Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repair Advice Needed! Texas Sun on a Vintage 3X.

MAPip

New in Town
Hello everyone, thank you for taking time to help!

This is my wife's Sage Green 3X (size 7); we left it out in the car and I had no idea it was possible for the sweatband to literally melt off, but it did (see pics). Houston was lovely this summer.

The hat was heavily distorted as well, but I managed to do an improvised reblock and it seems to have come out ok (please let me know if not).

This may be silly, but is there any way to trim and salvage the sweatband? Also, the liner got wrinkled and I tried steaming it without much help.

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35

This is my wife's Sage Green 3X (size 7); we left it out in the car and I had no idea it was possible for the sweatband to literally melt off, but it did (see pics). Houston was lovely this summer.

The hat was heavily distorted as well, but I managed to do an improvised reblock and it seems to have come out ok (please let me know if not).

This may be silly, but is there any way to trim and salvage the sweatband? Also, the liner got wrinkled and I tried steaming it without much help.
As a hat restorer I would say there is no way coming back from that level of damage. Cheap composite leather reacts that badly to heat and steam. If you are willing you can pick up a new leather sweat, get the supplier to cut it to the desired size. Then you just need to stitch back into the hat. $30 delivered for a top quality leather and about an hour of your time. I can walk you through it if you go that route. Scott at FineVintageFedoras on Etsy sells great quality sweats and will cut/sew to size.

MAPip

New in Town
Thank you for the tip! I will order one today. I had no idea the leather would act that way; it was cartoonish how it stuck to the seat and came off like gum/wax when I picked up the hat.

RickP

Practically Family

For the sweatband logo, about all you can do is trim out the logo and save. Ive had good luck steaming liners over a hatblock or a ball and smoothing with the fingers. If the headliner cover is yellowed or "crinkly" You should be able to remove the celophane ( Gently pull it away from the liner and make a slit big enough to get a few fingers in.... gently pull and it should rip easily and should just pull out when you get to the stitches) Once removed the liner usually looks pretty decent.( I always strive to save the original liner even if its stained. ) Then its easier to clean and steam smooth. Id say keep an iron away from it... steam only and finger smoothing. Your liner doesnt look too bad... should be able to smooth out . I recently salvaged a trashed leather sweatband on a Knox 15 and re-affixed the embossed logo on top of a new liner... came out pretty well
Compress_20240902_182453_3172.jpg

MAPip

New in Town
Incredible work and advice. I think I’m going to put together a custom liner like this for her.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1