a great source to go by, but Hugh Laurie (Bertie Wooster) wears a suit very similar to this one in an episode of Jeeves and Wooster. We met the costume designer for that the other day, he also did poirot as well. He runs a lovely tea room close to Ludlow which plays 1930s music, and has lots of nice 1930s touches.

Also, if you want any detail shots of any of the suits please just ask, I am happy to oblige.

Ben

Detailed shots of the labels would be great. My main suit archive is labels. I'm trying to do a study of the type-set and fonts used. I'm convinced that these can be used as an indicator of era. Certainly moreso than style. I have quite a few American labels photographed and i think i'm getting somewhere with my type-set/font thesis; it'd be interesting to see if Brit labels of a similar era conform to my thesis or not.

I just love seeing these British suits. The styling is so different from the US suits (which form the major portion of my own collection) that it is a delight to see them. A learning curve too.

I would also desparately love to see more 30s German tailoring. Again, worlds away from what we typically see in British and US suits of the period (at least the german pieces in my own collection are very distinctively styled).

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Baron,

A lot of British suits are not actually labelled, or if they are bespoke, have a small little white tailors label in. There is a website, I will try and find it again called the vintage fashion resource, and they have pictures of thousands of labels from all different time periods.

I think it is something that has thrown me a bit with the flannel suit, is the fact it has a label in it, but I think it may be a 1930s label, it is just unusual for a British suit to be labelled like that.

I have never seen a period Austin Reed label in a suit, which is something I would like to. A friend has a Harrods suit, and I have a couple made by the "ideal". I will post pictures of them when I can.

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Oh yes, I forgot about Hepworths, they were a very big tailor/outfitter of the time.

I have a feeling Hepworths were Burtons main competitor, then Slightly more up market was Austin Read etc.

ben

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Since this is the current suit thread and all the gents with the answers are looking I have a question. I bought this jacket as listed as a 1930's. It has no tags at all, pretty heavy wool, fully lined and functioning buttons at the cuffs. My only concern is that it has some shoulder padding. What is the common wisdom here about the padding, amount and years?

2512_3.JPG

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the evaluations guys. I actually did receive it today, I just used the photo from the "auction site" because I was in a hurry. This is only my second vintage suit, so I'm still not sure I'm being taken sometimes. You know how it is. Do you have any questions that may help to clarify what I have?

J. M. Stovall said:
There are just two interior pockets, one on each side at the chest. There are absolutely no tags anywhere on the jacket, inside or out. These are more auction pictures, I'll have to shoot better ones of the lining.
284b_12.JPG

35ff_12.JPG

2b3a_12.JPG

2e57_12.JPG

31d1_12.JPG

35ff_12.JPG

Pretty cool. You have surgeon's cuffs on the jacket. Too bad you couldn't find a date and person's name tag inside one of the interior pockets. Then it would be easy to date. ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken