Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sex in media boosts teen promiscuity-study

Baron Kurtz said:
I've been trying to find the actual research paper by Todd Page. Anyone have it? If so, can we arrange for you to email it to me? As i've said before: If his findings are accurate, this is incredibly interesting. Funny i've never heard of it before. You'd think a big journal would run a story on it ... The fact that he wasn't a doctor when he published this stuff is irrelevant. Hell, the vast majority of scientific and medical research is carried out by people who are not doctors. I'd like to see the experimental design etc. (assuming there were experiments). I don't trust internet condensations which contain no references so that one can check what they say.

Firstly the website above states that the pores in latex condoms are 5 microns wide. This is absurd, and simply false. I hope Dr. Page has not been finding his info on the internet - the British government had such difficulties, as you all know. Here is a discussion of the topic with references at the bottom. "Scanning electron microscopy of latex condoms reveals pits and imperfections but no pores that penetrate the entire membrane." They find that latex condoms are not perfect (no serious person claims they are) but that "Thus, even with pinhole leakage in some devices, the authors estimated that condom use would decrease exposure to HIV 10,000-fold." Correct use of condoms and a little care will almost certainly prevent pregnancy and STDs (that care being, if someone has a galloping sore and you have a galloping sore, don't bring them into contact). Indeed, incorrect use of condoms (through lack of education) is one of the leading causes of condom failure.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:j0x9pbUsjM8J:www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/booksReports/latexcondom/pregandstdprev.htm+pore+dimensions+latex+condoms&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

bk

I will get my copy when I go home and try to scan it. It is quite long but makes sense to me.
What part of the protection against HPV are you disputing? That condoms don't prevent it or something else?

Regards,

J

Baron Kurtz said:
I'm contending that HPV cannot go through the condom. And therefore one could just as easily get HPV from kissing one's mother - if both had lesions which came into contact, and the mother was HPV infected - as having sex (not necessarily with one's mother ;) )

bk

Ok, I see where you are going--not with the mother thing though----ewwww! :eek:
I'll see what I can scare up on the issue.

Regards,

J

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Six out of Ten College Students concerned about the moral direction of the country

"College students are becoming more religious, and it's affecting their political views, according to a new Harvard University survey of this potentially influential voting bloc. "Religious centrists" rule, according to the university.
A full 70 percent say religion plays an important part in their lives, with a quarter saying their spirituality has increased at college. Six out of 10 say they are concerned about the moral direction of the country, according to the poll of 1,200 students from across the country, conducted March 13 to 27 and released Tuesday."

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20060413-122855-9675r.htm

---

My, how the tide is slowly turning.

L_H

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The pendulum swings back and forth. Right now it's swinging back ... or swinging forth, depending on your point-of-view.

What exactly did the survey mean by "the moral direction of the country"? To different people, it means different things. For plenty of folks in college, the U.S.'s movement into Iraq was not in keeping with their own morals. For them, the "moral direction of the country" is being mislead by its own administration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe