Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sex in media boosts teen promiscuity-study

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lena_Horne said:
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Sexually charged music, magazines, TV and movies push youngsters into intercourse at an earlier age ...

Well, there's at least one billboard that's pushing the other way.

billboard.jpg

jamespowers said:
Are you saying that 5% of the youth population are inherently stupid? :p

Yes (but i'd change inherently to willfully). And increase that to 75% of the general population, not just teenagers. Then you're getting close.

jamespowers said:
They still manage to get STDs that are not stopped by "the pill" or by the pores in prophylactics.

Regards to all,

J

Which STDs are able to get through condoms? That's very interesting if accurate. Sounds like propaganda - like you can catch aids from toilet seats - but as i say, interesting if accurate.

bk

mysterygal said:
There are a couple of std's that you can get even with a condom...herpes and crabs...who know what else is out there :eek:

How does it work? Why doesn't the condom stop the herpes simplex virus, for example? When lab tests have shown that latex condoms form an impenetrable (pun intended) barrier to movement of HIV. of course herpes can be caught in other ways - kissing for example. Cold sores being caused by herpes simplex virus. I don't know anyone who doesn't have herpes (since everyone i know has at one time had a cold sore).

Crabs are in a different category because they're lice. They're alive. You catch them just like head lice. They can be caught from mattresses and the like.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
Yes (but i'd change inherently to willfully). And increase that to 75% of the general population, not just teenagers. Then you're getting close.

I am glad you think so highly of your fellow man. :rolleyes: Perhaps that explains a lot. :eusa_doh:

Baron Kurtz said:
Which STDs are able to get through condoms? That's very interesting if accurate. Sounds like propaganda - like you can catch aids from toilet seats - but as i say, interesting if accurate.

bk

I do not want to ruin anyone's "playboy lifestyle" or gross a few people out but you asked.
STVs or Sexually transmitted viruses are a class of diseases that can defeat a condom because they are extremely small. Condoms do not protect against all sexually transmitted diseases, including human papillomavirus. I am not going to describe what that is due to the gross factor but you really do not want to get it. Quite simply here are the facts:
HPV - Human Papilloma Virus
---Prevalent among 38-46 percent of adolescent and young adult females.
---They have a 50 percent chance of being infected in one sexual encounter.
---Clearly linked to the development of cervical cancer, causing it 90 percent of the time. More women, 7,000, die of cervical cancer each year than from AIDS.
---Incurable; almost half of the babies born to HPV infected mothers become infected.
---Studies indicate condoms not only do not protect against the virus but may increase chances of infection.
Then you have the diseases that are spread by skin to skin contact that defeat condoms every time because the truth is that there is a lot of skin not covered. These are characterized by a "discharge." I think I've had enough of explaining now. It is making me sick just writing about it. :( :eek:
I am surprised that they are not "teaching" about this in school. No, wait, I am not. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

mysterygal said:
There are a couple of std's that you can get even with a condom......who know what else is out there :eek:
There is one, I don't know the name but they were talking about it on the radio. The health guy said it (what ever it is) can actually pass thru the wall of a condom. :eusa_doh:

So that is industrial strength STD.

Baron Kurtz said:
How does it work? Why doesn't the condom stop the herpes simplex virus, for example? When lab tests have shown that latex condoms form an impenetrable (pun intended) barrier to movement of HIV. of course herpes can be caught in other ways - kissing for example. Cold sores being caused by herpes simplex virus. I don't know anyone who doesn't have herpes (since everyone i know has at one time had a cold sore).

The condom doesn't work due to skin to skin contact and that whole discharge thing. Nausea coming back. Ewww. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Latex condoms?

Hadn't heard of human papilloma virus. But the CDC says this. Note the stuff i've bolded:

"HPV infection can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. While the effect of condoms in preventing HPV infection is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical cancer, an HPV-associated disease.

Where are you getting your information James?

bk

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Wait a darn second.......doesn't he know that engineers don't have sex......ever!
lol well, I guess he's already got the right mind set!
Baron, you've forgotten about getting herpes through oral sex as well. And I guess, I"m one of the few then that have never gotten a cold sore [huh]
I never heard of HPV until my third child. It's mandatory now to get checked for it before delivering.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I thought it was protection in general we were talking about. Don't think teenagers don't go there as well.
Even with all the yuck factor, it's definetely not deterring very many people from just saying no to sex

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Ah but your reference was to sex with a condom. Why have a condom if oral sex is the sexual contact we're talking about?

Should people be so scared of sex that they never indulge? Perhaps this kind of fear is what leads to the "yuk-factor" when discussing sex.

bk

I hope you aren't serious... You should always use a condom or a dental dam when engaging in oral sex as the Herpes viruses both A and B can be exchanged in either direction. But then that also holds true for Yeast infections (ick!). If a person is exhibiting signs of herpes type A with a cold sore on the mouth, etc. and even when a cold sore isn't present, the virus can be spread to the genitals and vice versa. Gives new meaning to the phrase "it's a two way street."

L_H

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Dental Dam, eh? That sounds appealing (equally appalling).

So there's this scene in the Naked Gun where Priscilla Presley and Leslie Nielsen are getting ready to have sex. They put on these giant all body condoms ...

bk
lol was thinking the same thing.....looks like that's what its coming to...seems like it would take all the fun and spontaneity out of it...with all of this safety gear.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I am glad you think so highly of your fellow man. :rolleyes: Perhaps that explains a lot. :eusa_doh:

I do not want to ruin anyone's "playboy lifestyle" or gross a few people out but you asked.
STVs or Sexually transmitted viruses are a class of diseases that can defeat a condom because they are extremely small. Condoms do not protect against all sexually transmitted diseases, including human papillomavirus. I am not going to describe what that is due to the gross factor but you really do not want to get it. Quite simply here are the facts:
HPV - Human Papilloma Virus
---Prevalent among 38-46 percent of adolescent and young adult females.
---They have a 50 percent chance of being infected in one sexual encounter.
---Clearly linked to the development of cervical cancer, causing it 90 percent of the time. More women, 7,000, die of cervical cancer each year than from AIDS.
---Incurable; almost half of the babies born to HPV infected mothers become infected.
---Studies indicate condoms not only do not protect against the virus but may increase chances of infection.
Then you have the diseases that are spread by skin to skin contact that defeat condoms every time because the truth is that there is a lot of skin not covered. These are characterized by a "discharge." I think I've had enough of explaining now. It is making me sick just writing about it. :( :eek:
I am surprised that they are not "teaching" about this in school. No, wait, I am not. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

No, you're incorrect, I know about HPV, I learned of it in school and on my own. HPV is virtually omnipresent, it's one of of those pathogens that nearly everyone has in one strain or another. And any strain could possibly mutate into a harmful one. Everything has risks. I don't want to live a life in a bubble without risks, and while it's up to everyone else themselves, I don't think it's particuarly healthy eiather. Kissing can transmit HPV. So could sharing a glass that hasn't been washed well enough. It's up to individual people to make up their own minds, and they have a right to the facts. They don't need to be talked down to by patronizing people with their own agenda.

Do I have to mention that I myself cannot picture sex without some sort of other intimacy to go with it? I just don't think that intimacy has to be signed into the law and fuse finances. Marriage won't cure HPV eiather, people with it can get married and have kids with it, who can get married to uninfected people, give it to them, and have other kids with it. Unless people with HPV should be sterilized. That'll do it. For the children!

Baron Kurtz said:
Latex condoms?

Hadn't heard of human papilloma virus. But the CDC says this. Note the stuff i've bolded:

"HPV infection can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. While the effect of condoms in preventing HPV infection is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical cancer, an HPV-associated disease.

Where are you getting your information James?

bk

The information I obtained was from Dr. Todd Page, South Bend Memorial Hospital from his research document called: "Condom Promotion: A Dangerous Solution to the STD Epidemic."
I don't have it here with me so I can't really quote it exactly but here is what I remember from a part that we are hitting here:
Herpes Simplex Virus
Herpes is common but often undiagnosed; babies born to infected mothers have a 40-50 percent chance of infection. Those children have a 60 percent chance of dying, or if they survive, a 50 percent chance of permanent brain damage.
Studies show condoms may protect against herpes only if the lesions are in the protected area. The disease may be transmitted by any skin-to-skin contact.
This is what is meant by the condom being useless against this particular STD---note this is not a virus as HPV is.
Now to the CDC article, who wrote it Donna Shalala or Joselyn (go ahead and use defective condoms in Arkanasas) Elders? The quote you used sounds schizophrenic. They don't prevent it, yet they do prevent it but maybe they don't prevent it, it is unknown. Which is it? :p
Cervical cancer is not strictly tied to HPV so it is possible that these women studied just happened to not have that particular disease or they just weren't exposed to it. As long as they admit that: "HPV infection can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered," I have no problem with what they are saying. It is just not clear with the second sentence.
Might I also commend you for asking for the source of my material? That is what I want to see. :cheers1: We just cannot accept what is put before us. Ask, look and find. It just might be your life on the line.
Yes, and there is that yuck factor. Pardon me while I go gargle with Scope. :D :p Yuck!

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe