Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return to "normal" tv.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
We have one local hotly contested race... I now hate both the candidates. Their dumb campaigns call our house constantly, and when they ask how I will vote, I tell them that I think they are both ********.

I do not kid.

This is why I thank my lucky stars for caller ID. 99.9% of the calls we get lately are robocalls. If I don't recognize the phone number, I don't pick up, period.

We have a hotly contested senate seat here and all of the commercials on TV have been about this. I haven't seen a presidential ad for either side yet, it's been all about the senate seat.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think I read the other day, that these "bulk" mailings are propping up the post office for now.
While they are not close friends, I do have associates at the local post office, and it's nice to see someone is still giving them something to do.
Sheeplady, think of it this way. Political ads and even voting material will either flood your mailbox or your inbox..pick one. :)

That is true- better the mailbox than the inbox.

I just wish they wouldn't use the heavy glossy stock. I need kindling for the woodstove.

lol

This is why I thank my lucky stars for caller ID. 99.9% of the calls we get lately are robocalls. If I don't recognize the phone number, I don't pick up, period.

We have a hotly contested senate seat here and all of the commercials on TV have been about this. I haven't seen a presidential ad for either side yet, it's been all about the senate seat.

We don't have caller ID. I have an excuse as to why I cannot get to the phone and I just let the answering machine get it. Anybody important calls me on the cell phone, and damned if I am going to get up for a robo call. After I told one campaign their candidate was an ******* they stopped calling here. I told my husband if he ever gets a call from their campaign, he's supposed to say "My wife thinks your candidate is such an *******, she'd divorce me if I voted for your candidate..." but they haven't called. (He feels the same way, but we thought the wife thing was funny.)

Turned on the TV at noon for the local news- every single commercial spot was political, most by PACs. Despite the fact that we are not a swing state (NY is always blue as far as the electoral college); I saw at least 6 or so presidential PAC spots in that half an hour, although most were for our representative race and a few for the senate seat and family court judge. I told my husband that the PACs must not have been able to buy any more commercial spots (because they bought all those that exist) in the swing states, so they had to start buying here to spend down all their extra cash.

Our absentee ballots are done and sent, so I feel kind of over this election in a major way.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I was just trying to watch the evening news. One of the two presidential candidates ran the same three ads at every break...over and over and over. I finally turned off the TV.

One ad I've seen makes me want to pull out my hair (what's left of it), and I'm not even sure who is running it. It shows a well-dressed, middle-aged woman sitting in a well-furnished home holding a large screen I-pad or something like an I-pad. She's watching a streaming vid of some political commentary, so she's clearly got internet access via her new I-pad. She looks up from her I-pad and sadly asks what the government is going to do for her and her family.

AF

CharleneC

Familiar Face
It is important for TV ads to get back to normal as soon as possible. All the political ads are so disruptive. The constant reminder that politicians want your vote really puts into perspective how easy life is for some others. Look at Syria for example. On the news it said that 200 people died there today. They have it so easy compared to a voter.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was just trying to watch the evening news. One of the two presidential candidates ran the same three ads at every break...over and over and over. I finally turned off the TV.

One ad I've seen makes me want to pull out my hair (what's left of it), and I'm not even sure who is running it. It shows a well-dressed, middle-aged woman sitting in a well-furnished home holding a large screen I-pad or something like an I-pad. She's watching a streaming vid of some political commentary, so she's clearly got internet access via her new I-pad. She looks up from her I-pad and sadly asks what the government is going to do for her and her family.

AF

What does that ad even mean???

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
What does that ad even mean???

I think I know what message is being communicated by the ad, but I don't want to derail this thread by saying what I think that message is. Suffice it to say, the woman is depicted as being disillusioned that recent government spending has not benefited families like hers.

AF

May I please state again...even though the content of the ad made me want to tear my hair and rend my clothing...it was the constant repetition of the ad that more bothered me.

Last edited:
Old school political debate... :p
If only our politicians were just as entertaining

[video=youtube;7UMHzNQIF20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMHzNQIF20[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth