Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvedge Jeans - looking for suggestions

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How bad is the bleeding of the indigo? I am not that focused on jeans that I would risk my other stuff to get stained.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
With my Freddies jeans I noticed the bleeding only once, when I got sweaty and wore white underpants. After washing them everything was okay.

I second Edward's recommendation of Freddies of Pinewood. They come in a wide 40s style and in a 50s style, both with high waist. Regular price is GBP75.00 which is in itself a bargain, considering the heavy quality denim. I am not aware of any selvedge denims that are more competitively priced. I got mine on sale for GBP45.00. Currently they have some on sale (most sizes are gone, though), one for GBP45.00 and the other style for GBP35.00. Can't be beat.

bond

Great jeans D guy, can you tell more about them. Of course living in Japan is a plus for you sourcing them!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I am lucky I have to admit. Sugar Cane has overseas agents, I`m not sure about Edwin. Japan Blue has a Facebook page, worth searching for. The Burgus are the top of them all, the finest I have, as they were hand loomed. Long live selvage!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Bleeding depends on the brand, wash, etc.. My Ironhearts bled like a stuck pig. Got blue on everything.

I usually go for a one wash now to decrease the denim bleeding.

Scott, go to Selfedge. They may not have what you are looking for, but they have a big selection, knowledgable, and you'll be able to try on the jeans to see what you like.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
How bad is the bleeding of the indigo? I am not that focused on jeans that I would risk my other stuff to get stained.

Flooey, you just need to be a little careful – i.e. don't wear a white gab shirt and 'dry' (e.g. rigid or unwashed) jeans in a thunderstorm! Folks coped with dye transfer from denim, which only ever came unwashed until the 70s, for many decades – as with many excellent pieces of clothing, yes, it involves a little more care than your average modern garment, but as I know you're a dapper gent, with an extensive vintage wardrobe, it's nothing that you won't be able to handle! :D

I second Edward's recommendation of Freddies of Pinewood. They come in a wide 40s style and in a 50s style, both with high waist. Regular price is GBP75.00 which is in itself a bargain, considering the heavy quality denim. I am not aware of any selvedge denims that are more competitively priced. I got mine on sale for GBP45.00. Currently they have some on sale (most sizes are gone, though), one for GBP45.00 and the other style for GBP35.00. Can't be beat.

The Freddies 40s style jeans also get my vote, especially as I too got them at sale price – very nice denim, a generous high-waisted cut and suspender buttons... the high waist looks really 'period' with tucked-in tees, sweats/jumpers, shirts and trim jackets like the A-2, but wearing 'em with a longer garment/jacket can look ungainly, owing to the wide cut... if you're 6' 4" like me, the longer length means that you can have really deep cuffs, too!

Edward

Bartender
With my Freddies jeans I noticed the bleeding only once, when I got sweaty and wore white underpants. After washing them everything was okay.

Exactly my experience too. Best jeans I've ever owned, and in fact I think they may have just edged out the Prison Blues of which I have long been fond. PB are very nice, very hard wearing, but not selvedge.

I've also seen Geronimo well recommended for their 50s cut selvedge, but never tried a pair myself.

https://www.ozoneclothing.co.uk/denims/1189-geronimo-denim-jeans.html

Got a pair of these, somewhere - pretty sure they're selvedge, from memory:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

Neater in the leg than I prefer, though, and unfortunately a low-ish waist. Wouldn't buy again for that reason. Quality grand, though.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
So, I finally decided to have a look at some of these things that everyone seems to love. What do you guys wear/recommend? There's no shortage of brands and styles, and I don't think I'll be dropping $300-$500 on a pair. Any good, reasonably priced denim that has a more traditional cut? Nothing low and skinny for me. But I'd love to see what you guys have regardless. Even in the khaki or olive colors. Open to somethin' new whilst we wait for jacket weather again :)
Going back to the original question, I'd really recommend you pop into Self Edge in LA and talk to the guys there, try on some jeans, and see what works for you. They're very knowledgeable and helpful, and it's not the snooty hipster atmosphere I expected at all. I wear Japanese market Ricksons that don't get imported here, but if I didn't, I'd buy from Self Edge. Some of these jeans are achingly correct reproductions of old styles that went extinct *for a reason.* So I'd really recommend you try on a few different varieties to see what works for you.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Going back to the original question, I'd really recommend you pop into Self Edge in LA and talk to the guys there, try on some jeans, and see what works for you. They're very knowledgeable and helpful, and it's not the snooty hipster atmosphere I expected at all. I wear Japanese market Ricksons that don't get imported here, but if I didn't, I'd buy from Self Edge. Some of these jeans are achingly correct reproductions of old styles that went extinct *for a reason.* So I'd really recommend you try on a few different varieties to see what works for you.
Excellent Advice !
& check out Mr Freedom there very close by Self-Edge
Closest to Pasadena Also Check out Rose Bowl Flea Mkt for the real thing.
yea there pricy but you dont pay & wait for shipping from far away
And best of all you can try em on & see for your self. Important for the 1st. time

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I suppose if you'd ask most if a grand is worth the cost of our aeros they would say "its supposed to keep you warm right, my $65 wind breaker from the Wally Mart does that fine." then craftsmanship exotic materials and style must be explanined. Selvedge is not that much differet. Sure you can by denim thats paper thin, has some machined fadding, but raw selvedged denim molds to your body when you wear 'em hard, it ages and fades like nothing else, leg twists and honey combing, are just a few of the things that set the appart. Dip your toes in Scott, you won't regret it!
Being a northern California boy I've worn 501's my whole life. Somehow the LVC thing passed me by untill here recently. You do pay a premium for vintage inspired clothing but in my opinion LVC 44's and those aeros A2's look sharp! I started out on eBay, I've found LVC items in the $100 range. Start there bu I do not work in my expensive LVC's but they are tough like our dads and Grandads used to wear

My LVC 47's

220da1af.jpg

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer
These are Lee 101 Z by McCoy's:

Hope, you don't mind the link to another forum:

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2824.0

Kind regards,

Johannes

BTW:

The Lee 101 Z by McCoy's are still available - new and completely unused. Please send me a PM with your price suggestion, if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Johannes

P.S.:

Sizing (before first wash):

Waist: 33.9" (the one I am wearing had 33.2" after its first rinse)
Front Rise: 11.75"
Back Rise: 15.2"
Knee: 9.25"
Hem: 8.5"
Inseam Leg: 35.5"

Shrinkage after first wash:

Waist: 0.3" - 0.4"
Length: 0.5"

Last edited:

bond

Still looking for some selvedge jeans in a lighter weight denim with a longer rise of at least 11" and having no luck.
Any suggestions?
I can't seem to find a brand that offers a zipper fly, and long rise,
For a decent price new or used.
Is the lee 101z the closest to what I am searching for?
The Japanese brands are a bit out of my price range .

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Still looking for some selvedge jeans in a lighter weight denim with a longer rise of at least 11" and having no luck.
Any suggestions?
I can't seem to find a brand that offers a zipper fly, and long rise,
For a decent price new or used.
Is the lee 101z the closest to what I am searching for?
The Japanese brands are a bit out of my price range .

You should check out Context Clothing in Madison, although I'm not sure how close Milwaukee is to Madison. They have a great selection of selvedge denim and are very helpful.

D

Deleted member 16736

1947 Levi's Shrinkage

Does anyone own a pair of these jeans? How much did they shrink? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe