Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-did it

Cuban Rum? hmmm, try some Venezuelan or even Jamaican. I've always found them to be a much nicer tipple.

Oh, yes, the hat. RBH, i like the return to the classic panama dimensions of that ribbon. I, for one, think that the panama hat is the absolute worst place for a thin ribbon. thin ribbons, when they work well (rarely) are best in a low contrast setting, like gold on chocolate brown . . . or cream on slightly lighter cream. The black-on-white thin ribbon treatment just - to my eyes - doesn't work, aesthetically.

bk

Flieger

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:
Baron Kurtz said:
Cuban Rum? hmmm, try some Venezuelan or even Jamaican. I've always found them to be a much nicer tipple. bk

I've tried both Venezuelan (Diplom?°tico, Santa Teresa 1796) and Jamaican (capt Morgan) rum, and while I find them all enjoyable I have a problem finding them here in Sweden.... I can't. Cuban rum I can find without any problem. [huh]

/F

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I find Jamaican rum is usually a bit flat. I tend to go for Guyana or Venezuela.

For Sweden and most of the EU outside of the UK at least, this online shop seems to be the best, I hear, unless you find what you want in a shop.

(Disclaimer: no shares or other interest)

Flieger

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
For Sweden and most of the EU outside of the UK at least, this online shop seems to be the best, I hear, unless you find what you want in a shop.

Thanks for the link. I have not yet tried to order liquor online but this place seem like a good place to start.

To RBH: Sorry for hijacking this thread and turn it into a booze chat... but YOU started it! :D

/F

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, RBH!

I've got a white straw with a black ribbon about that size-it's one of my favorites!

And thanks for posting the tips on reshaping the crown. I may give it a go one of these days.

Cheers,
Tom

RBH

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Cuban Rum? hmmm, try some Venezuelan or even Jamaican. I've always found them to be a much nicer tipple.

Oh, yes, the hat. RBH, i like the return to the classic panama dimensions of that ribbon. I, for one, think that the panama hat is the absolute worst place for a thin ribbon. thin ribbons, when they work well (rarely) are best in a low contrast setting, like gold on chocolate brown . . . or cream on slightly lighter cream. The black-on-white thin ribbon treatment just - to my eyes - doesn't work, aesthetically.

bk

Baron, I am slowly coming around to your way of thinking. I have found myself
picking up my thin ribbons less and less the last month. Even in the heat I have been wearing my 1936 TVA and my Adventurebilt and my old wide ribbon knock-a-round panama.
I dont think I will be selling my thin ribbon collection anytime soon but I truly have enjoyed the change.
My one exception is my Supernatural panama with the thin ribbon, it really looks great to me but the straw is vintage and has the aged look to it.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I tried a thin(ner) ribbon, chocolate brown, on my panama ... it lasted all of about 20 minutes and I had to go back to the original black. I thought it looked great in my hand, but something about all of that white space just didn't sit right on my head.

I also tried a 12 year old Scotch ... I think that'll be around longer than 20 minutes ;)

RBH

Bartender
HamletJSD said:
I tried a thin(ner) ribbon, chocolate brown, on my panama ... it lasted all of about 20 minutes and I had to go back to the original black. I thought it looked great in my hand, but something about all of that white space just didn't sit right on my head.

I also tried a 12 year old Scotch ... I think that'll be around longer than 20 minutes ;)

12 year old scotch, NOW that would not last as as long as your chocolate brown ribbon ! lol

Baron, I think I understand what you mean, with my Strat it took awhile after I had it in my hand to come to like the way the back brim turned up, right now I kinda like the different look it gives the hat. My Strat is the oldest fedora I have [I think] so it really does not get worn much.

Mark G

A-List Customer
It's funny, the reasons for our hat choices. I absolutely love stratoliners and open roads, have from the first time I saw them in the movies I grew up with (Lee Marvin in "Pocket Money," Robert Ryan in "Bad Day at Black Rock," anything Hoyt Axton was in). I just remember seeing these hats and thinking wow, that's a great look. I don't even know why I felt this way, all I know is that Jeff Bridges sure looked sharp in his Penny's Marathon.

RBH, I think the ribbon looks great on this Panama.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

PS. RBH, love your avatar; today is my birthday and I'm feeling more like it everyday.

RBH

Bartender
Thanks Mark, I love my thin ribboned fedoras!

The avatar came from a photo DanielJones made at Disney a couple years ago. I talked about it a little in another post.
The hat is a Peters Brothers Indy straw. I have loved the photo since I found it over on Club Obi Wan.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hey, RBH -- I like where your panama wound up. Looks good. I also applaud your willingness to experiment -- it isn't 'til we try something out that we can get a handle on whether it works or not. So, I think your little re-styling adventure has actually been pretty instructive. Thanks!

I think thin ribbons are my bread and butter, but I, too, have been enjoying wider ribbons lately. These days, I'm really liking the look of the "mid-ribbon" -- something in the range of 3/4" to 1". The Stetson Playboy has a 3/4" ribbon, and I think that is a great look. At the wider end of the spectrum, I'm with BK -- 1.5" seems about as wide as I really want to go.

As far as Stratoliners and such, it's funny, but I think that I've given up my quest for one. For one thing, it's not so often that one comes around in my size. But putting that to the side, the fact is that, given the similarity in style between the Open Road and the Strat, I prefer to go with the wider brim on the OR, rather than the 2.5" brim on the Strat. Still -- the Strat has a certain nostalgic allure, so I guess I can't rule it out completely...

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There's nothing wrong with a wide ribbon, and this one looks good on this hat. I think a light colored thin ribbon would get lost on the hat, and a dark thin would look out of place. What you have on there compliments it nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe