Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Nice steals, Miss Brill! Given the fabric of the first one, I think it's probably 80s, not 50s, though it can be hard to tell. Is there a zipper and if so, what is it made of and where is it placed?

Even if they date to a more recent time, for 50 cents each, who cares?

Thanks! The blue dress is a pullover, and there are no zippers anywhere, not even at the waist to make it easier to get on. I have the waist cinched for the pictures--the skirt is poofy and has pockets.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not technically a purchase

I traded this (1950's Mink Wrap, fully lined, excellent condition)

overcoat_13a_fur.JPG

For this:

glasses1.JPG
glasses2.JPG

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Betty--those are great! What a wonderful trade! :eusa_clap

I had some luck at Goodwill today--I bought several sweaters, including a Burberry cardi, and a Max Studio pullover, and my vintage finds were limited to a acrylic cardigan from Sears (w/Union label, it was .99)--I'm thrilled with it because it looks new, and is long enough to cover my butt. :eek:

028-1.jpg

And this VF slip was .50 at another charity store:
027-1.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
027-1.jpg

That is quite a find! I have one just like it in aqua blue and I will say that I paid significantly more for mine. It is a really lovely slip - just look at that all lace bodice. Gorgeous.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
KittyT said:
That is quite a find! I have one just like it in aqua blue and I will say that I paid significantly more for mine. It is a really lovely slip - just look at that all lace bodice. Gorgeous.

You mean it worth something? Should I be careful with it? :eek:

It is pretty--but even better--the lace is sooo soft! It is softer than most I've seen on the vintage nightgowns. I used to have a collection of some STUNNING nightgown sets & never wore any because they were too itchy.

I forgot about another find today--a little snap-front house dress with polka dot collar & cuffs (it was .99--probably 70s or 80s, but I still like it):
094.jpg

095.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Brill said:
I had some luck at Goodwill today--I bought several sweaters, including a Burberry cardi, and a Max Studio pullover, and my vintage finds were limited to a acrylic cardigan from Sears (w/Union label, it was .99)--I'm thrilled with it because it looks new, and is long enough to cover my butt. :eek:

027-1.jpg

I have this very same slip, actually. I don't think I paid much for it, but it's my favorite! It actually supports me up top - no bra necessary! Though I usually wear one anyway. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Oh, Mojito that headpiece is lovely--I've only seen them rarely.
Thanks, imoldfashioned! I do love bandeaus, kokoshniks, turbans etc from the late teens, early 20s. I have another one that I simply love - it's very simple rows of rhinestones set in a brass headpiece, tying at the back with ribbons.

Miss Brill, what a haul! Sifting through Goodwill to find the gold requires a great eye and some patience - you obviously have the gift.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Brill said:
I found a couple of dresses at Goodwill--they were .50 each. The blue rose is a cotton, and looks homemade, and it needs the sleeves & hem hemmed, but appears unworn otherwise (I think it is 50s). The other is a mystery fabric, probably acetate. I think it is homemade also, and I'm unsure of the era--probably 80s with a vintage look. [huh]

006-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

On the blue one, the inside collar is serged. Now serging was around in the 50s, but ladies at home didnt do it at home. So its either an altered later design, or a vintage mail order?

The second one looks more home made because of the turned under facing. Is it serged?

LD

leaette

A-List Customer
ok so this is from the *dreaded* 70's. but...i'm not ashamed to say i like the 70s. i was born in the 70s :)
but, i love to crochet. and crocheting was very popular in the 70s. so it's fun to see the history of sorts of crocheting and what was popular.
and i found this at our thrift store for a whopping $5. i had to buy this. i will eventually use the yarn but i think i may use this as a decoration in my craft room for the time being. it's amazing how much they wasted things in the 70s! this box is like 3 feet tall. it's huge!
i know the colors are ugly 70s but i make dog and kitty beds for animal shelters (they are called snuggles). and this yarn will be perfect for it.
afghan001.jpg

afghan002.jpg

afghan003.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here's a dress I just won for our St Valentines Day Massacre and Soiree!
a00b_1.jpg

a040_1.jpg

a026_1.jpg

And here's some 1933 Chicago World's Fair souvenirs, a tie clip and hair barrette! Will be great for our reenacting!
fairtietack2.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
Love the Cock!

I couldn't resist.
*snort!*
Too funny! Pink that skirt is amazing, I really love the "feathery" looking fabric they used for the body. What an awesome find!!

Betty, great trade!

Texasgirl, fab dress. I'm so jealous of all of you events!!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sarah these old cats are just the best! Thanks so much for posting the pics! I have an old Sears that I just love. I'll have to get some pics for y'all some time.
Nikki
SarahLouise said:
ChicagoMailOrderCo194142.jpg

ChicagoMailOrderCo_1.jpg

ChicagoMailOrderCo_3.jpg

ChicagoMailOrderCo_4.jpg

I also got 2 smaller catalogues from the same seller -

AldenChicagoCatalogues1947.jpg

aldenscatalogue3.jpg

aldenscatalogue2.jpg

leaette

A-List Customer
i have that same "today's fashions" catalog. i have a sears one too. can't get any better for researching.

i only wish i could pick up the phone and order those items in these catalogs. oh, if there was such a thing as a time machine!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
419cqhcucEL._AA354_.jpg

This dress and a red Cashmere Turtleneck by Isac Mizrahi for Target. The dress is mych cuter in the right size.
I also purchased a pair of black trouser jeans from Marshall's. I paid less than 35.00 for all three items.

I got both of these from ebay.
1c2d_2.JPG

8c65_1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally