Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pulled the trigger langlitz columbia

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just a theory popped in my head, it’s because it’s not dyed through, the dying was applied from both sides but the color didn’t meet in the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
The thickness of the horsehide vs the medium cowhide can be seen in this photo. Now, they are not of the same thickness, & Langlitz doesn’t claim they are. I’ll get a macro lens tomorrow so I can take better close up shots.

8f05e7abdaa5a1cdc6d0f4acfc8c27bd.jpg
5a08e8f36a5e6715f73410ac3091fedd.jpg

The horsehide is much more pliable & creases easily. I am convinced it’s sourced from the same tannery as the Eastman Luftwaffe

Sent from my iPhone using TapatS

The thickness of the horsehide vs the medium cowhide can be seen in this photo. Now, they are not of the same thickness, & Langlitz doesn’t claim they are. I’ll get a macro lens tomorrow so I can take better close up shots.

8f05e7abdaa5a1cdc6d0f4acfc8c27bd.jpg
5a08e8f36a5e6715f73410ac3091fedd.jpg

The horsehide is much more pliable & creases easily. I am convinced it’s sourced from the same tannery as the Eastman Luftwaffe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know this is an old thread but but can I ask your opinion whether they are glued or not? Thank you. I actually created a new thread (https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/langlitz-mid-weight-cowhide-glued-or-not.108612/)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
No they are NOT glued.

Langlitz uses the 3.5oz motochap cowhide from the Hidehouse in California. It's really no different than what Horween would call their Chrompak. Quality stuff. Dyed through with a semi aniline or pigment coating on top, depending on colors.

The money is also in their patterns, less so the leather. Except they want 1200 dollars for horsehide. That seemed a bit strange to me.

My next Langlitz will be in goatskin though.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
No they are NOT glued.

Langlitz uses the 3.5oz motochap cowhide from the Hidehouse in California. It's really no different than what Horween would call their Chrompak. Quality stuff. Dyed through with a semi aniline or pigment coating on top, depending on colors.

The money is also in their patterns, less so the leather. Except they want 1200 dollars for horsehide. That seemed a bit strange to me.

My next Langlitz will be in goatskin though.
Thanks for the verification! What advantages does goatskin have over the cowhide can I ask?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the verification! What advantages does goatskin have over the cowhide can I ask?
It's stronger leather. I have no scientific back up but somehow my goat jackets just feel strong when compared to other hides.

If you already have a cowhide Langlitz it doesn't hurt to ask for a goatskin sample. The goat surface grain feels harder than the cowhide or even horsehide or even bison. But goat is the softest and easiest to wear out of them all. Hope I am making sense. Hardest surface grain, softest core. The goat grain looks and feels like the skin of Ben Grimm, after he becomes the Thing.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
It's stronger leather. I have no scientific back up but somehow my goat jackets just feel strong when compared to other hides.

If you already have a cowhide Langlitz it doesn't hurt to ask for a goatskin sample. The goat surface grain feels harder than the cowhide or even horsehide or even bison. But goat is the softest and easiest to wear out of them all. Hope I am making sense. Hardest surface grain, softest core. The goat grain looks and feels like the skin of Ben Grimm, after he becomes the Thing.
too many options to choose from, not enough money
thanks! I may go with the goat this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1