Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott shinki fit

mr.hatlover

New in Town
That doesn’t seem overly long at all. What’s the front drop measure? View attachment 648510
If measured this way (closed) how far down do the front panels extend past the hem? I have no skin in the game but I am curious b/c these numbers aren’t adding up to the elongated (looking) fit of the jacket (unless there is a massive drop).

Including the collar is utterly worthless as that includes height and length. Collar goes up, body goes down.
The front is basically even with back except at the zipper where it extends just barely about 1/8-1/4 of an inch.

I think the fact that its draping over my lack of pecs is making the jacket appear longer. I need to hit the gym

I've found the biggest contributor to that seems to be how the coat is shaped. In this case it's probably that the half belt area isn't cinched in a bit.
I don’t know how much that would help. I’m reminded of the Thurston bros “stock” Aero 30’s HB with. 25.5” back and 3” front drop. Results in a stretched appearance inspite of the cinched HB:
IMG_9560.jpeg

This Schott gives me the same tunic top feeling, in a less forgiving design. I hated the length of this jacket. Felt like a painters smock and mutilated what should’ve been a proper high and tight half belt. South of the half belt the jacket just bulges and looks ridiculous IMO.

mr.hatlover

New in Town
I don’t know how much that would help. I’m reminded of the Thurston bros “stock” Aero 30’s HB with. 25.5” back and 3” front drop. Results in a stretched appearance inspite of the cinched HB:
View attachment 648513
This Schott gives me the same tunic top feeling, in a less forgiving design. I hated the length of this jacket. Felt like a painters smock and mutilated what should’ve been a proper high and tight half belt. South of the half belt the jacket just bulges and looks ridiculous IMO.
For me it is the opposite though it looks quite tapered near the bottom and wide up top. Also there is almost no drop, at most an eight of an inch.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 26

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 648513

Maybe what I'm thinking is that the zip should end higher up like on a Hercules; maybe using the two-way would have the same effect.

For me it is the opposite though it looks quite tapered near the bottom and wide up top. Also there is almost no drop, at most an eight of an inch.
Can I ask your height/weight? To me your jacket doesn’t look nearly as stretched out of proportion as my Aero did. I’m 5’11 and was close to 215 at that time. It’s two different jackets and the Aero had a full 3” drop but I find this fascinating and a good comparison to how similar numbers can yield different fits.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m reminded of the Thurston bros “stock” Aero 30’s HB with. 25.5” back and 3” front drop. Results in a stretched appearance inspite of the cinched HB:

Ah also this part. Thurston lengthening + Aero's narrower 30s block probably makes a difference. Aero already specs assuming the wearer is 5'11, so Thurston's added length probably pushed it over the edge.

Even an inch makes a difference; it's why some tailors will make a double-breasted suit 1" shorter than single breasted on the same customer, because of the size of the overlap. (Others don't, but either 'side' would agree an inch of length makes a big difference on a jacket's look.)

mr.hatlover

New in Town
Can I ask your height/weight? To me your jacket doesn’t look nearly as stretched out of proportion as my Aero did. I’m 5’11 and was close to 215 at that time. It’s two different jackets and the Aero had a full 3” drop but I find this fascinating and a good comparison to how similar numbers can yield different fits.
Roughly 5’9 170

mr.hatlover

New in Town
So it could be that the jacket is better suited for taller fellas. Like I said earlier I think with the sleeves made shorter you can wear this without issue. But it’s an awfully expensive piece to alter out of necessity.
1800 including tax. But the sleeves being long add a lot of bulk on the jacket making it also seem bigger. Id wanr the half belt to ait tighter too. Is it possible to add adjusters somehow?

With age and creasing it may come to fit me better. I also dont know if my next shiki jacket will have this quality of leather.

For now i have it listed for sale but still thinking about it. The sleeves are an 85 dollar repair by schott.

KBlake

One Too Many
View attachment 648513
Could it be narrow shoulders contributing to the tunic shape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley