Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roelofs Hats?

Levallois

Practically Family
I won a hat made by Henry H. Roelofs Hat Company, Philadelphia. I have found out that either Henry or his father was John B. Stetson's son-in-law. The Roelofs started making hats in the 19th century around the same time as Stetson and they had a factory/store at Brown and 12th Street in Philly. They also lived next to John B. in the burbs of Philly near Bryn Mawr. Stetson may have bought an interest in the company around 1900. Roelofs was apparently bought by Guyer and became Guyer-Roelofs Co. in the 1914-1917 range. There is no info on the name "Roelofs Hats" after this time. Does anyone else know anything else about this company? There is no info. about Roelofs in the FL hat brands data base that I can find.

I'll post photos of the hat later. Thanks!

John

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1912 ad

Not trademarked apparently.
4197644297_c1a7af6247_o.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
There is a lot of information on Google about the company. You have won a hat that is pre 1916. I DEFINATELY want to see a picture of the hat . If it is a soft hat(not a top hat or boater) then you probably have one of a handful of hats from this factory still in existance.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
very intrigued

as someone interested in history- i found this interesting.

the flyer posted here shows brown and olive streets...but all i can find is brown and 12th on google maps. not sure where olive was. any locals know?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
useless info

Houses of:
John Batterson Stetson Residency
"Idro," Old York Road, Ashbourrne
""Idro," from the Russian, meaning cool and pleasant, the grand palatial home of John B. Stetson, America's foremost hat manufacturer, is on one of the most elevated and charming sites on this noble old highway, near Cheltenham Road. The 15 acres of ground are diversified with hill, dale and forest."
4198550746_dd68a53cb6_o.jpg

Henry Hoffman Roelofs Residence
"Rhylon," Old York Road, Ashbourne
"On one of the prettiest spots along the grand and famous Old York Road stands the towered and gabled stone residence of Henry H. Roelofs, of the widely famous hat manufacturing firm of Henry H. Roelofs & Co., especially noticeable for its beautiful lawns and rhododendrons."

4198550662_31842a9640_o.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
Thank you all for the replies. The info. that you found on the internet was pretty much what I found. rlk put the photos that went with the auction up in one of his responses above. I obviously don't have the hat yet. I can't believe this hat would be that old? Before 1916?? The seller called it as from "the 1950s." However, it is weird that all info. about Roelofs ends around WWI? I just liked the color and look of it and thought that I paid too much (as usual). A couple photos from the auction here and more when it arrives:

Roelofs2.jpg

Roelofs3.jpg

Roelofs5.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
besdor said:
the hat isnt pre WW! but from the 1930's. Still , a very nice example of a difficult to find brand.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I am thrilled to death that it is a 1930s era hat but I would be interested to know what characteristics make this a 1930s hat? Yes, it was a wonderful find (wallow away, CRH), but my good fortune had nothing to do with knowledge or skill. I'd like to change that, if I can.

Also, all the ads that I've seen for Roelofs are pre-1920. What happened to their marketing for the next 20 years?

Thanks!

John

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:

My, my - I concur with CRH: that's a real gem! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tall crowns and rather narrow brims are typical characteristics of 30's style hats, as are (to my understanding) unreeded sweats. It would be interesting to see a photo of yours.

Levallois

Practically Family
Thanks Mario. It looks like an unreeded sweat in this shot, doesn't it? I guess it's difficult to see. We'll know in about a week. I hate waiting for ebay treasures to be shipped to me!

Roelofs6.jpg

rlk - thanks for the ad! But, again, it's pre-WWI - 1911 in this case. Where are the Roelofs ads from the 1920s and 1930s?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Looks definitely unreeded to me, which would underline the late 30's/early 40's dating.

And yes: waiting for ebay treasures can wreck my nerves. At the moment I'm waiting for a Stetson Sovereign to arrive. Almost two weeks now... :(

rlk

I'll Lock Up

$375,000 ON HIS BIRTHDAY.; Great-Grandson of John B. Stetson Inherits...
$3.95 - New York Times - Oct 12, 1924
Helz to a fortuno on his -first bt, Henry H. Roelofs, great grandson of John B. Stetson, hat manufacturer, went through His accustomed busy day in hid real ...

Levallois

Practically Family
Henry H. Roelofs - the first one - died in 1916 in South America. Guyer bought or took over Roelofs before this possibly about 1914. I have no idea where the one year old grandson named after his grandfather fits in to this picture in 1924? Obvously, a son of Henry had a son - was this son still in the hat business? Was there a Roelofs line called "Royal" in the Guyer-Roelofs Company? Wouldn't you think that the Guyer name would appear on the hat somewhere after 1914-1916? Where does Stetson fit in, business wise? It's tragic how much information is lost to history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe