Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Yep, the 80's were all about the low gorge.

I'll never understand why they were designed that way. Was it a new approach? Was it to look modern or different? The only time I saw a jacket with a low gorge made before the 1980's was in the 1934 Laurel and Hardy film "The Live Ghost" in which Oliver Hardy is wearing a jacket with a low gorge.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GoldenEraFan said:
I'll never understand why they were designed that way. ... Was it to look modern or different?

Yes ... though some 'fashion forward' suit jackets and sportcoats from the early to mid-1950s were also VERY low gorge.

Blame designers Willi Smith (anyone here remember "Williwear"?) and Georgio Armani. They're the main culprits behind the '80s low gorge.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes ... though some 'fashion forward' suit jackets and sportcoats from the early to mid-1950s were also VERY low gorge.

Blame designers Willi Smith (anyone here remember "Williwear"?) and Georgio Armani. They're the main culprits behind the '80s low gorge.

I don't like the low gorge look, and '80s suits in general for that matter. I can't explain it but when I see '80s suits in movies or TV shows I think they look terrible. I heard the quality of suits went down around the mid-1970's.

Feraud

Bartender
Looking forward to wearing this when the weather gets cool.
DSC07256.jpg

DSC07253.jpg

with a vest too..
DSC07247.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
This jacket and vest is probably younger than that. If I remember correctly the only tag in the jacket is from a costumer. Considering I purchased it from the now closed Odd's in NYC, I suspect it was made for some B'way production.

Feraud

Bartender
[huh] I am open to suggestions! lol
Actually I have wool and linen pants in shades of brown and beige that should go with it.

Edit-
I came across this image in Marc's 30s images thread. The guy on the left has a color scheme I will aim for.
Instead of the saddle shoes I will try brown suede wingtips.
1930sEsquire073.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Great jacket!!

I'd match it with flannels, tweeds and cords in various shades of brown, blue, gray and green. Wear it over to Paul Stuart in the next month or so and you'll get some ideas. Oh, and Winter white flannel might look good too.

DSC07256.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BellyTank said:
Nice to have a contrast when you can't match.
Yep, it will never be a suit again. In this instance when choosing from the browns I would go either a few shades lighter or darker.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

I noticed another hint for identifying '80s jackets are low lapels. That's what I meant to say on my previous comment. I've only seen a jacket with low lapels worn before the 1980's by Oliver Hardy in "The Live Ghost" made in 1934. I also noticed double breasted suits with notch lapels were a style in the '80s.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
GoldenEraFan said:
I noticed another hint for identifying '80s jackets are low lapels.
Just to be clear, the gorge is the point where the lapel meets the collar.

untitled-11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth