Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojito, that is a great dress. It's so funny you bought a cigarette holder, I bought one of those today too. Although it's a modern one, it looks vintage.

Jitterbug, those are some great finds. I'm so jealous of all the pretty red coats I keep seeing you gal's post. I'm gonna have to find myself one.

Liz

Daisy Buchanan said:
Liz, first off, a warm welcome to The Lounge. I hope you enjoy yourself. It's a great community, full of great people (especially the ladies, we make this place!!:)), and useful and fun information. Now, your red coat is great! What a find. Really pretty, and love the color.

Thank you so much Daisy! Your new dress is absolutely stunning!

Mojito

One Too Many
They still sell candy cigarettes--I pass them out when I work as a cigarette girl
They do?! I thought I'd heard that they'd been swept up in the fear that they were marketing ciggies to the kiddie-winkies? Or is that just an Oz thing?

I'll have to see if I can track down a source, even if I need to find an O/S dealer...although I don't know if it will add much to the air of 1920s soignee that I'm aiming for when I punctuate someone's clever bon mot by pausing to pluck out my choco cig and chomp down on it!

Bring on the march of the red coats - there's nothing like a splash of crimson or scarlet on a gray winter day when everyone else is in black.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
e040_12.JPG

Wow, Jitterbugdoll, I love this one. I have always been looking for such a hat. But I could never find one in my size.

Daisy Buchanan

Mojito said:
They do?! I thought I'd heard that they'd been swept up in the fear that they were marketing ciggies to the kiddie-winkies? Or is that just an Oz thing?

I'll have to see if I can track down a source, even if I need to find an O/S dealer...although I don't know if it will add much to the air of 1920s soignee that I'm aiming for when I punctuate someone's clever bon mot by pausing to pluck out my choco cig and chomp down on it!

Bring on the march of the red coats - there's nothing like a splash of crimson or scarlet on a gray winter day when everyone else is in black.
I buy a lot of candy! I know, I'm a dental hygienist, so this is kind of silly, but, I just love sweets. Anyway, I have seen candy cigarettes in a lot of shoppes, just your typical candy store. They've actually gone quite high tech since I was a kid. They still make the gum that has little puffs of powdered sugar that you can blow out of it. They make the original, solid white sugar ones, that come in different boxes that look like ciggy boxes, and have names that sound almost like real ciggy names, and they also make the chocolate ones. These can be anywhere from simple sticks of chocolate to elaborately wrapped and boxed. All forms have very funny names. I always like the bubble gum ones when I was a kid.
I have bought a lot of candy on line, and have actually seen a few stores that sell all these kinds of candy cigarettes. So, if you can't find them in your local shoppe, you'll sure be able to buy them on the internet.

P

Paul

Mojito said:

Oh Mojito.. Well done! What a fabulous dress I just love beaded 20's and it is nice to see a different shade than black. This one is simple gorgeous.:eusa_clap

GOK

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
<snip>
They still make the gum that has little puffs of powdered sugar that you can blow out of it. They make the original, solid white sugar ones, that come in different boxes that look like ciggy boxes, and have names that sound almost like real ciggy names, and they also make the chocolate ones.

I don't want to cause any offence here but I'm afraid I'm one of those people that is disturbed by the idea of children having 'pretend' cigarettes. I personally abhor smoking but I accept that adults are free to make up their own minds; however, I really don't think children should be encouraged to believe it is in any way glamorous. It's not big, it's not clever, and frankly to deliberately give children the means to emulate something that is both foul and life threatening is, IMO, ridiculously irresponsible.

This isn't directed at anyone personally, BTW!

Mojito

One Too Many
I completely understand your POV, GOK, so no offense taken here. I'm rather sympathetic to your concerns as well. I haven't looked into it, but I was under the impression that chocolate cigarettes are no longer sold in Oz (and certainly aren't widely available) for that reason, but I could be wrong (I'm more a liquer truffle person - spirits, liquer and champagne are my vice of choice!). Perhaps they could be sold to adults, in the same way that naughty shaped chocolates are sold.

The appeal to me in the cigarette holder is not for smoking (as identified above, I'm a non-smoker). I just love gesturing with cigarette holders! Gives you something to do with your hands...besides juggling the champagne cocktail, of course.

Paul, so glad you liked that dress. I'm hoping to pick up a bandeau (a replica, or make one myself) that will match the blue beading.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Uh oh Daisy, look out... once you've been bitten by the ebay bug that's all she wrote!! Yes, you'll have all these beautiful gowns and you'll have to close your eyes to pick which one to wear!!

What finds ladies! Mojito, what a lucky girl your friend is, she will love the gown. The ciggy holder is neat too!

Jitterbug, great hats! Love the red coat and pompom hat.

Here's what I got recently.. (how many times did I say I've got to stay off till after xmas???)

I LOOOOOVE this!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260057649476&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

and this for Nova in a few years!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150063870874&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

Ohairas, those are incredible finds. The suit is beautiful, and that childs outfit is sooo adorable.
Yes, the bug has hit bad. I go through phases, where for months I can't find anything on ebay, and I end up getting frustrated. Then, jackpot! Not only do I find a bunch of stuff, but for pretty reasonable prices. The only thing is, just because they're reasonable, doesn't mean I should buy it all! But, I guess this is a good time of year to find formal wear. I'm planning on putting a bunch of my vintage things that either don't fit anymore or I just don't wear, in my ebay store, just to try and make up for some of the money I've spent. I have been really bad lately. I've been on a fountain pen kick for the past few months. I keep saying I'm gonna stop buying them, but then I find one that I really have to have. I finally found a pink one that I really love, and that was what i'd been looking for for a very long time, so I'm satisfied with my collection now. But, the guys keep telling me satisfaction is not possible when it comes to fountain pens. It's a really bad hobby to have! But, I don't celebrate Christmas, and I really only have to buy Hannukkah presents for my nephew, so I really don't spend a lot during the holiday season. So, I don't feel too bad yet!

By the way, Your new avatar is magnificent. I love it!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Daisy!
Mmm.. fountain pens!? Don't give me ANY OTHER ideas to search for on ebay, lol! Congrats on finding your pink one!
Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

ohairas said:
Thanks Daisy!
Mmm.. fountain pens!? Don't give me ANY OTHER ideas to search for on ebay, lol! Congrats on finding your pink one!
Nikki
Thank you. I've been searching for a pink one for months. The last night I was in Rome, I passed by a pen shoppe, and they had the perfect pink one in the window. But, they were closed, and we were leaving the next morning. I was so sad. Yesterday, while in Harvard Square, I went to a tobacco shoppe that also sells pens. Low and behold, right there in the front case was the exact pink fountain pen that I had to pass up in Rome. I was so thrilled. I only wished that I had known the brand name when I left Italy. It turns out that it's a popular Italian pen brand, and they are quite easy to get online. If I had known that I could have had my pink pen months ago! Oh well, I have it now, and that's all that matters.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
4c0d_1.JPG

I just recieved this cute little 1950's (maybe earlier) bustier/bra thing for $10 on ebay. It's gorgeous in real life (and fits!), the picture doesn't do it justice!

When I tried it on though, it was the first time I had ever worn anything that cinched my waist but not my hips. It was scary how gigantic my hips look!

GOK

One Too Many
PT, that's fab! And don't worry, nobody else will think your hips look large - all they'll see is a beautifully curved figure. And hey, if it was good enough for Barbie....;)

Are the cups particularly pointy? I can't quite see from the photo. All the 50s bustiers I have are quite rounded in comparison to the (strapped) actual bras. I don't suppose you could post a piccy of the inside of it, could you please? I'd like to see how it is constructed. Thanks! :D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Are the cups particularly pointy? I can't quite see from the photo. All the 50s bustiers I have are quite rounded in comparison to the (strapped) actual bras.

I can't see the pic because I am at work (I am sure it's quite lovely though:)), but I have a couple of 1950s merry widows that have very pointy cups (one even has boning placed horizontally across the cup to exaggerate this shape.)

When I tried it on though, it was the first time I had ever worn anything that cinched my waist but not my hips. It was scary how gigantic my hips look!

That's the proper shape for the era--a very tiny waist with full, round hips. Don't worry, this figure looks smashing in tight sweaters and pencil skirts ;)

GOK

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
I can't see the pic because I am at work (I am sure it's quite lovely though:)), but I have a couple of 1950s merry widows that have very pointy cups (one even has boning placed horizontally across the cup to exaggerate this shape.)

I have one with boned cups too but it's not that pointy. I reckon it's me, y'know - I'm just an odd shape! lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
GOK said:
PT, that's fab! And don't worry, nobody else will think your hips look large - all they'll see is a beautifully curved figure. And hey, if it was good enough for Barbie....;)

Are the cups particularly pointy? I can't quite see from the photo. All the 50s bustiers I have are quite rounded in comparison to the (strapped) actual bras. I don't suppose you could post a piccy of the inside of it, could you please? I'd like to see how it is constructed. Thanks! :D

They cups are very natural, its that kinda not pointy/not round shape, you know?

Here's the URLs to photos of the inside and outside, lying flat (if you want bigger/better pictures, just let me know!)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/pigeontoe/vintageclothes/12_2006022.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/pigeontoe/vintageclothes/12_2006023.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:

That's the proper shape for the era--a very tiny waist with full, round hips. Don't worry, this figure looks smashing in tight sweaters and pencil skirts ;)

True, I definitely have my grandma's figure going on! That's one of the reasons why I got interested in vintage clothing in the first place. It felt amazing to be in clothes that I didn't feel uncomfortable in! I still wear jeans everyday, but the pulling them over my hips every 5 minutes thing gets tiring! Modern clothes make me look about 2 sizes bigger than I really am because clothes just aren't cut for girls with curves anymore.

Daisy Buchanan

pigeon toe said:
True, I definitely have my grandma's figure going on! That's one of the reasons why I got interested in vintage clothing in the first place. It felt amazing to be in clothes that I didn't feel uncomfortable in! I still wear jeans everyday, but the pulling them over my hips every 5 minutes thing gets tiring! Modern clothes make me look about 2 sizes bigger than I really am because clothes just aren't cut for girls with curves anymore.
I know exactly what you mean about vintage clothes being comfortable. I feel the same way. The style and cut's just fit my figure much better. I've had some pretty rapid weight gain due to high doses of steroids, but the styles of the thirties and forties are meant to embrace my new curves. I am much more comfortable than when I'm wearing my modern clothes. When I do wear modern, I find outfits that have similar cuts to vintage. I tend to wear a lot of a-line skirts and tight small weave sweaters, or if I wear pants it's trousers. I'm looking my hardest for a pair of jeans I saw a gal wearing in the mall the other day. They were like a pair of slacks, they weren't all faded and ripped, a nice dark even color, and they didn't have pockets on the back side. IMO, pockets on the butt tends to accentuate my butt, and I want a pair of jeans that makes an attempt at making them smaller.

Anyway, back to the purchases. I received a bunch of the dresses I won in the mail today. I am delighted, the measurements were all spot on and the condition of all the dresses were exactly as described, if not better. I've had a lot of problems with ebay sellers in the past who don't know how to measure, and sugar coat the condition to try and get higher bids. It's such a relief to have the things I won in hand and see that they are exactly as described. I really love the 3/4 length champagne colored dress with the lace. It's even prettier in person and fit's perfect. I am amazed. It looks like it's never even been worn. I do have one concern. Two of the dresses, the above mentioned peach on and the light yellow color gown with the train, are in such perfect condition, I'm wondering if they aren't actual vintage, but handmade repro's sold as vintage. The yellow dress has a nylon zipper, but this could just be a replacement. But, the dresses are just so perfect, they look like they have never been worn. Well, either way, I still love both of them. If they are repro's they are pretty darn good ones. I'm going to stay positive and think that they are indeed true vintage. It is possible that they were sitting in a trunk for all of these years and never worn. Both sellers said they were freshly laundered. Must be a pretty good dry cleaner to produce such perfectly clean, new looking dresses. Oh, and I can't forget to mention the Whiting and Davis purse. It is like new! So perfect and clean. It is still in it's original box and the little mirror that comes along with it is still wrapped in it's original tissue paper. It really is an exquisite purse. I hope it appreciates in value. I do know the basics about the Whiting and Davis brand, but not much else aside from that. Does anybody know anything about this brand? Thanks!!!

GOK

One Too Many
Are you going to add some photos of you wearing your new stuff to your album, Daisy? I do hope so.

PT - thank you so much for the photos, I appreciate you posting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe