Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
too creepy to pass up
2be07fac.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
i made myself get out today and go vintage/antique/thrift shop hopping by myself. didn't get what i was hoping to find (stuff for the vanity)...but found some cool things.

as a knitter, this was totally awesome. (interesting patent info)

DSC06576.jpg

DSC06581.jpg

a thing to keep score in for bridge

DSC06596.jpg

DSC06597.jpg

a plasticky jar (lucite? celluloid? bakelight? lol)

DSC06582.jpg

something for scarves or makeup

DSC06593.jpg

zaika

One Too Many
continued....

two ice cube trays

DSC06602.jpg

sorry...but this nail clipper was too great to pass up...

DSC06599.jpg

and my favorite..."The Complete Book of Sewing" published 1943.

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06591.jpg

i'll stop posting a million photos now. sorry. :p hehe

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Wonderful waterfall set! I'm thinking your handles might be Caitalin. It's a form of bakelite just a different chemical formula that makes the plastic transparent instead of opaque.

http://www.americancatalin.com/

Good call Mary, I totally forgot about catalin. I have a white mesh purse with a catalin kisslock closure and catalin chain handles at home, I think I need to pull it out and clean it off to use this summer!

A lot of items that we refer to as bakelite are actually catalin, especially the jewelry. Bakelite has become a blanket name in the same way that some people call all tissues Kleenex.

leaette

A-List Customer
zaika: LOVE that yarn bag. I have been wanting one like that for years. But...I'm in search of the "perfect" one for me. I've seen several in my searches but I'm just waiting until one speaks to me.
Yours is very nice. I like the fabric.

zaika

One Too Many
miss elise - thank you! the book is actually really fascinating. it has some good illustrations of sewing techniques and lots of advice on how to dress based on body type, etc. and it's in pretty good condition. the vendor actually had two of these. i wonder if any of the other ladies here have one?

Miss Hannah - thanks!! i love it too. i actually saw it in the shop about three months ago but decided against it. so when i went back, it was still there. so i took it as a sign. lol i have a green quilted box like that (sans lid) that has little compartments for scarves and such. now it has a companion. :)

Mary Deluxe - thank you! i'll take a look at that website!

leaette - the bag is a DREAM. and i actually saw THREE in the same shop. this one used barkcloth for the bag. it's really...well...i'm smitten with it. lol i've been looking for something like this for a long time, too. and it goes with my furniture. lol

Josephine

One Too Many
More Girl Scout Pins!

I was *so happy to get this lot. Now I don't have to get one or two at a time with the ensuing higher S&H. All I need now are two of the oval Brownie WAGGGS pins and the first Daisy pin. :)

GirlScoutPins.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
Good call Mary, I totally forgot about catalin. I have a white mesh purse with a catalin kisslock closure and catalin chain handles at home, I think I need to pull it out and clean it off to use this summer!

A lot of items that we refer to as bakelite are actually catalin, especially the jewelry. Bakelite has become a blanket name in the same way that some people call all tissues Kleenex.

People don't seem to understand that no matter what ya call it...Lucite, bakelite, catalin, etc...it's all plastic! lol Just different formulas used to produce different effects. So, you're right, people just label everything as "bakelite" because it's the most "known" type of vintage plastic!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1937 Women's Varsity Jacket

This was a gift from the family I helped with the house cleaning. I can't even find one online to compare if it's common or rare!?

varsity1.JPG
varsity2.JPG

varsity3.JPG
varsity4.JPG

It fits me! :eusa_clap Anyone know about repairing or restoring the leather and knitted parts? I'm not quite sure what to do.

varsity5.JPG
varsity7.JPG

varsity6.JPG

Sunny

One Too Many
zaika said:
miss elise - thank you! the book is actually really fascinating. it has some good illustrations of sewing techniques and lots of advice on how to dress based on body type, etc. and it's in pretty good condition. the vendor actually had two of these. i wonder if any of the other ladies here have one?

I have one! It's great! :eusa_clap

Mary

Practically Family
Wow! It must be very rare. I mean, how many women went to universities then. Is it for some sport or for everday wear? A fantastic find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe