Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

diptutod

New in Town
This is my second attempt at pincurls. I think I've got the right idea as far as making them is concerned (although I've been using setting lotion, since I didn't realize that it wasn't used in the '40s!) but I don't have the slightest clue what to do with my hair once I take it out of the curls. I can find instructions on how to make pincurls, but I can't find any instructions on how to brush them into some historically authentic shape. Here's what I used for inspiration:

And here's my somewhat pathetic re-creation:

hairdk5.jpg

Another thing that is proving to be a huge problem for me is the fact that my hair is unbelievably thick -- I have never met another person with hair as thick as mine -- and naturally wavy. When I take it out of rollers or pincurls, I've got a frothing, unruly mane, whereas all thetips and tricks I've read seem geared to getting thin, fine, or straight hair to be fuller. I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to be managing hair like mine.

If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be really great :) I am going to go back and read over all 22 pages of this thread tonight, so I apologize in advance if my questions have already been raised.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Hi diptutod,

Looks like you have a good start there :)

I also have thick, course hair and it takes very well to cold sets. I like to brush out the curls with a metal round brush to create more of a soft, wavy effect (rather than defined curls.)

Here is a link to a page for creating rolls, the style most people think of when picturing 1940s hair:

http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/rolls/rolls.html

You may want to try a slightly thicker setting lotion (and setting lotion *was* used in the 1940s) to help tame the curls. I would suggest using a dab of pomade, which will help weigh the hair down and smooth out the potential wild spots. I am betting that your hair holds curl well; if that's the case, it will relax if you set it once every 3-4 days, so that it looks great on the second and third days. Another trick to soften up a wild, frizzy set is to pop in hot rollers once you take out the pin curls/sponge rollers. This will help reshape any areas you are not happy with. In addition, using a shine spray with de-frizzing properties will help reduce some of the bulk you are not pleased about; I like Citre Shine for the days when I get an odd bulky patch that I want to relax.

Hope this helps!

maisie

Practically Family
diptutod said:
Another thing that is proving to be a huge problem for me is the fact that my hair is unbelievably thick -- I have never met another person with hair as thick as mine -- and naturally wavy. When I take it out of rollers or pincurls, I've got a frothing, unruly mane, whereas all thetips and tricks I've read seem geared to getting thin, fine, or straight hair to be fuller. I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to be managing hair like mine.

I also have very thick and wavy hair! And my sister hair goes really, really wavy when it dries naturally!:rage: Could even pass for a 40's style without the pain of having to sleep in rollers!!:rolleyes:

Carolie

so, umm... i tried to do SOMETHING with my pathetic excuse for hair on friday night. Saturday night I took out my pin curls and got this:

hair1.jpg

hair4.jpg

it's hard to tell, but I came out with Marilyn Monroe hair when I didn't even want it haha! I went out to dinner like that and my bf was just like: O__O the whole time.

Sunday morning I brushed it out and got this:

hair3.jpg

hair2.jpg

please excuse the tired expression and lack of make up. >_>

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
maisie said:
I also have very thick and wavy hair! And my sister hair goes really, really wavy when it dries naturally!:rage: Could even pass for a 40's style without the pain of having to sleep in rollers!!:rolleyes:

I have extremely, extremely thick hair as well. And, mine is coarse and naturally wavy to boot! I am in the process of growing mine out (it is about chin length now) so I'm sure I will be struggling with it soon enough.

Carolie

fortworthgal said:
I have extremely, extremely thick hair as well. And, mine is coarse and naturally wavy to boot! I am in the process of growing mine out (it is about chin length now) so I'm sure I will be struggling with it soon enough.

Thank you!! It took me a long time, but I'm happy with how it turned out in the end. :)

diptutod

New in Town
Thanks for all the suggestions and sympathy, ladies! It's always good to have more help. When I got home this evening, I tried taking a round brush to my hair and it was like instant Ava Gardner. I'm going to try pincurls again in a few days and see if my new wisdom can get me a better 'do. Practice makes perfect!

Carolie -- you look amazing! How long is your hair when it isn't curled, and how do you have it cut?

Camille

Familiar Face
index.php

Me in the middle. Took me hours of setting fluid and about 30 rolls to get that hair done. Can't beliave I used to do it almost every day before I cut it 20's-short. :O

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Camille, that picture is darling! Your hair looks great. Wish I could do mine like that. My hair is just above the shoulders but I have a lot of it, so it's hard to make it look tame like yours does. Nice job....

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Wow. Everyone's hair looks great. I can't wait to grow mine out enough to start trying some of these vintage styles!

Vanessa, I simply love your haircolor. I want that color of red! :cool:

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hi thought this would be inspiring for us all...I will show you mine when my curlers come out...hope it isn't a frizzy mess !! want it to look like this but with bangs... Fringe as us blighties call them!lol
4109415579728o67ff79jo6.jpg

Kim_B

Practically Family
Here is my simple 'do...really it's the only thing I can manage that looks nice enough to wear in public! lol

2700_Sharp.jpg

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
Here is my simple 'do...really it's the only thing I can manage that looks nice enough to wear in public! lol

2700_Sharp.jpg

I must say, I love your hair! I did from the first time I saw your picture. How long is your hair? How do you have it cut? What do you do to get that?

My hair is rather long and I just can't deal with it and toss it into pony tails on most days. But I'd be willing to cut it in a heartbeat for such a cute look as yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe