Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
I've bought my first pair of gen-yoo-wine vintage shoes. They date from the 1940s and were unworn. They are in great shape, but they seem a bit "brittle" and the glue holding the brand label to the inner sole at the heel has dried out. There is one very small abrasion, but for unworn vintage shoes in my size I'm not complaining!

Is there a thread somewhere here explaining basic shoe care (conditioner, shoe trees) and breaking in for beginners? I've posted one picture below. More pictures here.

IMG_0547.JPG

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Some not so old vintage looking shoes from Italy, made for "To Boot", no suede but some nice leather grain, soles and heels in really nice shape, and great color! I am still prone to the two tone/spectator look in shoes, these were a desired find for me.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've bought my first pair of gen-yoo-wine vintage shoes. They date from the 1940s and were unworn. They are in great shape, but they seem a bit "brittle" and the glue holding the brand label to the inner sole at the heel has dried out. There is one very small abrasion, but for unworn vintage shoes in my size I'm not complaining!

Is there a thread somewhere here explaining basic shoe care (conditioner, shoe trees) and breaking in for beginners? I've posted one picture below. More pictures here.

IMG_0547.JPG

Hello, grab some conditioner, lexol is O.K. but if you can find some Cadillac it works well and leave some what of a nice finish behind. Any shoe trees are better then none, you can find the lesser expensive plastic ones for about $6.00 a set, or try to find some ceder wood shoe trees, a bit more money. I would NOT wear the shoes until you have drowned them in conditioner for a few days. Use it inside and out, on all surfaces, rub it in with your fingers to get it to work into the leather. The leather needs it more than you can see by looking at the shoes and will only help them in the long run. You can find some polish, I think the color "mid tan" by Kiwi should be a good match for the color of the shoes.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

IMG_0547.JPG

Try to find some cadillac shoe conditioner, (lexol will do), the conditioner will remind you of a thin hand lotion. Drench those shoes with it for more than a day, inside and out, to let the leather really suck it all in, then you can use some polish the color "mid tan" should work well on those. Cheap plastic shoe trees are better then none, but you can also search for some cedar wood shoe trees. I think online 'shoeshine express" website should be a source for you, or even eBay. Anything that needs to be glued on the inside, "shoo goop" a small dab on the back side of what is loose, and when you press it down, give it a few taps with something like a small hammer to help press it down a bit more. I would wait until after you use conditioner to glue it back down. What size are those shoes?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Some seriously well made shoes here, I was really amazed by these! They have some "weight" to them, and the waist reminds me of spade soles, without actually being a spade sole. Seven eyelet for the laces, not common nowdays at all!

I am making a guess on these as to late 1950's, maybe mid 1960's? Not all that familiar with the brand of these but they are nice.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Today's dumb question: does "all surfaces" include the soles?

If the soles are leather, yes. And don't be shy about putting some all over on the inside of the shoes, turn them upside down and get the underneath parts of the top of the shoes, down on the inside where your toes go, and the sides, everything. Trust me, it will make a big difference in the long run. Then after a few days get the shoo goo and put a dab on what you need to re glue down. You can use a old rag to wipe off any excess conditioner, and if you have a older pair of cotton socks, put them on the first time you wear these after you condition them all up. It will help more or less, to clean out any coloring dye from the leather on those old cotton socks so that from then on, they will not "bleed" off any color or excess conditioner.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

Some seriously well made shoes here, I was really amazed by these! They have some "weight" to them, and the waist reminds me of spade soles, without actually being a spade sole. Seven eyelet for the laces, not common nowdays at all!

I am making a guess on these as to late 1950's, maybe mid 1960's? Not all that familiar with the brand of these but they are nice.

I am a fan of the pegged construction. I have to say, I am a bit perplexed by those soles. Pegged construction is done IN LIEU of thread stitching. Many shoemakers would agree that it is a superior method, in terms of solidity. Dr. Scholls made 100% pegged shoes back in the 40's & 50's (maybe into 60's as well). Later, they switched to a stitching method at the forefoot, but used pegged waist for xtra arch support. The pair you have pictured show pegged waist AND stitched as well. There is really no reason for this redundency. You always find the interesting ones, lmh2!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

SOOOOooo....my Wife jumps on the computer today, does her usual thing looking at hats, suits, ties and shirts and shoes...and then she takes a peek at these, says, "hey Honey, I just got you some Elvis shoes"!!!!! They appear to have been worn only a short period, hardly any marking on the soles, some "soft spade soles", nothing on the heels, the tops are in what the seller said, "marvy condition"....(marvy....can you imagine)??? Weeeee haaw, a pair of two toned near NOS and has the original box and receipt along with them from when they were first purchased......I am in shoe heaven! lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Just the heel alone screams Jarman. I have a pair my father bought in the 70s that have the same kind of heel. Those are just wing tips though. :p

That is really great. I have many items now that belonged to my Father. I really wish I had some of the fedoras he owned, and a few more of his suits. In the 1940's and 1950's, my Father would do most his shopping along Woodward Ave, in dowtown Detroit. At the time, the shoe, suit, hat shops were all over and top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe