Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
benstephens said:
Now I have access to a camera again, here is another suit.

This one is a very unusual Blue Grey with a blue pin stripe running through it. It has the widest "watch" pocket on the trousers I have ever seen!

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

Ben

Beautiful suit! Yay for 3 roll 2 peaks!

GBR

One of the Regulars
benstephens said:
Now I have access to a camera again, here is another suit.

This one is a very unusual Blue Grey with a blue pin stripe running through it. It has the widest "watch" pocket on the trousers I have ever seen!

DSCF0375.jpg

Ben

Is this suit English. It is not a watch pocket rather a 'cash' pocket typically found on English made suits. The idea being that either treasury notes or even a small wallet could be kept in it and easily retrieved by the whole hand.It is/was a common alternative to the back pocket.

StanleyVanBuren

GBR said:
Is this suit English. It is not a watch pocket rather a 'cash' pocket typically found on English made suits. The idea being that either treasury notes or even a small wallet could be kept in it and easily retrieved by the whole hand.It is/was a common alternative to the back pocket.

Right, and silly things like £2 coins won't fall out of a pocket like that when you sit down either.

Every time I'm in the UK with other Americans, one of their biggest complaints is the coins. If a £2 coin falls out of one of our pockets, that's like losing close to $5 for us!

Comparatively, at home, the most we could lose from a single coin is $0.25*, which is roughly 1/16 of that.

*not counting half-dollars and dollar coins which are extremely rare and which no one uses

Jovan

Suspended
It's the same where I come from -- Canada. They have $5 coins there, and the exhange rate is pretty close... so yeah, it's a bugger. They used to have all dollar amounts on notes but I think it changed about the mid '90s.

benstephens: That suit is gorgeous.

StanleyVanBuren

Baron Kurtz said:
I must admit that - to my knowledge - a 2 pound coin has never, ever fallen out of my pocket simply due to sitting down. Or any other coin, for that matter.

bk

Sure, but respectfully, you're British. You've been dealing with this your entire life and I'm sure you're used to it by now and either don't put change in certain pockets or simply don't have the kind of pockets that are shaped in such a way that coins might fall out of them.

It's us foreigners that are caught off guard.

When I lived in the UK, I found myself using the 5th pocket on my jeans for coin storage and that worked out well. With suits I'd use the coin pocket in the front-right trouser pocket, but this was never as reliable.

Well, 1 pound notes are still legal where i come from (or were the last time i was there), so the coins weren't quite so prevalent. Not so in England. And the circulation 2 pound coins were only introduced in 1998, just 3 years before i left the country. I probably have more experience using $1 and 50 c coins than i do using modern British coinage. other very recent changes include reduction in the size of 50p, 10p and 5p (both not so recent). 10p, 5p and 1p coins are pretty much identical to the American 25c, 10c and 5c coinage.

I just wonder how shallow a pocket must be to allow coins to drop out when sitting. [huh] Maybe Scottish pockets are just created deeper ;) (old joke)

now 5 pence pieces are annoying (more so than the old 1/2 pence used to be). They get stuck in the corners of pockets, and frankly are pretty useless these days. Time was (oh, when i was a lad!) that candy cost 1/2 p . . .

bk

Edward

Bartender
StanleyVanBuren said:
When I lived in the UK, I found myself using the 5th pocket on my jeans for coin storage and that worked out well. With suits I'd use the coin pocket in the front-right trouser pocket, but this was never as reliable.

I have a couple of pairs of cheap casual trousers (which don't look too bad coupled with other vintage accessories, though obviously folks on here would spot them a mile off), all-cotton, wide leg style - picked them up in UniQlo, of all places, last year when I wanted some inexpensive non-jeans for the office.... anyhow..... these have an extra little compartment in the bottom of the right trouser pocket for coins as opposed to the traditional coin pocket you get in a jeans cut. No idea how well it'd work, though - being a southpaw I arrange myself differently and my keys go in that pocket (chained to my belt, not quite zoot style but maybe a modern equivalent. If I don't chain my keys and wallets to myself, I forget 'em...). I might see about having that added to the left hand pocket when I have some trousers made next, see how I get on with it. Generally, I don't have a problem with these things, save a few years back when I had some cheap combat trosuers which had rather shallow pockets that stuff fell out of easy if you slouched in a seat. Otherwise, the only time I find things fall out of trouser pockets is if one should happen to be behaving in arather ungentlemanly fashion on the sofa with a young lady..... ;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
All a matter of what you're used to. When I'm in the US, I still find it awkward that you need several actual banknotes to buy a tin of fizzy drink.

Also the money has a touch of stage money compared to many newer European high-tech bills, and because you can forge dollars with old newspapers, some green ink and a potato stamp, nobody accepts larger bills, so people carry these enormous bulks about them.

And while inspite of larger-value coins, most European bus-ticket machines and the like accept bills, in the US, you have to carry a sack of laundry and a sack of quarters to the laundromat.

On the other hand, you could pay your pack of chewing gum by credit or debit card decades ago, when Europeans still carried suitcases of cash to their car dealer.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
StanleyVanBuren said:
Sure, but respectfully, you're British. You've been dealing with this your entire life and I'm sure you're used to it by now and either don't put change in certain pockets or simply don't have the kind of pockets that are shaped in such a way that coins might fall out of them.

Stanley,

He's Scottish. The idea of a Scot allowing money to escape is anathema. The £2 coin has been in circulation for 9 years - hardly time to get used to it.

Alan

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
All a matter of what you're used to. When I'm in the US, I still find it awkward that you need several actual banknotes to buy a tin of fizzy drink.

Also the money has a touch of stage money compared to many newer European high-tech bills, and because you can forge dollars with old newspapers, some green ink and a potato stamp, nobody accepts larger bills, so people carry these enormous bulks about them.

And while inspite of larger-value coins, most European bus-ticket machines and the like accept bills, in the US, you have to carry a sack of laundry and a sack of quarters to the laundromat.

On the other hand, you could pay your pack of chewing gum by credit or debit card decades ago, when Europeans still carried suitcases of cash to their car dealer.

There are certain aspects of the old USA that leave you wondering when they will enter the 20th(?) c but then there are other sides that are great such as $1 bills.

Technonut

Practically Family
I picked up this VERY nice DB vested wool suit made in Oct. 1945 from eBay. Those who watched the auction know that I paid a sizable amount for the suit, but the large size, quality, and fit, made it worth every penny to me... ;)

DBVest008.jpg

DBVest015.jpg

DBVest004.jpg

DBVest013.jpg

Travis

Suspended
Technonut said:
I picked up this VERY nice DB vested wool suit made in Oct. 1945 from eBay. Those who watched the auction know that I paid a sizable amount for the suit, but the large size, quality, and fit, made it worth every penny to me... ;)

DBVest003.jpg

DBVest015.jpg

DBVest004.jpg

DBVest013.jpg

Very nice indeed. I love the 3-piece DB look. You just can't beat that. And it looks like it fits like a glove. Good job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe