Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Hey guys, I would avoid H&M. Their merchandise is NOTORIOUSLY poorly made . . .

Doug C said:
Flattop.. what's H&M, got a link? I'd like to see that shirt. I personally think the Gap one is awesome, I was in there the other day and they've got one with pocket flaps. I thought they were all without flaps at the Gap, but anyway this one looked great and only $45.

Doug C

flat-top said:
H&M( http://www.hm.com/us/#/startns/)
is a mall based super Euro trendy clothing store. It seems like you can't really shop online so alas, no links to the shirt.
The Gap shirts are great and, along with the J Crew, seem to be the most authentic styles you can find at the local mall. Oh and of course the Levis store has great very authentic looking plaid chinstrap shirts.

Doug C

Practically Family
flat-top said:
The Gap has introduced "The New Utility Collection":
http://www.gap.com/browse/subDivision.do?cid=5065
The internet campaign is pretty weak, but in-store collateral and the clothes themselves are military and workwear inspired.

From that on-line presentation I have to say I'm most impressed with the vintage looking sweatshirts, they look great IMO and are 100% cotton too!! I can't understand why in the world they wouldn't make the matching bottoms though.. vintage looking sweat bottoms are hard to come by. I'll probably go by a Gap this evening 'cause I'm still looking for their chambreys to go on sale in my area.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Would 1930s-50s leisure wear be the same or similar to work wear, because I'm going on a few day trip to a lake where I'll hike, and I wanted to know the appropriate attire I'd wear in 30s-50s clothes.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That denim work jacket with removable buttons from the Levis store that I spoke about a few pages back is now only $24!!! I just picked one up. Unbeatable for the price. It has a plaid flannel lining and an old Levis logo on the buttons. SCORE!

mike

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
That denim work jacket with removable buttons from the Levis store that I spoke about a few pages back is now only $24!!! I just picked one up. Unbeatable for the price. It has a plaid flannel lining and an old Levis logo on the buttons. SCORE!

Great! Any pictures of that one...?

Doug C

Practically Family
Yes pics of that jacket flat-top, please.. Does it have an official name on a hang tag or the receipt somewhere or a model number? Any chance you'd proxy me one?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doug C said:
Yes pics of that jacket flat-top, please.. Does it have an official name on a hang tag or the receipt somewhere or a model number? Any chance you'd proxy me one?
On the reciept it is called a Sack Coat, so mattfink is indeed correct:
mattfink said:
I wouldn't call it a "USN" style jacket. It's more of a low budget version of this jacket:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p386_Levi--180-s--1920-s-SACK-COAT.html
It does look like that one, only in dark unwashed denim with white stitching (hence my USN comparison/ confusion).

Doug C

Practically Family
So, you have that one too charlie (WWIIimp USN jacket).. Mattfink has it and posted some pics a few pages back. I've been considering it for a while now. What is your take on the denim, does it seem quality to you? Fit true to size? Oh and has yours aged any, I'm kind of interested in how it will fade.

mattfink

Practically Family
Still not much wear on my WWII Impressions USN denim jacket. Denim jackets seem to take much longer to break in/show wear than jeans.

Doug C

Practically Family
Man, what a savings that sack coat is that Flat-top found compared to the expensive LVC one that was linked to. I guess the arguement is that the denim on the LVC one is superior and I have to believe that that has to do with more than just a selvage edge (assumeing the LVC one has it). But for something that I wouldn't necessarily be wearing constantly - I'd take the cheaper one any day. Of course that's ignoreing the finish on each.
Yes mattfink you are so right about the slow wear on denim jackets. I didn't understand that until I recently picked up an LVC type II jacket that had been soaked once then stored for nine years. The denim is so dark that I can't imagine real wear showing up for several years down the road. I guess jeans are different just because they are worn from morning to bedtime and often when a jacket isn't even needed. I know that I'll proabbly have to hold that USN jacket in my hand to get a feel for the denim and compare it with the various denim in my LVC collection (which is all I have as a point of reference).

mattfink

Practically Family
The sack coat that they Levi's stores are selling doesn't compare to the LVC model. It's a much more cheaply made jacket. I have to agree that the retail price on the LVC model was way too high, but I got mine for quite a bit below that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe