Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
pretty faythe said:
I read somewhere that people actually knowing how to sew on a machine has declined significantly. I can do basic sewing pretty well, just cant find patterns that fit me that I like (48 bust) vintage or otherwise. And I have no clue how to resize patterns. I saw how to do it on shorts on the show Sewing With Nancy, but eh.

I'm a 46 bust, so I know how hard it is. I did a step-by-step tutorial on how to grade up.
http://newvintage.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/how-to-grade-patterns/

Inky

One Too Many
I used to sew for others in the late 70's/early 80's and it wasn't too bad, but now it's out of the question. Even with sewing for myself I have to really factor in my own time vs. how much a garment will cost and if I can find on ready-made new or vintage. Like the vermont country store dress i posted her a few days ago - personally I wouldn't make it because I'd never have the time to do all that ribbon application, multiple buttons holes and worse yet - sewing on the buttons!

I run into the same issue with my knitting - people want something handknit, like socks or a lace shawl, but are not willing to pay fairly for my time and the yarn when they can buy socks for next to nothing. But nothing says wonderful like handknit socks!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I guess i'm just a crazy gal...but i'll pay for quality items. People think i'm crazy for how much money i spend on my clothing, but they are INVESTMENTS PEOPLE! I can't justify 10 dollars on a shirt if i know it's just gonna get thrown out! I never buy flash in the pan items because i can't justify wearing it for a week, then it's no longer 'cool'.

In the long run, when you spend the money on items, its cheaper because i'm not always replacing crappy stuff that frays or tears. I've had the same pair of jeans for 2 years and they're still super dark!

ps. Inky, my favorite scarf was handmade for me. and you're right, handmade things are the best.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But its not our fault. Im reading we all know the value of our work, but seem to be embarrassed to charge its worth knowing rejection will follow. So we dont bother. Where does that leave us, cause principle wont pay my rent. lol

LD

Shirin

A-List Customer
Here's the dress I was working on over 4th of July. I tried to finish it that morning but it just didn't happen. I'm pleased with the result. All I need to add to it is the belt and I think I want to add an under layer of red tulle for extra fullness. Sorry I'm not wearing make up and I put my hair up because its not done. Made from Vogue 2961.
P1050710.jpg
P1050728.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Shirin said:
Here's the dress I was working on over 4th of July. I tried to finish it that morning but it just didn't happen. I'm pleased with the result. All I need to add to it is the belt and I think I want to add an under layer of red tulle for extra fullness. Sorry I'm not wearing make up and I put my hair up because its not done. Made from Vogue 2961.
P1050710.jpg
P1050728.jpg

LOOKS GREAT!! Did you have any problems with that upper edge above the bust being too huge???

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Shirin that dress is lovely!

Then there's the problem of the double-edged sword. My friend has a fairly well known repro company and just had a fashion show recently. Someone didn't believe that her clothes are made in the USA (which they are) because they're so "cheap". He kept questioning it until she told him that she can afford to charge less because she lives in a place where the cost of living is less expensive. There's no way to win. Either you charge what it's worth and people think it's too much; or you don't charge enough and people think it's poorly made or made in a sweatshop.

I think for right now Etsy seems like the best route. At least you can set your price and someone will either buy it or they won't. My grandmother's mother was a well known seamstress in Italy many years ago and told her that she should never sew for people because they will think it's too much. And this was a good 70 years ago!

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic: a bit. My grandmother was a seamstress most of her life. During the depression she would look in store window displays and be able to go home and cut the pattern out of newspaper. To me that is a master. I do know how to sew but rarely do now.
Like vintage clothing a well made item by a good seamstress should be appreciated and the artist compensated. I see sewing as an art form.
Like cooking there are cooks and then there are cooks. Like quilters. There are quilters and then there are quilters.
I have a silly ? maybe. Is there a seamstress guild or society? If not there should be. Maybe one for seamstresses specializing in vintage using vintage material? I may be way behind on this. Sorry if so.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com/

Shirin

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments amy jeanne,kamikat & sickofitcindy that's nice of you to say.
Yes, the bust was huge! I added bust darts at the top, right in between the two bottom darts. It worked great and created a perfect cup for "the ladies". ;) also I don't have a problem with gaping or drooping....yay!

Shirin

A-List Customer
Sickofitcindy said:
There's no way to win. Either you charge what it's worth and people think it's too much; or you don't charge enough and people think it's poorly made or made in a sweatshop.
EXACTLY!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
:eek:fftopic: a bit. My grandmother was a seamstress most of her life. During the depression she would look in store window displays and be able to go home and cut the pattern out of newspaper. To me that is a master.[/url]

I knew someone like that in one of my apparel design/production classes; she had extensive experience in dressmaking, IIRC, but her natural ability to make a pattern and carry it through to completion was amazing.

mentha

Familiar Face
Shirin said:
P1050710.jpg
P1050728.jpg
I LOVE IT!!!! *must have pattern.... now!*

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
But its not our fault. Im reading we all know the value of our work, but seem to be embarrassed to charge its worth knowing rejection will follow. So we dont bother. Where does that leave us, cause principle wont pay my rent. lol

LD

:eek:fftopic: i agree totally!! i have had the same problem (as im sure others here have) when asked to make birthday/wedding cakes...most people expect it yo to charge less than shops, when infact time and equipment can be more expensive!

also when making for ourselves we can overlook slight flaws in out work, usually done though altering and "playing" with what we like but when selling/making for others feel open to scaving critisim[huh]

sickoficindy - i feel for youe friend, and your right.. i have found/learnt that if something is too cheap they wonder whats wrong with it and wont buy either!:eusa_doh:

SHIRIN- love the fabric and dress...you look great! xx

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm still relatively new to sewing, but that's good that more are getting into it and enthused by it, right?? But even though I'm so new, I'm sitting here reading all your comments and nodding my head going "Uh huh!"

1. It's AWESOME knowing I can make a dress BETTER than SS and CHEAPER, too. I've bought dresses from them before and they are disgusting, IMO. I had one and the zipper wasn't even sewn in all the way. And don't get me started on the fabric...

2. I thought about sewing to sell, but then I realised that I do like to take shortcuts. I'll admit -- my hems aren't the straightest, I AVOID blind hemming by hand whenever possible, and my zippers are still a bit wonky. This is stuff most people won't even notice on the outside, but if I charged someone the actual "worth" of something and it had a wonkyish zipper I would feel like I ripped them off.

3. People ask me all the time "Why don't you make your own shop?" Well, for all the reasons you guys have stated.

4. Even though, unfortunately, a lot of the fabric I buy is made or "printed" in China, I'm still happy that the actual CONSTRUCTION of the dress is made in the USA by my own hand and not some 6 year old. And it will last me and never go out of style because no one wears what I do and, in essence, it's been out of style for 70 years now lol

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Amy Jeanne said:
4. Even though, unfortunately, a lot of the fabric I buy is made or "printed" in China, I'm still happy that the actual CONSTRUCTION of the dress is made in the USA by my own hand and not some 6 year old. And it will last me and never go out of style because no one wears what I do and, in essence, it's been out of style for 70 years now lol

I think about this all the time, too. We can't get away from imports and a lot of time we can't control the conditions where they come from- they're just ingrained in our society, but we can control what we do with it on our end. I admit to buying randomly a new imported shirt here or there, but I take much more pride in my own work knowing it was made here, by me, and in an industry where other women were making a living in this country for centuries- many times in unlivable conditions, but we can control our own work environment when me make it ourselves and for that I am thankful.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
tempestbella42 said:
:
also when making for ourselves we can overlook slight flaws in out work, usually done though altering and "playing" with what we like but when selling/making for others feel open to scaving critisim[huh]

COMPLETELY! The mental energy it takes to create for a client far exceeds creating for yourself, because you are always buffering in your mind, "What will they pick at? What will they pick at?" And you try to cut that off before your work is sent back to you.

That was why with freelance, I initiated a 2 revision policy when doing illustrations, once you signed off on the sketch, you had one more revision to make before I did the final or it was as it was. Saved me TONS on art directors 'changing their mind' at the last minute, and time/money as well.

And to address the imports thing. I dont think all imports are the problem, just knowing where they are from. Most of the time, if I cant find the country of origin, I skip the fabric. I do that with a lot of stuff, not just fabric. Sure it makes things more difficult for me, but hey, life without challenges and all ;)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe